News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:50:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I finally scored a Scientific Sizzlin' Liz!!!  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Robert McHam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I finally scored a Scientific Sizzlin' Liz!!!
« on: July 24, 2007, 05:45:43 PM »
Yes I finally got a  Sizzlin' Liz P-51 Mustang. IO have been wanting one for years.

Question:
Which box is older? Does anyone know an approxamate year range for each box?

I remember the ones with more color and having Walter Musciano and his trophies on the right of the box. That was in the mid 1970s.
I am guessing the 2 color (red and black ink on white background) was earlier?

Now for the P-40 Red Tiger and the Zipper!

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: I finally scored a Scientific Sizzlin' Liz!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 09:16:07 PM »
Robert,
I'm inclined to agree with you on the dates of the boxes.

Neat model. I had a chance to get a cowling, turtledeck/canopy and plans from a guy off of eBay a few years back. Hi went by "biscotti" I think and his name was Jim. I haven't looked in a while for that type of stuff but he had good materials for builders.

Glad you found your Sizzlin' Liz.

Chris...

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 10:27:03 PM »
Thanks Chris. There have been a few of these come and go but they generally go for much, much more than I paid for mine. More than I can afford that is. Inside I feel I very lifted for my efforts. I had been watcing another one a few days earlier (Thats where I got the pic of the Musciano box)but that one was incomplete. The seller said it was missing the canopy (which is actually the whole top of the model from the firewall to the tail) and the pilot. It wound up selling for what I consider a decent price. I almost bought it myself but I bid too low. I'm not really a cheapo but merely budget driven.

Anyway, since the missing pieces were so important to the model, I am glad I missed it. I found the other one quite by accident and it was listed in an obscure area. 
The one I bought does have the turtledeck/canopy.

I was going to write Mr. Musciano for the plans but the molded plastic parts are otherwise not available.

Robert

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 12:14:48 PM »
Ah,
So you got the red and white box? Good for you. Cool looking stuff.

I had a Pitts Special for 10 years and so have a Little Stinker fetish. I got an old box only off of eBay for a reasonable price and it is black and yellow. I already had two different Little stinker kits in diffeent boxes. Some of the old litho printing stuff is really neat.

A guy can go nuts collecting it.

Chris...

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
Many of Walt's plans are dated, two digets after his name.
Larry

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 03:42:09 PM »
Quote by Larry Rice:
"Many of Walt's plans are dated, two digets after his name."

Really? Now that is something I did not know. I will be on the lookout from now on.

Did Mr. Musciano have kits that were kitted by other than Scientific?

I can hardly wait to get my "Liz" here and check it out! Like a little boy who knows Santa's a-commin' !

Robert

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 04:36:32 PM »
Well everyone, it's here!  #^.

The only downside to the whole thing was that I felt shipping was a little steep. Haven't we all felt that crunch? Padding the shipping...Ugh! It really wasn't too bad but  I knew it would not cost what was charged to ship. 
Upon opening the box the first thing I saw were three one dollar bills! I had not mentioned to the seller that I thought it was too much yet lo and behold I get change! What an unexpected and unusual thing to have happen!

I have checked it all out and everything is in the box including the dried up curled and hard hinge material. All in brand new condition. Just been sitting around all these years waiting for me to buy it!

Yep, the plan is indeed dated, this one is '64.

Yippee!!! A happy camper am I!

Robert

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 05:26:19 PM »
Glad you got your kit.  Also I have had E-Bayers send cash or an item without me asking when I thought the same about some shipping being a little high.  But, when shipping is posted you can't argue.  Now I want to know if the plans are full size or not?  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 05:55:35 PM »
Ahhhh, can't really call it a plan sheet. really just a build instruction sheet. The only thing shown "full size" would be the profile of the fuse. The wing, stab and ele. are not shown except as small isometric drawings.
I was hoping it would all be shown full size and that you would build the wing over the plan us per most built up wings. I suppose one must simply eyeball the thing to get it straight. The only one I did this with years ago was the profile P-40 Warhawk with symetrical built up wing. I want to say I built it over the plan but then again I simply don't recall. Gotta run for now... Drool cup overflowing!

Robert

Advertise Here
Tags: half Cox Musciano norvel 

Advertise Here