News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:15:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fiorotti programing g force  (Read 2840 times)

Online Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Fiorotti programing g force
« on: April 21, 2024, 11:30:43 PM »
Hi, so I have my fioretti programmed so it kicks in extra power when the nose points up. But it also says g force in another programming window.
When I did my vertical 8 today, it kicked in extra power on the first loop, but by the top of the second loop it doesn't register the nose as pointed up and I lose my power boost.  How does the g force programming work? I'm sure there must be benefits to this timer. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 07:55:02 PM by Shorts,David »

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fioretti programing g force
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 07:09:06 AM »
Hi, so I have my fioretti programmed so it kicks in extra power when the nose points up. But it also says g force in another programming window.
When I did my vertical 8 today, it kicked in extra power on the first loop, but by the top of the second loop it doesn't register the nose as pointed up and I lose my power boost.  How does the g force programming work? I'm sure there must be benefits to this timer. 
Learning how to balance nose up and g-force is a plane-by-plane exercise.  I have been using Fiorotti for three years and it turns out different on each plane.  I prefer using g-force to nose up.  I have been told that it works by measuring the difference in gravitational pull but somehow I think centrifugal force also plays a part.  That is why you need to calibrate to set a level flight base line.  The boost from nose up is hard to regulate in the rounds and a real problem in winds over 10 where it creates serious wind up.  The nominal boost from the sensitivity setting is enough for most of the pattern.  Nose up is great for the RWO and the 1st leg of the hourglass but you get the same boost, only a bit later with g-force.  I was given some advice when I first started using the timer to turn off nose up and g-force and trim the plane to fly as best it could using only rpm and sensitivity.  With those settings start adding the others till you had it like you wanted it.  Of course, I ignored that and wasted a lot of time messing around.  A relatively high g-force setting is like adding an extra gear that automatically shifts when the lines start to slacken.  It has it's maximum benefit in back end of the pattern starting with the V8.  It takes some getting used to, especially in the OH8 and level flight in wind.  In my experience G-Force is an electric 4-2-4.

Just for grins, turn off nose up, crank g-force way up and see what it does.  Then do the same with Nose Up and g-force off.  That will tell you when each kicks in.   Also watch the corners.  Are you getting boost coming out of the corner or after you exit it?  Also be careful of g-force if you fly big.  You may get an unwanted boost at the top of the loops.

Good luck.  My settings will probably differ from others, and I hope that they will chime in as well so we all can learn more about this timer.

Ken
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 07:19:39 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Fioretti programing g force
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 06:24:43 PM »
Thanks Ken, I'll definitely put that advice to use.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
Re: Fiorotti programing g force
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 08:08:35 PM »
I’ll try to add to Ken’s post with a little user experience. My use of force terms may not be good engineer-speak as I don’t know that language.

If your timer says G-force in a window, it is likely a v6.4.  The V6.5 has more G-force options showing in the window.  If you just turn G-force on to its lowest on setting, it will then show you the outward force that you are flying with, as the number of “G’s” equivalent (after calibration).  In addition, you will notice that you get a rapid blink of the light for about 3.5 – 4 laps as it calibrates to find that number.  Fly level in those first laps until regular blinking.  When you are directly overhead, the plane is pulled down directly along the lines with a force of 1 G.  So, overhead the force that the timer shows for level lap is decreased by 1 G.  At some value of outward force less than the calibrated, the timer will add rpm based on the amount of G-force selected.  That amount is preset in the timer.  At some point in elevation, there is enough downward force along the lines to turn on G-force.  In real flight conditions, speed may also decrease as the plane climbs and give further decrease in outward force/G-force.  G-force may come on in the 45 – 50° range and then be active above.  Meaning it may be on at the tops of some horizontal maneuvers.  In moderate wind, G force can add or subtract rpm in level flight if the wind pushes the plane up wind, of pulls out enough downwind to exceed the force change threshold.  After you understand calibration and the G-force number, it is easy to adjust the G-force setting to fit your style.  5 - 10 is a reasonable starting value.

Nose up seems to come on in the 20° nose pointed up range and then goes off at less.  Not elevation, but nose point angle.  Nose up does not care if the plane needs a boost for acceleration or force, it just comes on with the angle.

Of course Sensitivity settings also enter in.  You can turn off Sensitivity and learn nose up and G-force as already mentioned.

Hope this helps.

See the manual here
https://stunthanger.com/smf/gettin-all-amp'ed-up!/fiortti-timer/msg660554/#msg660554
a pdf in reply 116.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 08:30:31 PM by Fred Underwood »
Fred

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Fiorotti programing g force
« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:29:01 AM »
Thank you Ken and Fred! I’ve flown the Fiorotti the last two years but never used the G force setting as I never read an explanation of it. I’ll be experimenting with it soon! Flying in windy conditions has always been an issue as my plane really winds up. Using that to tame wind up is very exciting!

Matt

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here