News:

• April 26, 2024, 07:21:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I think I've identified what we're missing....  (Read 5380 times)

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: I think I've identified what we're missing....
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2019, 07:46:49 AM »
Cool!
Thanks much. Now to show my wife. Wish me luck...

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2019, 03:27:19 PM »
I have been a most blessed man in that my wife has always supported  me in my hobby. I resumed flying control line again shortly after we were married, I started to fly R/C pattern competition in the late 60's, and she was my call girl. She called the pattern maneuvers while I was flying. I retired from R/C pattern in 94 as I had started flying control line again in 93, and was hooked all over again.

How many wives would hold a plane with an unmuffled Anderson Spitfire on gasoline. Mine did.

We are the last of a dying breed as far as I can see. There is something about modeling that grabs certain people and no one can explain why It is the way we are wired. I fell in love with it when I was about 5 years old watching the guys who had just come home from the war in the 40's flying ignition.

I never lost that passion for the hobby. Control line and free flight were the last of those who build and fly. I can still smell the balsa in those Scientific hollow logs I started flying control line with when you opened the box.

Things I learned that you can not learn in most hobbies. Perseverance, how to solve problems, how to engineer a better something. I spent the last 26 years of my working life as a trouble shooter for 220 miles of petroleum pipeline and four pump stations. My experience in model aviation was a great help to me.

I do not fly competition anything any more as my back problems keep me from being active. But I still love the hobby. My wife and I just celebrated our 60th wedding anniversary. We are so blessed to have  so many great memories of the people we have met through model competition. I remember many a contest where my wife would stand in the sun at 100 degree days while I flew. She has been a keeper from day one. Now her knees and allergies keep her in doors most of the time. 

So we had our fun in the sun, and some great memories. I am forever grateful for this hobby and the joy it has brought me that not many can know unless they have been involved in it.
Jim Kraft

Dwayne

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2019, 07:32:56 PM »
Finally found this video, I knew it was out there somewhere. Same pilot in Landres.
I find it amazing how she only takes two steps to do each lap. It was very interesting to watch "live".

Looks very smooth and in control

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here