News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:52:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I've seen Connie's up close and thought they were huge back in the day.  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Tony Drago

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
A big passenger plane at the time

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Tony,

They were pretty big. Last one I saw was being stored at Camarillo airport in California.

The tunnel in your picture goes underneath the south runway at LAX, allowing Pacific Coast Highway (SR 1) to get past the airport. What is not shown--and likely didn't exist yet--are the air ventilation buildings at either end that can (hopefully) keep fresh air in the tunnel during traffic jams. I've been stuck in the tunnel several times trying to get to LAX. I'd like to believe the mechanicals involved are reliable.... The tunnel is pretty long (>2,000 feet?), since it goes under one runway, and at least four taxiways and a service road.

I suspect that the runways have been upgraded since then, to handle larger gross weights, although this may be offset by the use of bogey wheels to reduce the contact pressures. (The A380 has 22 wheels.)  I know LAX was one of the airports that didn't have to do much to accommodate the A380. Although that point seems to have become irrelevant in the current transport environment. Is it just Emirates that plans to continue operation of those behemoths? I believe I read that Air France has mothballed theirs....

Other nostalgia:

LAX was called Mines field at the time of Mustang production in Inglewood California. The area was surrounded by beanfields. NAA had a major operation there during the war.

The one-time largest (longest) private runway in the world (at least the western world) was less than 5 miles north of LAX. This was the Hughes Aircraft Company field. The Air Force often flew fighters in to have the radar and electronic systems upgraded. More like a JIffyLube operation as opposed to Hughes crating up units and shipping them across the country to a depot and hoping all the mods would get done without field support engineers.  The Hughes site has now been entirely converted to condos with some shopping centers thrown in for profitability. There is, amazingly, one large hanger left. The Spruce Goose hanger. I imagine it was refurbished in the hope that it would be a valuable commercial property. I think it is currently being used as indoor parking in this crowded area. The YouTube building is right across the street, for example.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 06:32:52 PM by Dave Hull »

Offline Roy DeCamara

• Lieutenant
Ah, the Sepulveda tunnel at LAX. In September of 1958 I moved to Inglewood CA to attend Northrup Institute of Tech.  I had a new 58 BSA 650 twin running straight pipes with the stock mufflers cleaned out and slipped back over the steel pipes I had welded onto the header pipes.  It looked stock.  Great fun to enter that tunnel, drop to 3rd gear and wind it up.  Was music to my 18 year old ears...............toodles, Roy H^^ H^^

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
I got to skydive out of this one at the World Freefall Convention back in the 90's. Of course the crew did the obligatory buzz job over the campground after dropping the load.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
   Hi Mike!!
    That was probably the Save-A-Connie.. I went to a local air show where they flew it into put on static display, and it beat up the field with 3 or 4 low passes like that before landing. It was about in that same time period. I got pictures somewhere.
     How many years did you do the free fall convention? Chris McMillin, who posts here on occasion, flew a Navy N3N for another local TWA pilot, Bud Fuchs, to do inverted props out of. They also had a Beech Staggerwing for a few years, then Bud traded the Staggerwing in a a Bushmaster Ford Trimotor to take up there. We flew several stunt contests at that airport using the ramp for the corporate airplane for Morman Feeds. Them was the good old days!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
I got to skydive out of this one at the World Freefall Convention back in the 90's.

Mike, I always wanted to do a D.B Cooper jump, but a Connie jump might be even more cool.

Mark

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Although I'm sure everyone already knew this a Connie was the 1st aircraft given the call sign "Airforce 1". The call sign came about due to "Columbine II" which had the call sign "Air Force 8610" with President Eisenhower on board nearly colliding with a commercial airliner. This prompted the Federal Aviation Administration to designate a call sign for any aircraft that the President of the United States is aboard. The "Columbine II" became the first Air Force One.

It was never scrapped but did spend many years lying out in the desert deteriorating until a group got together and pulled it back from the brink to flying condition..

Just a bit of interesting history, plenty on youtube about it.

A bit on the restoration is here.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Online C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
Roy, I currently own, ride, enjoy a 1958 BSA 650. Delightful!   TS

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
  There use to be three parked at the St Pete  Clearwater iairport in the 1970’s. I use to drive by them everyday going to work. I stopped several times but no one was around. One day there was a lot of activity so I stopped and talked to guys loading them.  They were delivering supplies to several Caribbean islands.. guy let me look inside and all the seats were gone and they were full of crates.. They were there for 4-5 years. They were small inside compared to the 707 I had been on.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
   Hi Mike!!
    That was probably the Save-A-Connie.. I went to a local air show where they flew it into put on static display, and it beat up the field with 3 or 4 low passes like that before landing. It was about in that same time period. I got pictures somewhere.
     How many years did you do the free fall convention? Chris McMillin, who posts here on occasion, flew a Navy N3N for another local TWA pilot, Bud Fuchs, to do inverted props out of. They also had a Beech Staggerwing for a few years, then Bud traded the Staggerwing in a a Bushmaster Ford Trimotor to take up there. We flew several stunt contests at that airport using the ramp for the corporate airplane for Morman Feeds. Them was the good old days!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
It was the SAC Connie yes. Jumps were $59 each. Pretty high considering a normal jump ticket for a King Air or Otter was $17 at the time. But you are paying for the privilege. Yes, I jumped the N3N 4 times as well as the Bell 412 Heli, a hot air balloon and of course the mother of them all a 727 jet. I went to the Convention 3 times and all in the 90's while it was at Quincy. At some point it was moved to Rantoul and I stopped attending.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Mike, I always wanted to do a D.B Cooper jump, but a Connie jump might be even more cool.

Mark
This video predates my jet jump by 3 years but I was fortunate to get to jump it 1995 and 1996. To many the 727 is the "moby dick" of jump planes. It only make an appearance at Convention once a year and some years not at all. 

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
What happens to the CG as they go out the back?   I guess by going a row at a time it is manageable.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
I wore a parachute back in my days flying acrobatics, but never considered leaving a perfectly good airplane. 
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
The owners of the small, Greenwood Lake, NY  Airport bought a Connie for $45,000 in 1976 to use as a bar and lounge. It flew in( a Youtube video out there) and landed on the short 2,700 ft runway. It reportedly hasn't moved since, snug up against other small buildings.

My guess is that the owners of the airport  saw a big future for the place. Others did, too. Hugh Hefner built a grand Playboy Club Resort  in neighboring Milford, NJ and Warner Bros built " Jungle Habitat "- a huge live African Wildlife based theme park. Went to the club with a date( ahem, now my wife)- in 1974 . I wouldn't let the valet service park my new Stingray, so I left her at the door and had to park a 1/4 mile down the road and walked back in  light drizzle lol(who among us hasn't done that?).

By the early 80s, the theme park went bust and animals like elephants and giraffes perished from lack of care. A real shame.

The Playboy Club went bankrupt but remained as a hotel for quite a stretch.

The hotel became a welfare dump/public nuisance and was recently razed.

I believe the Connie still remains at the airport.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
I wore a parachute back in my days flying acrobatics, but never considered leaving a perfectly good airplane.
Flying them is great fun but getting out of one is pretty hard to beat IMO.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain

Since I was flying an aerobatic biplane at the time, I decided I was going to just make one jump so if I ever had to bail, I'd be somewhat comfortable under canopy in the event of an emergency.  One jump turned into 110.  Then I got married and jumping fell victim to other adult responsibilities.  Sucks, because I had a brand new custom fit Javelin container with only four jumps on it.  Now with a bad back and bad knees, it'll probably never get jumped again.

Mark

Offline Roy DeCamara

• Lieutenant
Hi C.T.   Do you have a Super Rocket or the Golden Flash?  I had the Super Rocket in 58.  I currently have a 1961 Super Rocket which I have owned since 1971.  It has been in storage since 1985.  Though I don't ride at 80 years old, I still enjoy owning it.  Currently, I have a 1949 Triumph 500 speed twin being restored to original condition at a Triumph specialty shop in Costa Mesa CA.   Cheers,  Roy D.  :) :)

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
Roy, I currently own, ride, enjoy a 1958 BSA 650. Delightful!   TS
A Road Rocket?  I had a 1960 Super Rocket when I was at college.  Those were tha days when bikes had cool names - remember the Norton Dominator 650 Super Sport?  Ah, memories...
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Since I was flying an aerobatic biplane at the time, I decided I was going to just make one jump so if I ever had to bail, I'd be somewhat comfortable under canopy in the event of an emergency.  One jump turned into 110.  Then I got married and jumping fell victim to other adult responsibilities.  Sucks, because I had a brand new custom fit Javelin container with only four jumps on it.  Now with a bad back and bad knees, it'll probably never get jumped again.

Mark
I sold both my Vector II rigs within 2 years of leaving the sport. Got decent money for them as they were still popular. They'd be almost worthless now. I did keep my jumpsuits though.

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral

I'm with you on that one Floyd! y1

Jerry

Offline 11290

• Lieutenant
The Indiana National Guard unit (Co D, 151, Ranger Co (airborne)) I was in flew down (and back) to the Panama Canal Zone (Fort Sherman I think) for a two week jungle warfare training course.  I believe it was 3 Connie's in early 1968, just a month or two before we got activated and utlimately sent to Vietnam in Dec of 1968.  Decent ride but pretty noisy as I remember.  Wish I would have thought at the time to take pictures.  Too bad there weren't digital point-and-shoot cameras back then.
Evansville, IN & Orlando, FL

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
When we had the Eisenhower centennial here in Abilene Kansas years back, they brought the Columbine Connie here and flew it in and out day and night. I got to see the inside as it was not completed yet. They had most of the crew that restored it with them.

It sure brought back memories for me as my dad use to fly out of KC on Connie's when I was a kid. He was a sales manager for Clipper saw at the time and flew back and forth to Atlanta Georgia quite a bit. KC use to have a look out on the roof to watch the planes take off, and they would be about level with it on take off. At night there was a nice blue flame in the exhaust and lots of wonderful noise.

There is one sitting at the Salina Kansas airport about 24 miles from me that has been sitting there for years. I believe it is privately owned.
Jim Kraft

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Has it been that long ago when Connies were still flying in and out of downtown KC airport.  I vaguely remember my sister-in-law boarding to leave for the Navy while we stood on the upper deck to watch her go.   Wasn't long after that that the deck was shut down because of the noise of the jet aircraft. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
While stationed in Quonset Point, RI, the AEW squadron there flew a Super Connie with the HUGE radom on top.  That thing was so big I think you could have had a stunt circle on the thing.  (Well, maybe not quite.)  When winter was near the end the snow would be piled so high between the runway and the taxi way that all you could see of the Connie going by was the radom and a couple of feet of the hump in the fuse'.  Now THAT was a lot of snow becuase that ole Connie really stuck up there.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Dan Hay

• New Pilot
     Came across this connie about 45 years ago.  West of Miami FL near the airport that was never finished

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
I remember sitting at the departure end of the runway at O'hare with my dad watching the planes take off in the '60s. I thought the DC-8s and 707s were the real deal, then one day a Super Connie pulled up and started final checks, my Dad said get out, you have to feel this!

Mag checks were impressive, but when the pushed all 4 up to T.O. power and started rolling- it was intense! And after liftoff you could see the Power recovery Turbines in the exhaust system glowing red and spewing fire! I'll remember it forever- Thanks Dad!
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
    The main reason that I think I am just "plane nuts"  is that I have lived near Lambert Field my entire life. The house I was born and raised in was right under the approach of Runway 24/6, and only about a miles from the runway thresh hold, so airplanes were pretty low going over my house. The front of the house faced east and was shallow angle to the approach, and it had a large picture window. This runway at that time was the only instrument runway at Lambert, and in any kind of weather  or darkness if the wind was right, EVERYTHING came over my house! The biggest thrill as kids was watching Connies and DC-7s take off and land. Either way the engines were at full rich and props at full pitch and the resulting internal combustion symphony  would shake the widows sometimes! When they were landing at night, and my Mom wasn't around, we used to open the drapes full wide so the landing lights would shin in the window, and it was amazing how bright it would get. The high frequency coming off the spark plug wires would screw up the TV for a little bit as they went over, but I didn't care as long as we weren't watch Flying Tigers or some other important movie. The local Air National Guard unit always had weekend warriors coming off that runway because the western end of it was right near their hangers and reventments. Up until the 70's, I think, there was an active Navy Reserve base there by the ANG unit, and we would see Neptunes, P-3 Orions, and the early Marine C-130s coming and going. McDonnell Aircraft Co. was located on the north side of the airport and we would beg who ever was driving the car to go up and down Banshee Road so we could look into the assembly buildings and the flight test hangers when the doors were open in good weather. I can remember seeing Demons, Voodoos, Phantoms, F-15s, F-18s,  and AV8-B Harriers all being built and test flown. Those buildings have all been abandoned and Boeing has built a state of the art assembly building on the east edge of the field now, where the Super Hornets, T-7s and now the new generation of the F-15s are built.  A little east of the old main buildings was the hush house for engine testing and the "circus ring" where they would take just finished jets and swing the compass on them. Lambert had pretty active general aviation sections back then with several large FBOs and airplanes of all kinds parked there. One section was on the west end of the airport, and the other was on the south east side just east of the TWA big maintenance hanger. We watched one of the early hijackings from a high vantage point across the highway from there back in the early 70's.. Tons of history and tons fun living near Lambert Field. I still live within smelling distance of the airport on the north east side, and when the wind is right and take off traffic is heavy I can smell jet fuel while standing on my front yard. Yep, place for a just "plane crazy" kid to grow up!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Bet it is kind of quiet now.   Watchung planes heading for KCI used to be fun while at Lakeside Speedway.  But since the politicians shut every thing down hardly see any leaving or coming any more.  Of course there is a small airport NW of the track on the other side of the river that a twin does a fly over going some where to the SW.  Reminds me of the early Sky King plane with the twin rudders. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
It happened that I went to the Seattle "Museum of Flight" just after the got a B-17 in, but before they got it hidden away in the restoration hangar. I was surprised by how small it was.

About 1955 we went to an airshow and got up close with a KC-97...really 'uge. There was also a bunch of AANG (Alabama Air National Guard) P-51's on display. They must have done a fly-by, as I recall at least some running the engines. Hmmm....65 years ago. I was knee deep in building the large Comet and Cleveland kits.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
Re: I've seen Connie's up close and thought they were huge back in the day.
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2020, 09:27:32 PM »
It happened that I went to the Seattle "Museum of Flight" just after the got a B-17 in, but before they got it hidden away in the restoration hangar. I was surprised by how small it was.

I saw a B29 on static display at Lackland AFB. I thought it would be bigger.

Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2020, 08:30:17 AM »
Connie's n' KC...

I can remember Sunday afternoons in the late 50s, when after church my folks would take me and my older sister to eat somewhere... then off to a park that had a section in that overlooked the river with the old KC Municipal airport. The airport was very visible just over the river. I can still vividly recall those three tail "Connie's" coming in or leaving out. Wonderful memories.

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2020, 02:26:13 PM »
Don't know which ones I hated worse, the KC-135s or the Connies taking off just before dawn right after I got into the bunk.  Between them there was a solid hour of wishing I had a bigger pillow.  We were usually on duty when they came back that evening (the Connies stayed out all day) and watching them fly over about 50' above our heads, belching flames from their exhausts then gracefully land from our end of the runway was quite an experience.    Beautiful airplane ... but a bit noisey.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Ed Carlaw

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2020, 09:17:16 PM »
Back when I was working in Pa. there was a Connie in Penndel that was used as a restaurant. It sat on top of the restaurant and you could have breakfast, lunch or supper there. Was there one time for breakfast before a job. I believe the property was sold in the 90's and I believe the Connie went to Dover, Delaware to the museum that is just off the base. I'm not too sure of that but it was dismantled and hauled off on flatbed trailers.

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2020, 03:18:58 AM »
Reminds me of my first glider flight (1964, in the prototype Slingsby T49  'Capstan'). My instructor advised me thus: "If the wings fall off, don't wait for me to tell you when to jump - because I won't be there!"

Offline John Given

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2020, 11:03:46 AM »
Here is my dads EC-121R. Korat RTAFB. 1971.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2020, 03:20:44 PM »
Here is my dads EC-121R. Korat RTAFB. 1971.
So he's the Batcat that kept me up!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2020, 08:39:28 AM »
My favourite Connie picture of all time - in BOAC livery, on a rainy runway under a cloudy sky! (Well, I am a Britisher!)

Offline John Given

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2020, 08:54:44 AM »
So he's the Batcat that kept me up!

Ken

Could be!! ;D

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2020, 11:29:01 AM »
I've heard stories that almost all Connies crossing either ocean would land with at least one dead engine and one or two made the trip with only two engines operating.  Still one of the prettiest airliners of all time on my book. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here