News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:04:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First flight of the new bird  (Read 1863 times)

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
First flight of the new bird
« on: October 26, 2018, 03:49:33 AM »
This airplane is going to be a good one for next year.

AMA 12366

Offline TDM

• Captain
Re: First flight of the new bird
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 06:08:48 AM »
Congratulations, for sure it shows a lot of potential in the first flight. It looked quite good in the air. Good quality video too. That was in Huntersville right? There where a few models over there and it looks like you have quite a club going on there. What do you have in the nose of that bird?
Sparky I wish you many happy flights with your new bird.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 06:48:56 AM »
Looks like a nice one Robert.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Airacobra

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 07:52:35 AM »
Sparky give us some details on the plane. From the looks of it, it may have some Werwage influence on it.
Keith Bryant

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 08:43:58 AM »
Looks like a winner nce you get used to it and have it trimmed.   That is the east circle at Buder Park, right? H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 01:26:54 PM »
I thought I was the only one crazy enough to put in a full tank on the 1st flight!  I love the way it turns.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 01:39:57 PM »
Ken I think no one is buying the idea of a first flight, or are we?  The video is nice and clear.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 01:58:14 PM »
Ken I think no one is buying the idea of a first flight, or are we?  The video is nice and clear.
I will give him the benefit of the doubt.  I did squares with my new twister last week on it's first flight on a 30 second trim setting, warp and all.  You gotta be a bit crazy to do what we do anyway so why not a pattern.  He did skip the one thing you never do first with an untested plane - the wingover.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 02:40:44 PM »
Sparky,
Looks like a keeper, what glow motor is it powered with and the rest of the details about the model.

Later,
Mikey

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 03:10:28 PM »
Huntersville last weekend.
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 03:27:14 PM »
I witnessed the flight from 10 feet outside the circle.
The plane looked great and very stable, even in a gusty wind.
He was very conservative with the maneuvers but the few he did looked very nice.
Looks like a winner.

Bob Z.

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 06:58:36 PM »
The engine is a PA.75 on a pipe set at 19.5 RPM was 7900 on 64-foot lines. 5% Sig Champion fuel. Airplane weight 62.8 oz. 1/2 oz tip weight.
AMA 12366

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 07:05:29 PM »

Welcome to the forum Sparky! Plane looks great!  :)
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 07:08:18 PM »

I have witnessed Sparky fly the pattern on maiden flights on several models over the years. The last three airplanes I built were all put through the pattern on the maiden flights. If you know what engine/prop/tank set ups are, can build straight and true, and do a thorough job of bench trimming the airplane, there should be no reason to not fly the pattern. I understand "new plane-itis" and it's natural to be nervous flying a new bird. But if you have faith in your abilities and know and really understand your equipment, it's really no problem.
   I built a second Shark 45 for the 2005 VSC. It was a clone of the first one I built in 1994. Same engine, tank, prop, controls and such. The engine was a previously used ST.51 and well broken in. The plan was to have this airplane be as close to the first one as possible to minimize trimming and teething at VSC. I set up on the grass circles with Bob McDonald.  I asked him if he could sight the model for wings level on the first flight. I fueled it, started it, set the needle for the usual RPM, and Bob launched. After a few laps he signaled OK, I flipped it over for a few laps and he signaled OK so I went into the pattern. It was like I was flying the first Shark, like putting on an old glove. After landing, Bob asked if I had just made some changes and I told him, no, it was the maiden flight on the airplane! He seemed pretty impressed. But there was no reason in my mind not to fly the pattern with an airplane that I knew so well. In some of his construction articles, Jack Sheeks often mentioned flying the pattern with his airplanes on the maiden flights. He said that if it wouldn't fly right then, it might never fly right! They were usually flown with minimum finish on them in case he needed to cut back into them for some reason. If you know what you are doing, have confidence in your ability and equipment, there should be no reason not to fly a pattern on the first flight.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 07:53:28 PM »
I never do the RO on the first flight but after the first loops, you can tell if it's going to be OKAY.  So look at the wings if they are close upright and inverted and after to outsides you should have a pretty good idea if things are going to be okay. I stay around 8-foot on the first flight to see if the trim is going well.

After a few laps, you can tell if it's going to square the rest is a piece of cake. As Dan said to you he has witnessed it over the years so it's nothing out of the norm for me.

We build these to perform and if it's not going to, you might as well know up front.
AMA 12366

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 12:42:48 AM »
I will give him the benefit of the doubt.  I did squares with my new twister last week on it's first flight on a 30 second trim setting, warp and all.  You gotta be a bit crazy to do what we do anyway so why not a pattern.  He did skip the one thing you never do first with an untested plane - the wingover.

Ken
Ok, being a rookie I must ask.  Why, if the other maneuvers are ok to try (assuming things are feeling correct), is the wing over taboo on the first flight?

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 03:03:50 AM »
Ok, being a rookie I must ask.  Why, if the other maneuvers are ok to try (assuming things are feeling correct), is the wing over taboo on the first flight?

Gary

You could do it if you pulled out extremely high but on the first flight you don't yet know the turn rate
AMA 12366

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 06:10:14 AM »

Gary
#1 you don't know how it will turn or what it will do when it turns. #2 You don't know if the tip weight is in range to overcome the line inertia.  #3 you don't know if the engine/tank is right.  Couple of tight loops and a lap inverted and you know all of the above are in range.   It may look easy when done by an expert like Sparky but the 1st turn of the wingover is the most dangerous turn in the entire pattern.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 07:24:48 AM »
And now I know.....!
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here