News:

• March 29, 2024, 02:39:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I finally found the picture.  (Read 821 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I finally found the picture.
« on: August 17, 2022, 11:44:38 AM »
This is the product of Jim Sumner from Hartford, Ct area taken at the Wrentham, Ma contest around 2012 or 13.I counted 22 airfoils including the wings and stabilizers. A mismatched pair of 60's I think. It did do the entire stunt pattern.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: I finally found the picture.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 12:07:42 PM »
You are ever so close to proving even a rock will fly on a string.  ;D
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 12:57:24 PM »
Jim flew a six or seven winged ST 60 pretty well...trophied in Advanced once or twice.

Interesting guy

Rick_Huff

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 01:41:57 PM »
It's quite amazing to watch Jim's planes fly.  You watch it level flight, flying at what appears to be "walking speed" and you think:  he's got a bad engine run, he'll never make the wingover.  Then he pulls up and the thing climbs, ever so slowly, up and over.  It's something to see.  I wonder if he's flown the slowest ever full pattern?

Rick

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 05:40:12 PM »
It looks like a flying venetian blind.

Mike

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 06:52:27 PM »
It looks like a flying venetian blind.

Mike

Awwwwwww, You beat me to it Mike!

I saw this somewhere else and wondered if it actually flew.

Jerry

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 07:17:00 PM »
I remember one of Jim’s up lines breaking at Brodak’s over the donut many years ago. It looked like several airplanes went in there were so many parts.

I also recall another design of his shedding parts mid flight. His airplanes have built in redundancy so it kept on flying. 

All of Jim’s flights were spectacular. Amazing how few issues he had for how complex his designs were.

Mike

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 08:06:10 PM »
This is the product of Jim Sumner from Hartford, Ct area taken at the Wrentham, Ma contest around 2012 or 13.I counted 22 airfoils including the wings and stabilizers. A mismatched pair of 60's I think. It did do the entire stunt pattern.

He had something less ambitious at the NATs one year. I will admit I didn't pay much attention and sort of dismissed him as, er, eccentric. But he was flying over on Circle 1, got to inverted flight and the engine went dead rich. Uh oh, that's gonna leave a mark, hope he doesn't try to do an outside loop to recover because it will never make it. He starts walking off center, towards the end of the L-pad, I figure he trying to skid it in inverted in the grass. But no- he walks it so far towards the end that the airplane is over the side of the hill and he *does half an *inside loop** , that is, toward the ground and down the hill far below his feet , recovers upright, then walks it back over the pavement, engine runs out of gas, he lands upright. It was brilliant!

Just goes to show you, model airplane guys are pretty smart as a bunch, you can't just immediately write them off because they will surprise you.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 08:28:32 PM »
The FIRST tethered Aeroplane !

https://www.ctie.monash.edu/hargrave/phillips.html

A magnificent flying machine . But It'll never replace the aeroplane . ;D

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 10:34:13 PM »
     He had something less ambitious at the NATs one year. I will admit I didn't pay much attention and sort of dismissed him as, er, eccentric. But he was flying over on Circle 1, got to inverted flight and the engine went dead rich. Uh oh, that's gonna leave a mark, hope he doesn't try to do an outside loop to recover because it will never make it. He starts walking off center, towards the end of the L-pad, I figure he trying to skid it in inverted in the grass. But no- he walks it so far towards the end that the airplane is over the side of the hill and he *does half an *inside loop** , that is, toward the ground and down the hill far below his feet , recovers upright, then walks it back over the pavement, engine runs out of gas, he lands upright. It was brilliant!

Just goes to show you, model airplane guys are pretty smart as a bunch, you can't just immediately write them off because they will surprise you.

Brett

Yeah, I was there to see that too!  I was amazed!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2022, 05:15:20 AM »
Jim also sat at the pilot's meeting and suggested that we do two outside triangles so that the lines would be untangled at the end of the flight.

When told that it wasn't going to happen he said "Why not....we're all here?".

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here