News:

• May 03, 2024, 05:06:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I see some people are not brain dead  (Read 10571 times)

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
I see some people are not brain dead
« on: August 23, 2007, 06:16:56 AM »
On the other forum they have dug up the old threads that stated the birth of this forum. Its all about weight! I said this along time ago and some have jumped on the band wagon. Some are designing around 50 oz planes but after flying those they will soon realize 40 oz will fly better.

We have a guy here in St.Louis with a 16 oz plane who flies when I have to put my stuff away. Light planes do fly well in the wind! Period I have seen it and flown them first hand.

Lets get the ball rolling with this thread (but keep it civil) around your ideas and weight. Please explain why you think it does not matter or does..

And yes Randy Smith is right a big plane will sore better (Imagined or not) but the light plane will be easer to fly.
AMA 12366

Offline Vincent Corwell

• Commander
Re: I see some people are not brain dead
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 06:28:40 AM »
Robert,
I have to agree that lighter loading is usually better,
but here in Dublin we fly more in windy conditions than
calm, and find that my planes at 14 ozs per sq ft wing
loading crash a lot less than those lighter ones which
are at 12 ozs sq ft, penetration and ground speed
would appear to have better flights??

Good thread though

Vincent

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 06:37:01 AM »
The thread on SSW was about smaller airplanes. Smaller means lighter ( I would hope ). CONCENTRATED WEIGHT is what I am talking about. I am not good at explaining things in type but if you were here I could show you by example and you would understand exactly what I mean!

Just like bell crank location. The farther you move it back in the wing the more it the plane will feel on the handle nose heavy (weather the plane is or not). So location does matter to me. Draw it out on paper for your self.
AMA 12366

Offline Vincent Corwell

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 06:46:26 AM »
AAhhh you mean like when the electric flyers
move the batter back , the mass is concentrated enough
that the CG remains but the bar-bell is reduced

(Is this mechanics or physics? )

OK that is a valid point , if the engine mass is lighter for
a given airframe, same CG , same all up weight the control
is sweeter...am I right?

Vincent

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 06:49:25 AM »
(Is this mechanics or physics? )
OK that is a valid point , if the engine mass is lighter for
a given airframe, same CG , same all up weight the control
is sweeter...am I right?
Vincent

CORRECT!!

It will start and stop the turn with less effort.
AMA 12366

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 06:55:40 AM »
Disclaimer: I am not an expert on this subject. But here are my observations.

I have two planes that I am flying right now. A SkyRay35 and an F-Twister.
Both have been rebuilt and gained a little weight. (But then I don't build light. HB~>)I have flown both on windy days. The SkyRay will get “bumped” around in the wind, the Twister will not get bumped as much.
The Twister is a heavy pig. I let some advance flyers fly it and they say it handles nice.

Another thing that came to mind, is I have had lean runs with both planes. The SkyRay I can tolerate, the Twister is hard on the arm. And Ryan's ARF Tutor II is way lighter then my Twister and it flys very nice in the wind.

Something that make me say “Hmmmmm?”

So I would have to agree that lighter is better, but maybe not on smaller planes???
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 06:57:53 AM »
...Just like bell crank location. The farther you move it back in the wing the more it the plane will feel on the handle nose heavy (weather the plane is or not). So location does matter to me. Draw it out on paper for your self.

Do you really mean bellcrank location or are you talking leadout position?

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 06:59:53 AM »
lead out postion is in the correct place for the cg of the wing. If you move the bell crank back in the wing (when you built it) it will feel on the handle input nose heavy. At least it does to me when I have done this.
AMA 12366

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 07:26:43 AM »
WOW!

I have been in the Billy Werwage "train of thought" camp since 1964.  That's when I built my first Ares!   Sir Robin of Hunt is a member of that camp, also.

Between them is 4 World Championships, so that lends SOME credence to what they say.  Especially Billy (no offense to Bobby!) who won in '70, '72, AND 2004!  A period of 34 years!!  A lot changed in that period.

Bob has said that you CAN build a stunt plane too light, but that he never has.  I know Billy wants to build as light as is practical.

A WHOLE lot goes into trimming a plane.  No matter the weight, a plane has to be trimmed correctly to fly in any condition, good or bad.  The two I refer to have AWESOME natural ability, and especially in Billy's case, have flown 1000s of stunt patterns.

I have found the lighter wing loading planes to fly best in all overall conditions when trimmed well.  I know the guys who like the heavier wing loadings will say different, but I really wonder if they have taken the time to WORK a lightly loaded plane into the trim of their "Normal" planes?

Hey, it is all a matter of personal preferences.  Some guys have won th eNATS with panes so nose heavy that other NATS winners could not have flown a pattern with them, and vice versa.  Me, I want it as light as I can reasonably get it and powered correctly with slightly rearward C/G.  My GeoJuno is such a plane.  54 oz. with a PA 61 on pipe, and using a Bob Hunt Super Saturn wing of around 670 sq. in.s
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 09:12:58 AM »
If it turns, can be flown in the wind and doesn't do anything that you are not expecting who cares how much it weighs. The best flying stunt ship in my fleet has 14+ ounce wing loading. I know several things contribute to how well anything will fly the pattern I think weight is about the middle of the list with the engine run being at the top.

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 09:29:36 AM »
On the other forum they have dug up the old threads that stated the birth of this forum. Its all about weight! I said this along time ago and some have jumped on the band wagon. Some are designing around 50 oz planes but after flying those they will soon realize 40 oz will fly better.

We have a guy here in St.Louis with a 16 oz plane who flies when I have to put my stuff away. Light planes do fly well in the wind! Period I have seen it and flown them first hand.

Lets get the ball rolling with this thread (but keep it civil) around your ideas and weight. Please explain why you think it does not matter or does..

And yes Randy Smith is right a big plane will sore better (Imagined or not) but the light plane will be easer to fly.

You're welcome. H^^
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 10:16:43 AM »
This purely anecdotal and comes from someone who stretches the truth by calling himself an Intermediate pilot.  I have two planes one is a 32oz Stuka Stunt with a Fox .35 the other is much larger Brodak Cardinal (don't know the weight) with a B-40 on it.  The SS will turn tighter and is quicker to respond to control input.  I noticed the difference the first time I flew the SS and came to believe lighter is better.  It could be that the SS is just a better designed stunt plane, but I think the weight has a lot to do with the difference. Now if I could only build light.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 10:34:34 AM »
lead out postion is in the correct place for the cg of the wing. If you move the bell crank back in the wing (when you built it) it will feel on the handle input nose heavy. At least it does to me when I have done this.

How did you test this from flight to flight?
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 10:57:16 AM »
How did you test this from flight to flight?

Boy this is old beat to death subject... Joe Gilbert wasn't buying into the bellcrank position makes no difference talks so he took a U-Key-35 with different length push rods to the field. Flew several flights back to back with the bellcrank in various positions.. His conclusion.. It don't matter where the bellcrank is located.. I believe he duplicated the same test someone else (I can't remember who) did back some time ago and came to the same conclusion... I would tend to buy into a test like this more so than what someone perceives.

Sorry Sparky I can't buy either your weight or bellcrank theories, too many other variables can have the same perceived effect in the final results.

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 10:59:53 AM »
As far as Bellcrank position goes it should have no effect.  Sounds like when you moved it back you LOs were dragging and it felt sluggish giving you a nose heavy feel.  When you move the BC to rearward position the LO exits need to be able to handle the angle.  Then there will be no difference in feel.  At least that is how it has worked for me. 

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 11:02:32 AM »
Hey, guys, "perception" is all it really is about.  And that is the rest of the story.........
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 11:07:43 AM »
Sorry Sparky I can't buy either your weight or bellcrank theories, too many other variables can have the same perceived effect in the final results.

Word.

I know several people (Joe Gilbert, Bill Wilson, Lew Woolard off the top of my head) who have done similar tests and come to similar results.  Lou Woolard was said to have placed the bellcrank under the STAB and it made no difference.  the only thing that matters to the airplane is where the leadouts terminate in relation to the airplane.

There are lots of "testing" discussions that have zero baseline.  I constantly here people compare two different brands of props like they are equal.  Like, "I took of Brand X diameter/pitch and replaced it with Brand Y diameter/pitch" and then compare the two like they are the same prop.  In truth, in this case the user has no real idea what the diameter/pitch effect was because the props are different.  the only way to test prop pitch/diameter to load/speed/performance is re-pitch one prop (preferably between flights).  In this case you have a constant, which is the one prop.

So, unless you have built a plane that you can move the bellcrank between flights, you have no idea what the effect really is to performance.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bob Kruger

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 11:16:32 AM »

So, unless you have built a plane that you can move the bellcrank between flights, you have no idea what the effect really is to performance.

Brad;

I think this can be done.

Your point makes for an interesting experiment using one of Phil Cartier's or Jim Pearson's foam winged ships with the bellcrank mounted externally.  The fuselage of the Ukey could be drilled in 1/4" or 1/2" intervals, and the bellcrank moved forward and rear to see if there is a difference with the way it performs and "feels."

It certainly would eliminate a lot of variables between different ships, engines, etc.

V/r

Bob 
Bob Kruger
AMA 42014

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 11:24:21 AM »
Bob K,

Read Bob Reeves reply above.  He states that Joe G did exactly as you are saying.  The BC placement theory has been proven out over and over.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 11:26:49 AM »
Read reply #15..............

We can do all the scientific stuff we want to, prove and disprove all sorts of *theories*, and it will not change a thing.   If we do not *like* the way our plane flies (*perception* here!) we will not fly it real well.  There will always be *something* that we want to change.

So, if you like a plane that flies with a 15 oz. wing loading and about 1/3rd of the power, then that's great!  If you like a plane that has 7 oz wing loading and a 588 crate Hemi in it, then great!

There have been MANY recent designs that are very different that win.  If it isn't the ability of the pilot, practice time, and the *perception* he has gained from flying his plane, then we would ALL be flying one design with one engine on one length of lines, ad infinitum......  Billy wins in 2004 with a Geo Bolt and a PA 61, Remi wins in 2006 with a Gee Bee and a Saito 56............... completely different in all ways!

Why is the "proving" of ones own point so important?  After all it is only an opinion that each of us form in our own minds regardless......... agree or disagree, it all comes down to what we *perceive*.

If it ain't *perception* then what is it??????????????????????????????

Remember, in the US of A, we all have the "perfect right" to be *Perfectly Wrong*.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 11:27:23 AM »
My current ship is about 625 squre inches and has a ridiculously fat, blunt wing. Powered with an OS 40VF, it weighs about 53oz. What I figured was middle of the ballpark for the design. Seems to fly pretty well (I've had the highest scores I've ever gotten in a contest with it). It also has a fairly long tail moment and a very large tailplane along with a lot of side area aft of the CG. I don't see it as a light plane for the size, but it isn't heavy either. It's a great wind plane. Not much control load, but you know it's out there. It's really very easy to fly. Bill's right, I suppose. Preception is everything. I liked it enough that I'm building another one with the same aerodynamics that will probably be about the same weight.

I doubt if it were 5 ounces lighter it would fly any better. I don't think 5 ounces heavier would hurt it much either.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 11:52:12 AM »
I have found out, purely through experience, that we all will trim a plane just a *little* different.  Some will trim a WHOLE LOT different from the way we fly.

Although we might be able to fly each other's planes pretty good, there is always the time when you put up a flight on someone else's plane and you're just glad to get it back down in one piece.  Yet, the owner can fly it pretty darn good!  Why?  'cause, THANK GOD, we're all a *little* different.

For those that don't "know me", I ain't the biggest guy around, but I ain't the smallest, either.   Not the strongest nor the weakest.  I can still peg the "hand dyno" (or come close) yet I have NO DESIRE to fly a heavy *FEELING* airplane..  I guess, that if I could get by with it, I would fly with maybe two or three pounds of line tension.  The lighter the better!  Just barely enough to feel it.  BUT, that is only the way I like to fly.............. and I do not fly enough to be a threat to the top 20 anytime soon.  But, I have flown a lot of good airplanes, and had some GREAT fliers fly mine.  This is just my OWN *PERCEPTION*.  My *opinion*, just like everyone else's.  No better and no less valid.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 11:53:23 AM »
Hi Guys,
This is an interesting topic. The first time I read someone actually advocating using a heavy plane was Ron Adams in his "Marut" article. He felt that his heavy plane with big enough wing area and added span loading gave him an advantage in flying at windy contests. At that time this seemed to be a radical idea.  Times have certainly changed.

There are certain themes that I see re-occuring in discussions on how an airplanes size / weight / wing loading effects it's performance in the wind.
There is the "big plane acts like a kite theme" vs the "small light plane can't handle wind as well as the bigger heavier plane" theme and there are other design philosophies like Scott Baier's "Stuntfire" based on light weight, big drag, and big power.

There is a phrase I either heard or made up years ago : "There is no such thing as "scale-air".  This simply means that the effects of wind on an object of a given mass/weight and given area size are directly connected irregardless of "aerodynamic relationships" like wing loading and span loading.

In other words, there is a direct "real world" relation between a planes weight and area and the wind it is flying through.  An advocate of heavier
weight design used this example: "On the ocean, which gets tossed around more by waves a motorboat or an ocean liner? The motor boat gets moved more but the liner with greater mass/weight cuts through the waves and is less disturbed by normal wave action. It requires bigger waves to effect the liner."  They then said the same effect applies to stunt planes and wind.

I have built a "too light" plane before, I had a 30 oz. Nobler size plane that flew great in calm but in wind it would hop and jump straight up and down during level and inverted flight and during the tops and bottoms of squares.
Nose weight didn't help because the whole airframe jumped straight up and down kind of like in the speedboat in the wave analogy. The plane was destroyed by a freak accident so I never really had an opportunity to try adding weight.

On the other side, many of us have had the unpleasant experience of flying a heavy airplane in wind , which turned into a runaway freight train with barely controllable "windup" speed that increases in loops.

Like everything else in stunt design there is an acceptable median range of weight that can be made to work but there are problems that can occur at each end of the weight range.  When you plug in wing loading and span loading you can impact the effects of wind on a given mass weight but the relation between the mass/weight and wind remains.

Example: If you take a piece of foam shaped like a bolt and a steel bolt of the same surface area  and tie a string on each of them and spin them in wind you will find the foam piece will be more affected by the wind than the steel bolt because of it's absolute mass/weight relationship to the wind. Aerodynamics plays a lesser role in the results than mass/weight.

So, getting back to Robert's idea that a smaller and lighter plane can fly well then if it has a workable mass/weight  balanced with a workable wing and span loading then the answer is yes it will work well.

Bigger and heavier planes can also be made to work as well but the " kite in the wind" aspect of bigger planes seems to be driving the talk about moving to smaller and lighter planes.

There is also speed and thrust that allows a given airframe to cut through wind and turbulence. We don't really want lots of speed in stunt so the prospect of a smaller plane of appropriate weight with sufficient thrust could be a potent combination to fly in wind.  

A 1/2 A combat plane weighs very little but it's speed and thrust plus low drag allows it to be reasonably stable flying in wind so speed and thrust does help.

It is amazing what people can make work that so making absolute statements
about what will work can sometimes come back and mock you but my experience tells me that there is such a thing as "too light" and "too heavy" in terms of absolute weight. I could be wrong, or I drew the wrong conclusions from my experiences but I don't think so. I tend to favor striving for light weight rather than heavier weight but I don't always succeed.

Wing loading helps us to quantify a planes estimated weight in it's relation to the available lift so we can design & produce a flyable plane within that weight range and it will also directly effect how a plane handles the wind.
A big plane with a light wing loading will act more like a "kite" that a smaller plane with the same wing loading or a big plane witth a heavier wing loading.

In the end it is about finding the right balance that works for each of us most of the time. I am in agreement with Bill on this point if it works for you then do it.  Randy, seems to have found that balance that works for him.

I am going to stay out of the bellcrank location discussion.

As, for the idea of bigger planes "presenting better than small planes" or scoring better than small planes I think That some judge re-education might be called for to move judges out of some unconscious bias in favor of bigger planes.  The judge is there to evaluate shapes, intersections,bottoms,tracking and etc. and not the object doing those maneuvers.  The first step for a judge to overcome any bias is to become aware that he is doing it.  Most judges are "good people" who want to do a good job and would overcome any bias base on plane size to the best of their ability. Now, If a big plane creates some optical illusion of a better pattern that I am not aware of then that is a more difficult obstacle to overcome.  There seems to be an attitude that big planes wins and that is just the way it is and there is nothing to do about it.
My question is Why? Why can't something be done about it?  This is not an attack or a tirade just an honest question we should ask ourselves.

Anyway, All of the above is just my opinions based on my experience messing with airplanes all these years.

Till next time,

Pat Robinson

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 12:57:20 PM »
TO:PatRobinson

Thanks you for your clear-headed and calm presentation. I enjoyed reading it.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 01:13:02 PM »
TO:PatRobinson

Thanks you for your clear-headed and calm presentation. I enjoyed reading it.

Hi Brother Dave!

We're all having fun here. y1  Pat has a way of sounding calm doesn't he??

Heck, I sound like I'm off the chain sometimes, and actually I am so calm I almost fall asleep!

But it struck me this morning................ there is very *little* that we can PROVE through empirical evidence in this hallowed event.  Everything that *really* matters is a matter of preference.  What *we* perceive it to be is what it is, at least in our own minds. ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 01:36:42 PM by Bill Little »
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 01:22:11 PM »
I just had to chuckle at the irony of the author of this thread asking everyone to be civil in the initial post.

Then titling the thread "I see some people are not brain dead"  LL~ LL~ LL~

Tell you what, Sparky, you agree that a zero oz per square foot wing loading isn't the holy grail and I'll agree that thirty oz per square foot isn't ideal either.  Then we can both agree to "meet" somewhere in the middle.  You at the lighter end of the middle and me at the heavier end.  More or less like we've done all along at the flying field.

Any chance we can have a civil agreement on that?

"Brain Dead"Ted

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 01:43:16 PM »
Thanks, Ted.  But tell me, if we all agreed on the same points, boy would we all be very, very dull!!!!!!! **)

I still say it all comes down to our perception in the end.  I mean, you and David fly similar planes along with Brett.  Paul's Impact is different to a degree.  Billy, with the Geo Bolts,  Bobby with the Genesis Extreme, Orestes with the Shark, Randy with the Katana, Derek with the Evolution (similar to Randy!), and on and on.  Different approaches, and all very very good designs in the hands of each pilot.   Why, because it is what each individual perceives to be the best thing they can provide to give them the best chance to win.  All different, but the same...........

Thoughts?

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2007, 01:56:16 PM »
I just had to chuckle at the irony of the author of this thread asking everyone to be civil in the initial post.

Then titling the thread "I see some people are not brain dead"  LL~ LL~ LL~

"Brain Dead"Ted

BDT,

Now that is funny.  Good one.

Brad

PS:  I remember this thread being on SSW, what 2-3 years ago?  I remember saying that 13 oz per sq ft wing loading seems to be the number for collecting the brass in the USA.  Some are little lighter, some are little heavier, but 13 oz per sq ft seems to be the average.

PPS:  Also (for Bill) when I drink tequila I have a perception that I am super cool and funny.  Neither are true when I sober up.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2007, 02:22:56 PM »
Hi guys,
Dave thanks for your kind words I appreciate it. It is great to have the Adamisin family on Stunt Hanger.

Bill, I can run off at the mouth like anyone else but the act of typing forces me to engage my brain at least a little better than I would when I am just talking.   LL~

Bill, let's use your idea of "perception" and apply it to a proposed small plane.
This plane has 590 -610 sq" with a 54"-56" span and it weighs 46-50 oz.
One flyer uses a 36 tuned pipe setup, another a PA/RO 40 tuned pipe setup and yet another uses a PA/RO 51 tuned pipe setup because each of their setups satisfies each of their own perceived comfort level and goals.
All three planes can objectively deliver a good pattern performance but each flyer is motivated by his own perception of "what works" that is turn shaped and colored by each flyers indvidual experience.

I don't think it is inevitable that only big planes win but if a given number of top flyers moved to smaller planes and judges were coached to avoid bias then the door could be opened for various sizes of planes to win.
I have read comments that a flyer would prefer a smaller plane but won't use one because it won't win. Does anyone else see a problem with that?
Like I said before, this is simply a question we all need to honestly ask ourselves.

Ted, given that you are already one of the top guys moving towards a smaller plane design it would seem you have moved well beyond the "Brain-dead" category.  LL~ ;).  Best of luck with your bold design move.

Randy Smith was ahead of the curve in modern small planes with his Vector 40 and his other 40 designs but I am sure you and Brett will bring your own
twist to the mix. I'm sure everyone is looking forward to it.

Till next time,
                                                   Pat Robinson

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2007, 02:30:15 PM »
Thanks, Ted.  But tell me, if we all agreed on the same points, boy would we all be very, very dull!!!!!!! **)

I still say it all comes down to our perception in the end.  I mean, you and David fly similar planes along with Brett.  Paul's Impact is different to a degree.  Billy, with the Geo Bolts,  Bobby with the Genesis Extreme, Orestes with the Shark, Randy with the Katana, Derek with the Evolution (similar to Randy!), and on and on.  Different approaches, and all very very good designs in the hands of each pilot.   Why, because it is what each individual perceives to be the best thing they can provide to give them the best chance to win.  All different, but the same...........

Thoughts?

Bill <><

Bill,

Our perception can actually only go so far. 

Brad gave me this good example.  Golfer walks up to his teacher with a nasty hook in his game.  Teacher says weaken your grip.  Golfer says that is uncomfortable and I cant do it.  Teacher says aim further right then.

The golfer perceives his grip is good and correct because it is comfortable and he "knows" it.  But the result is not good.

Same with CLPA.  People build and trim a certain way and it "feels" or is "perceived" to be rigt to them.  Yet they dont improve or win.  Sooner or later you have to learn that what you are perceiving to be good and or right is not received the same way with the judges.

So you have to step away from what you are doing and what is comfortable and go a different route get better and or be happy with where you are and accept it as the way it is.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2007, 02:34:08 PM »
What Doug said...
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2007, 02:52:01 PM »
Many people say there is not one design better than all others.  This is very true.  

BUT all the designs do have an optimum weight range, can be very narrow, and trim setting per the engine and prop that is being used.  It even goes over personal preference.  Because when it is optimum our Brain, even my very small one, will find out very quickly that the plane is performing very highly in all situations it is placed.

This may be out of our current perception or feel of what is right but the result can be better by a long long way. 

Example,  Sparky feels lighter is always better.  In some cases it may be true.  In others it may not.  What if he got on Ted's rig and his pattern was instantly better?  This would be out of his perception of what is right yet the result is a better pattern.  And Vice Versa could also be true if Ted tried Spark's rig and he scored better. 

Oh stunt, what a crazy hobby we partake in!

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2007, 03:29:11 PM »
I guess I should have read closer you latest post. In Nov 06 you were talking about return to your roots and go back to .40 powered airplanes. Your current post is suggesting 40 oz. airplanes. If you have switched gears then I'm not sure that I agree that 40 oz. is a magic number... it's only a part of the picture. 40 oz. on a 220 sq.in. airplane is going to be a real dog and on a 780 sq. in. airplane you'll have a potato chip on a string... a Robin passing gas will blow it around.
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2007, 03:36:50 PM »
Doug,

Like a lot of things we talk about, it's not just one thing. Over the past 4 years, I've moved the designs I've built steadily toward what the judges seemed to like. I've also moved my flying toward what I have preceived that judges want. The result? I've improved an average of 40 points over that time.

Now from my prespective, the high aspect designs I flew a few years ago were better fliers in some ways than what I am flying now and a heck of a lot of fun to fly. But they didn't score very well. Certainly I've improved, at least to some extent, and become a better pilot over that time. But it's also because the judges must believe the planes I'm flying are better planes. Not sure I agree, but the results certainly seem to say so.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2007, 03:46:56 PM »
Hmmm, lets do the math:

"Big airplanes score better"
"Small light airplanes fly better"

Now I'll revisit the design formula for the Eclipse, circa 1980: a relatively large airplane (63" span, 49" nose to tail) that still manages (at 567 sq in) to be smallish. 

Marty McFly, lets go BACK - TO THE FUTURE!!!  #^

(don't forget the white pants)  8)

(and also "take advantage of modern engines")

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2007, 04:07:06 PM »

Bill,

Our perception can actually only go so far. 

Brad gave me this good example.  Golfer walks up to his teacher with a nasty hook in his game.  Teacher says weaken your grip.  Golfer says that is uncomfortable and I cant do it.  Teacher says aim further right then.

The golfer perceives his grip is good and correct because it is comfortable and he "knows" it.  But the result is not good.

Same with CLPA.  People build and trim a certain way and it "feels" or is "perceived" to be right to them.  Yet they dont improve or win.  Sooner or later you have to learn that what you are perceiving to be good and or right is not received the same way with the judges.

So you have to step away from what you are doing and what is comfortable and go a different route get better and or be happy with where you are and accept it as the way it is.

Hi Doug,

That is correct up to a point and I do not disagree.  ;D

What I mean by perception goes beyond that.  If it is the best we can do, if it is the best *design* in our mind, then that is our *perception* of the airplane. 

I am NOT dealing with how we perceive our *flights and piloting skills*.  We are talking about airplanes now, models at that.

So guys take out a plane and move things around through having adjustable "whatever".  Does that "prove" in am empirical sense" anything?  Not really.  Most people when they have mastered flying a model airplane on the straight and level, then can actually fly a pattern (no one has or probably EVER WILL master that! LOL!!) then they have an "automatic response" to things that go on in flight, there is no conscious decision sometimes.  It is a automated response so to speak.  This happens sometimes when you pick up the handle and it is slightly off in your hand.  You automatically respond with a correction. Most times it isn't even noticed.  You adapt and adjust.

Yes, changes must be made to win.  And it takes more skill, and ESPECIALLY practice with someone who knows, to get to the top.  But along the way how we *perceive* that our equipment is functioning is all that we have.  What "we" do is going to be intrinsically different from others.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2007, 04:37:42 PM »

Any chance we can have a civil agreement on that?

"Brain Dead"Ted

Agreed
AMA 12366

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2007, 05:59:12 PM »
This discrepancy between what scores better and what flies better is a valid one. The cats who win the "big ones" go after planes that score better. Paul Walker stated that himself on the other forum, "I do what it takes to score, thats it".

Everything they do is oriented toward improving their score. Thats why Paul Walker, Ted Fancher and Dave Fitzgerald have almost 2 dozen Nats victories between them and a lot of guys who would like to win don't have one.  Their attitude is all about bringing their WHOLE PROGRAM including their plane, into line with what is going to increase their chance of success!! 

The bigger planes with their corresponding bigger motors score better-that is just the way it is. In F3A RC pattern, the size limit is 2 meters. What that means is that the plane can be much smaller than 2 meters but no bigger. Almost NO ONE flies a plane smaller than 2 meters because the bigger ships SCORE MORE POINTS!!!

Control line stunt contests are not held under a single range of conditions. Over time, 650-700 square inch size ships has proven to be the most capable and adaptable and controllable planform for the RANGE of conditions that we ACTUALLY experience in ACTUAL contests. This is not a North American phenomena, it is a world wide consensus based on actual experience.

That said, stunt has a very strong technology component to it. Quite possibly, some future technological development could alter the aforementioned planform iteration and we may yet see a significant change in the status quo. But as for now, its business as usual.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2007, 06:29:06 PM »

Ted,
Your experience trimming the Tucker Special seems especially applicable here, since you got to fly the same plane lighter and then heavier.  Would you like to comment on that experience, or would you prefer not to go there?

Kim Mortimore
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Eric Viglione

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2007, 09:05:51 PM »
I too would like to hear from Ted on the Tucker more. Especially since adding lead to the CG was essentially like dialing out flap, my question would be if he had adjustables (to dial out flap) or taken a number 11 to the flaps, does he think the results would have been similar, better or worse? I realize in a classic design, you don't want to cut flaps, but I'm speaking strictly from a performance point of view.

EricV

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2007, 11:09:33 PM »
I too would like to hear from Ted on the Tucker more. Especially since adding lead to the CG was essentially like dialing out flap, my question would be if he had adjustables (to dial out flap) or taken a number 11 to the flaps, does he think the results would have been similar, better or worse? I realize in a classic design, you don't want to cut flaps, but I'm speaking strictly from a performance point of view.

EricV

Eric and Kim,

First of all, I chose Eric's post to reply to for no other reason than he asked some specific questions about the test and I wanted to be able to reference them while typing this response.

The Tucker experiment did bear directly on this subject as well as another facet that hasn't been addressed too much here, the Netzeband Wall business.

In direct response to Eric's questions about flaps, yes, the ratio was adjustable and that was, in fact the first change we made clear back when the airplane was brand new at whatever VSC that was.  Trimming the flaps (as we did with Paul Ferrell's Cardinal for last year's Nats) would have been a part of the program as well except for the classic aspect of the thing.  Even though the rules wouldn't disqualify a model in classic for such a change, it clearly isn't in the spirit of the event to "modernize", even as an experiment.

One thing that should be said right up front.  My Tucker was under 40 oz when new and with a wing the size of this ship would have had plenty of lift available to fly stunt patterns without any flaps whatsoever (see Ringmasters with modern powerplants, Skyrays, ditto, and Jamieson Specials winning OTS and even a few classic events).  It must always be remembered that the primary purpose of flaps on any airplane is to improve the lift coefficient for a given area and planform of wing.  If the wing is c apable of producing the necessary lift to perform patterns as tight and small as the flyer is capable of doing, their use has to serve some purpose other than providing additional lift.  Sound odd?  All the lift you need is enough to support the airplane in the tightest corners you can fly repeatedly.

This concept is sort of at the heart of where Sparky and I part company on our demands for lighter airplanes.  If we were all trying to fly AMA patterns at rule book sizes using skinny winged, unflapped, underpowered stunters like they did back in the late '40s I would be a lot more in sync with Sparky.  The reality is we aren't doing that any more and there are other options available.

Sorry, getting carried away there.  Back to the Tucker.

Yes, any means of reducing the unnecessary byproducts of the large flaps would have been beneficial.  Less movement (done), less area (an even better approach if it weren't for the "classic" aspect. This is because: 1. cutting down the chord of the flaps would have simultaneously reduced the hinge loads and, therefore, the line tension necessary to deflect the flaps any amount, 2. in addition it would have reduced the total area of the wing and increased the aspect ratio both of which would have improved maneuverailty for a given input and, 3. would have increased the wing loading improving line tension and backing off the Netzeband wall a tiny bit); reducing them to partial span (maybe a better approach from the fidelity aspect) would also have been beneficial.

The additional weight approach was chosen for the obvious reason, to address the subject matter of this and other threads and the well documented differences of opinion on the subject.  The one thing we were absolutely certain of was that the added weight would assist the problem with inconsistent bottoms because it would make control response more positive and thus the airplane response more predictable.  The thing we hoped it would demonstrate was that performance capability would not be obviously negatively impacted.

To the best of our combined abilities (Brett and I took turns flying it and there were other "regulars" monitoring and commenting on the effect) the experiment more than satisfied our expectations.

The issue was addressed again when I took out the unflown Ruffy to VSC a couple years ago.  I expected a similar response with this ship and purposely took it out for first flights with a one to one control set up and the tools to change the ratios.  In this case your expectations were almost exclusively resolved by continually reducing the flap movement relative to the elevators.  It eventually got reasonably well trimmed but never really reached what I would call a competitive sort of response.  I felt the shortcomings with this ship were the verysmall stab/elevator and the low aspect ratio wing.  It needed to have the CG further forward than I would personally desire (to retain stability at the end of  the flight when the tank was empty) and the resulting higher drag in corner loaded the engine excessively in the high density altitude at Tucson.  It's better here in San Fran but still not a favorite.

In direct answer to your question, in my opinion my Tucker was a more competitive airpalne at the higher wing loading.  If I could have reduced flap travel more it would have certainly been "better" but I don't feel the confidence gained from the more positive feel at the handle would have been achieved by doing so.

I more or less keep pounding the same old saw I started with many years ago.  I think lift produced should balance lift necessary with only a reasonable margin of excess to cover poor density altitude situations.  When lift is well matched to what is needed the airplane's CG will appear to track the radius of the corners flown and any discussion of "dropping the tail" or "turning around a point behind the wing" etc. will disappear.

Once that part of the equation is solved you simply need enough  power to insure that the airplane will not lose significant airspeed during maneuvers (because lift goes up as the square of airspeed).  IMHO, lift beyond that requires serves only to complicate the trim issues and bring the Netzeband wall closer rather than further away (because you are deflecting controls further than necessary which required increasingly more line tension the further you have to deflect them).

Good questions.  Hope I didn't go too far afield.

Ted

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2007, 11:53:06 PM »
One last comment regarding "other reasons for flaps when they aren't necessary for the wing to produce the necessary lift to support the airplane in tight corners.  This goes back to another subject that's been covered here at some length but not great depth.

Any time you deflect flaps on a flapped symetrical wing you produce a cambered airfoil, one in which a line from the leading edge to the trailing edge exactly halfway between the top and bottom of the airfoil is curved sort of  like a bird's wing.  A cambered airfoil will always produce a "pitching" moment in the same direction as the curve i.e. a nose down moment when flaps are deflected down or (in the case of our stunt flaps) up when the flaps are deflected up.

This is a "real" force and is what makes a flying wing combat ship respond as it does, appearing to act like an elevator when, in reality it is reshaping the airfoil of the wing and the pitching moment makes the wing react (see my post to Randy back in the thread somewhere).

When utilized to our advantage, this pitching moment can be a very valuable asset to precision flight (and is a large part of the reason that flapped airplanes just seem "easier" to point where we want them to go -- assuming they are properly trimmed, a subject for its own thread).

When we deflect our flaps in conjunction with an elevator input for a corner or loop, etc. the flaps want to turn the wing the opposite way we want it to go (just like they wouldl on a flying wing) and the tail must produce enough force (lift) to overcome the pitching moment before the plane will turn the way we want it to go.

Properly balanced this force "stabilizes" the control forces required to make the corner.  Try this analogy.  Hang a bicycle from the rear wheel so you can spin the front one.  Make it sure it's got nice smooth bearings and spins freely.

Now, place your finger on one of the spokes and "push" it 90 degrees in a half second or so simulating a square corner.  You'll quickly discover that the wheel isn't "stable" in the turn and stopping it at 90 degrees is impossible because there is no resistance to the turn.  If the following spoke didn't bang into the pushing finger the wheel would just keep right on spinning.

Now, have a friend squeeze just a touch of brake pressure with the handbrake.  Now do the same 90 degree push and you'll discover it is now easy to stop where you want.  The turn is now "stabilized" by the resistance of the brake.

The opposing pitching moment of the deflected flap in the turn does much the same thing to the airplane during a hard corner.  It produces a force against which the pilot must work just like the brake produces a force the finger must work against.  The controls can be comfortably loaded when the flap movement is appropriate and the CG properly located (the location of the CG relative to where the lift is centered on the wing produces similar effects on the pitch rate of the airplane and must be considered as well for that reason)

This is a common technique used by full size aerobatic teams like the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds.  Pilots trim a download in pitch which must be resisted by the pilot by a constant backforce on the stick.  They can then literally "hold" the airplane in the desired location relative to their partners against the aerodynamic forces trying to make the airplane pitch nose down.  Same principle.

By the way, there is a letter to the Editor in the current Air and Space magazine which addresses this subject.  To paraphrase, the writer addresses a previous article in which the Canadian Snowbirds talked about there use of heavy nose down trim to improve control and how the Blue Angels couldn't do that naturally because the FA18s have a computer driven trim system that won't allow the pilot to maintain such a force.  The Blue Angels -18s are modified with a 40 pound  spring attached to the control stick to provide the same sort of control consistency. He quotes a retired Angel who said: "We attach that 40 pound spring and rest our arm on our right leg, which acts as a fulcrum to help us overome the spring.  We can lock our arms down and not move the stick much.  It smooths out all our maneuvers".

Shoot, we just couple up our flaps and get the same stuff.  Just like the Blue Angels.

Ted

Eric Viglione

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2007, 08:20:31 AM »
Thanks for the most thorough reply Ted! I really do appreciate your thoughts. As long as your in the mood to type, if I may be so bold to post one follow on hypothetical question.

Let's say you had a plane that exhibits the barbell effect, say it came out tail heavy due to the nose is too short, so you add a bunch of lead to the nose and now it balances well on the CG, grooves well, corners sharp enough, but is hard to stop and start the turn consistently. If the airframe is still reasonably light at this point, could adding weight to the CG reduce the barbell effect? Am I making any sense?
Thanks!

EricV

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2007, 08:38:43 AM »
Thanks, Ted.  I appreciate your thoghts on this AND[/i the thread about "necessary line tension". 

Without anything personal, REALLY, how would you describe Billy's approach to all of this?  I know his Geo Bolt wing was a departure from his "standard" USA-1 airfoil style airplanes.  Just an opinion of how this (his "pre-Geo Bolt approach") is different/works compared to a more "modern" approach? 

I would appreciate your opinion and it is NOT intended to stir the pot.  Simply wanting to see how different approaches can work (and Billy is not available, so I know you would not "be speaking for him").  But I do know you have an "aerodynamic understanding" of his methods.

Can you "help a Brother out?" ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2007, 09:30:14 AM »
Big Bear,

I know you asked Ted about it but I just wanted to comment a little on it.

I have built 12 Geo-Bolt wings so far.  They have all been in similar type planes around here.  They are not P-47s.  They are Bears that were co-designed by Bob G and Billy W from a few phone calls to get the numbers in the right area for a solid design.  Notably there is a huge notation to anyone around here partaking in the Geo Bolt wing that your plane must be light to really work well.  I followed this to a T on my current rig and it came in at 58oz at the beginning and is now running about 60 oz..

Bob's planes and My plane fly AWESOME!!!  The others around here fly very good as well.  I was often told during the beginning with this wing is that you have to go 5.3 or it wont fly.  I was told that by several noted people along the way.  Bob and I both got it working at much lower speeds.  We due have larger flaps than the typical P-47.  I even got it WAY slower to 5.9 and was very competitive with and still am today.  I think the envelope for the geo bolt wing is pretty much about as big as any wing out there.

My next venture with the Geo Bolt wing was a 4s model.  I built my own fuse, read that longer with more rudder after the stab for that scale aerobatic plane look.  I used the 26% tail with stablets from the Geo Bear.  The model came out at 66oz.  I was NOT HAPPY ABOUT THAT TO SAY THE LEAST.  But my brother and Brad both told me it would fly fine.  They were right it was very good with a 72 in it at about a 5.5 lap time.  But the handle loads weren’t so great and we put in a 56 and it was the best plane I have ever had ever hands down.  The final weight was 63oz.  It was larger with more drag yet the wing was still holding strong the heavier weight seemed to make the plane more stable.  I flew that plane at 5.6 laps with the 56 at a full 70'.  I was going to go to the TT that year and I would take that plane over the plane I made top 5 with.  That is how solid it was.  A stupid bird killed it and I got laid off work and never made it to the TT.

My personal opinion, with my limited experience, is that the Geo Bolt wing is one of the best out there.  It is extremely versatile and can carry a significant amount of weight, more so than people think.  It can be used in many different configurations at just about any speed and still produce lift.  Even in the nasty middle of the summer low air density high heat situations here in TX. 

I know this isn’t what you wanted but I couldn’t help myself.

I encourage anyone to get a Geo Bolt wing and be prepared to get good fast!
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2007, 11:03:40 AM »
Hi Doug,

Thanks for the input!  As you know, I got the first "public" lost foam system for the Geo Bolt wing.  Aaron's Geo XL (a VERY good model!) used the "bolt" wing.  It was 60 oz. and flew very very well, even in the turbulence at Huuntersville with a PA 51.  Usually has the PA 61.

What I was really getting at, as you realize, is a comparison of the "old" Billy planes (Junar, Geo XL, etc.,) which were derived from the USA-1 wing. 

It is thin, low aspect ratio, and has to have a "pretty light" airframe to fly as good as it can.  My USA-1 was 54 oz. all up and was about as good as I have ever flown.  Even so far as to flying the pattern "upwind" at Huntersville (bad enough air already! LOL!) since we had a 180* shift and it would have taken too long to get the judges moved.  The plane had absolutely NO PROBLEMS with doing it.  And it was powered by a T&L ST G51.

So, I am eager to hear just how the different "types" of planes can be made to work on equal footing.  Not a "bait" to get an argument going! LOL!!

I agree, the Geo Bolt is a great wing!  Billy, himself, told me it was in conjunction with Randy as to the airfoil that he came up with.  A very "friendly" wing! y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2007, 01:25:48 PM »
"So, I am eager to hear just how the different "types" of planes can be made to work on equal footing.  Not a "bait" to get an argument going! LOL!!

I agree, the Geo Bolt is a great wing!  Billy, himself, told me it was in conjunction with Randy as to the airfoil that he came up with.  A very "friendly" wing!  "

HI Bill

I can answer a few of your questions,  The USA-1  and   GEO XL are  world class airplanes and in the weight range Bill flies them in are as near a perfect stunt ship as you can get. As you know if you are going to build a  USA-1 or a  USA-1  based  airplane it really needs to be in the  mid to high 50 ounce range, getting much over that pushes the weight range. Billy never  designed the  USA-1 to be much more than 56 ounces. So with the P-47 he was looking for a little differant airfoil.
 After having many conversations about airfoils  with Billy before he built the first Geo Bolt P-47, I suggested he used a SV wing, Billy had flown several , mine included ,and watched dozens fly, he saw how large the envelope was on SV airfoils, even commented about why Bill Rich's 74 ounce 667 sq in SV-11  did not drop in the corners. Bill's first red P-47 used a SV airfoil of mine that Billy took and cut, ( see the DVD The man and his Museum by Bob Hunt were he states this)
The second War bird paint scheme P-47 ( see the same dvd where Bill holds this plane and states the same) used  the same SV Vector\Vectra series airfoil (just slightly thinner than a SV-11) that I plotted , drew up and sent the wing drawing and computer plotted templetes to BOB Hunt, Bill made the trip to Bob's house  where they cut the lost foam cradles, cut the parts, and built 2 wings for the next P-47s Geo Bolts,
I have the second wing here at my house for my P-47.
There was a slight deviation made from the plan I drew and the airframe chord got 3\16 inch shorter at the leading edge and became pretty blunt, quite a bit blunter than the plan showed, The plane flew exceptionally well except in the turbulance in Cleveland.
 I spoke to Bill about this after the plane was flying, he told me he was going to build another with the exact corrected wing. What actually happened was Bill  used the basic same wing and then changed the next P-47 (the Razor) to a shaper LE and thinned the tip slightly, This helped performance when the Cleveland air got very bad and very turbulant.
AS you have no doubt seen the Geo Bolt will fly very well at 53 ounces and also flies like a light plane a 64 ounces, so the wing has a very large weight envelope,  Bob McDonald has more than 1 excellent examples of the P-47 Geo Bolt that weigh more than Bills, They still fly the same, Bill told me that Bob McDonalds P-47s  were among the best airplanes he has flown.
This was what Bill was looking for ,as compared to the plus 700 sq in USA-1 wing the 690 sq, In  Geo bolt wing will carry easily 15 more ounces. In his last presentation of the P-47 Bill made another slight change to make the tips a bit smaller but the root is still within a pencil line of the SV-Vectra airfoil, The plan that Model Aviation sells of this airplane shows the root as the exact SV airfoil and a smaller slightly thinner tip rib , part of that was Billy extended it out another 3 inches.
Given the fact that Bill wanted to put a large amount of detail and  retracts on his P-47s the extra  load carrying ability of the SV airfoil was just a logical thing to use,
I have also helped Bob Gieseke for several years with his bear design, and as has been shown ,the Bears that Bob have are very light, but just like Billy's  P-47s ,will also fly very very well up into the mid to high 60 ounce range , and some of them are  less area  than Billy Wewages  P-47 Geo Bolts.

Regards
Randy

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2007, 08:53:11 PM »
quote: 'But it struck me this morning................ there is very *little* that we can PROVE through empirical evidence in this hallowed event.  Everything that *really* matters is a matter of preference.  What *we* perceive it to be is what it is, at least in our own minds. "

Bill you took the words out of my mouth. We argue about engines and airplanes because we can't prove anything about judging. The funny thing is the guesswork that passes as empirical thinking about engines and airplanes........

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2007, 12:10:18 AM »
Thanks, Ted.  I appreciate your thoghts on this AND[/i the thread about "necessary line tension". 

Without anything personal, REALLY, how would you describe Billy's approach to all of this?  I know his Geo Bolt wing was a departure from his "standard" USA-1 airfoil style airplanes.  Just an opinion of how this (his "pre-Geo Bolt approach") is different/works compared to a more "modern" approach? 

I would appreciate your opinion and it is NOT intended to stir the pot.  Simply wanting to see how different approaches can work (and Billy is not available, so I know you would not "be speaking for him").  But I do know you have an "aerodynamic understanding" of his methods.

Can you "help a Brother out?" ;D

HI Bill,

Wan't ignoring your question.  I was just struck by how much info you got from Randy and Doug.  Good thing, too, since I really haven't studied the drawings that closely although I've surely read the article and admired the airplane. 

I was frankly surprised to hear Bill used a significantly different wing on the Thunderbolts.  I was pretty much of the opinion that he was married to the sort of thin wings that have characterized his designs for so many years.  I'll definitely dig out the article and look closer at the drawings.  I hope I still have the magazine around.
I'm intrigued now.

Ted

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2007, 11:17:42 AM »
HI Bill,

Wan't ignoring your question.  I was just struck by how much info you got from Randy and Doug.  Good thing, too, since I really haven't studied the drawings that closely although I've surely read the article and admired the airplane. 

I was frankly surprised to hear Bill used a significantly different wing on the Thunderbolts.  I was pretty much of the opinion that he was married to the sort of thin wings that have characterized his designs for so many years.  I'll definitely dig out the article and look closer at the drawings.  I hope I still have the magazine around.
I'm intrigued now.

Ted

Thanks, Ted.  I know Billy told me back when he was building the first "Bolt" (I-beam geo type) that he had "changed" the airfoil.  He said that he had a lot of the same thoughts Randy had and it was a very "similar" airfoil to Randy's SV.. 

I am "intrigued" as to how he could continue so long with the *USA-1* wing and that it does perform so well, even today.

Having said that, though, he did tell me the *Bolt* wing was the best and that it was the way to go.  So much so that he told Bobby to cut Aaron, and me, a lost foam jig of the one he was doing at the time.  Aaron used that wing in his Geo XL, and it worked great.  Our unplanned hiatus from CLPA left it for a few years before it was flown.

Take a look at he MA article (if you can dig it out! LOL!!) and get back, OK?  The airfoil is very "modern". ;D

Still looking for your thoughts on the "OLD" aerodynamic package, though. ;D

Thanks!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2007, 05:34:53 PM »
Thanks, Randy for the rundown on the Geo Bolt wing development.  I remember us talking about this at Huntersville a few years ago.  Having what i believe is the second lost foam cradle system that was made for the Geo Bolt wing, we have already used it in one plane.  Aaron's Geo XL has that first Geo Bolt wing in it.  He was very pleased with it until the *hill incident* at Brodak's. We finally cut into the wing and found some broken sheer webs and such.  it was just a matter of time, I think, before that wing would have folded.

The SV series of airfoils seem to have become a very widely used series and rightly so!  I still plan on completing the "Classic" and Aaron is well along with the SV-31 (I think that is the designation!).

Thanks, again,
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here