News:

• April 18, 2024, 03:33:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hunting oh so slightly in inverted  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Hunting oh so slightly in inverted
« on: April 18, 2019, 06:31:11 PM »
So, I have this plane that someone gave me.  It's old and beat up (they doped a plain paper sticker on it that says "FAI" and some other stuff, if you can imagine that), but it flies pretty good.

It hunts, oh so slightly, only while inverted.  It flies very nicely upright.

I'm not 100% sure that it's the plane, but I've done pretty well at this task on other planes that aren't nearly as good all-around.

Anyone have suggestions for things to consider to find the problem?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Hunting oh so slightly in inverted
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 08:35:14 PM »
  It's you. If it hunts inverted it will probably hunt upright. Are you holding your hand flat?  If you don't turn exactly the same as the model that will induce the hunt.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 08:49:43 PM »
Fly it inverted with your non dominant hand. That'll tell you if it's you or the plane.
Of course if it hunts worse, you may just be awful at flying with the other hand, thereby rendering this experiment useless.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 08:56:35 PM »
Try 1/2 turn up elevator.

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 09:54:40 PM »
Try 1/2 turn up elevator.

Jeepers! like you would know anything about this plane.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 07:20:58 AM »
Tim,
You didn't mention what ship or what type of leadouts were installed. I would suggest that you clean the leadout wires and flying lines. Next check that the leadouts are set in the correct position for you flying speed. Most hunting is caused by the control system binding someplace.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 08:32:45 AM »
I would strongly suggest following the directions on the plans and add a half turn of up elevator. Most times the planes designer knows best.😁😁😁😁😁

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 09:23:37 AM »
If you trim out that hunt the plane might not fly as well.  One of my best planes hunted very slightly inverted.  I just learned to deal with it.  When I would change the elevator to fix it the rest would go down the drain.  Note: later, a couple of years, after the elevator horn got some slop in it that hunt got better.  Then later after that, 10 years, the fuse nose delaminated in flight and the wing folded and I lost my very best most favorite prop.

If you change it be sure to remember what you did so you can put it back.  :)

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 10:33:22 AM »
Tim,
You didn't mention what ship or what type of leadouts were installed.

I was assured by the guy who gave it to me that it's essentially an Impact.  It's got plug-in leadouts.

I would suggest that you clean the leadout wires and flying lines. Next check that the leadouts are set in the correct position for you flying speed. Most hunting is caused by the control system binding someplace.

I clean the flying lines before each flight, but have been neglecting the leadouts.  I'll correct that oversight.

I'll certainly double-check for binding.  The last time I checked the control system felt nice and free, but problems may have developed.

The ship bears obvious signs that the previous owner cut into it to check the control system, but at least on the ground the controls feel just fine.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 12:14:29 PM »
There is only one place in the pattern where inverted hunting is a real problem and I side with Doug on that one having tried unsuccessfully to trim it out without destroying level flight trim.  The hunting I get is not the bumpy kind that you get with sticky controls but he gradual kind like someone is pushing the whole plane up or down.  In my case it is usually down.  9 times out of 10 when I see the plane starting down I will find my hand is in the wrong position.  If I am in the 1st two laps I will correct the hand position, if not I will live with it and since switching to electric I have had to revise how loudly I comment on it when it starts n1

Another thing I have noticed is that when I am having hunting issues I find that others I am flying with are having similar problems.  Are you sure that your hunting is not weather or terrain induced?  We are all familiar with the ground effect that makes that last couple of inches on landing so much fun.  An uneven flying site can easily create a layer of unstable air near the ground that makes you think that the plane is hunting.

Or, you could just buy a hunting license and make it legal. LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 12:47:59 PM »
Just a little something to think about.
A few years back, I had a Thunderbird that had a hunting problem that was getting the best of me. I tried everything. Played with the CG, tweeked the elevator and lead outs.
It was suggested by one of the local hot shots, to add in a touch of down thrust.
When the big shots speak, I listen.
So I simply added washers under the front mounting lugs, then lo and behold, no more hunting.
Like I said, something to think about.

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 08:45:38 AM »
Just a little something to think about.
A few years back, I had a Thunderbird that had a hunting problem that was getting the best of me. I tried everything. Played with the CG, tweeked the elevator and lead outs.
It was suggested by one of the local hot shots, to add in a touch of down thrust.
When the big shots speak, I listen.
So I simply added washers under the front mounting lugs, then lo and behold, no more hunting.
Like I said, something to think about.

THIS!!!!!
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 09:10:25 AM »
Another thing I have noticed is that when I am having hunting issues I find that others I am flying with are having similar problems.  Are you sure that your hunting is not weather or terrain induced?  We are all familiar with the ground effect that makes that last couple of inches on landing so much fun.  An uneven flying site can easily create a layer of unstable air near the ground that makes you think that the plane is hunting.

It's a nice flat paved circle, and the airplane was dead steady in upright level flight, and for at least the first half hour of my practice session on Wednesday the air was dead calm.  I'm not going to rule out pilot error, but it sure seems that conditions are perfect for it.
AMA 64232

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 12:11:52 PM »
Now I am by no means as qualified as so many others on this site but why not have someone else of your caliber, give it a flight or two and see if they sense the same flight characteristics?  That would certainly eliminate your style as the problem then the modifications could be made in earnest.  ???

Online Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 12:14:32 PM »
THIS!!!!!

When the the “Hot Shots “ speak, we should listen.
Mr Moon is one of those “Hot Shots”

Online FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 01:05:36 PM »
To verify if engine thrust is the culprit, fly inverted until the engine quits.  Then, observe whether or not the glide seems to "hunt".
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 09:27:23 AM »
I have a question. If a plane track nicely in normal flight and hunts in upside down could it be simply because the neutral position of the handle is not set properly? We are very used to fly normal flight level and we do not notice the bias on the handle in normal flight but when we go inverted and try that same neutral point (kind of because there is a tine bit of correction between upright and inverted) we actually give the model some extra up or down in order to fly level, the muscle memory takes over and creeps in and imputes and unconscious control, we realize the model goes up or down and correct again and the cycle continues as we constantly correct for that giving an impression of hunting inverted when in reality the handle is off. In this case scenario the question becomes how to properly set a neutral point on the handle.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 10:55:56 AM »
Now I am by no means as qualified as so many others on this site but why not have someone else of your caliber, give it a flight or two and see if they sense the same flight characteristics?  That would certainly eliminate your style as the problem then the modifications could be made in earnest.  ???

I'll see who I can sweet-talk at the next contest.  Unfortunately, with my schedule I end up practicing on Wednesday mornings from 7:30 to 9:30 or 10:00, alone.  Occasionally Fridays or Saturdays, but those are mostly taken up with honey-dos.  Maybe Fred Underwood would be willing to fly with me at Salem sometime, if he could stand getting slimed.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2019, 10:57:18 AM »

So, caliber is how well you fly, does that mean that the guys who fly better than I do are bigger bores?
AMA 64232

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 11:09:25 AM »
Tim, PM sent.  I can clean my hands after slime.
Fred

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2019, 03:51:05 PM »
My contribution will be to repeat three ideas already posted. Honestly, my first thought was to add downthrust, second was to adjust handle neutral, and third was to do anything that Paul says to do. Probably would start with anything Paul suggests.    #^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2019, 07:25:53 AM »
Option three.

Mike

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2019, 09:25:03 AM »
  It's you. If it hunts inverted

Best way to isolate that thought is to check against another plane that you know it doesn't hunt..  y1

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here