News:

• April 18, 2024, 11:01:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Obtaining Site Insurance through the AMA  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Obtaining Site Insurance through the AMA
« on: December 12, 2018, 05:53:22 PM »
I received permission to fly control line planes at a local soccer field complex when not in use (midweek, in the mornings). However the governing authority is requesting a “certificate of insurance” to use the facility.

In a phone call to the AMA that “site insurance” could be obtain through a local club but is not available for an individual. I found a local RC club that is willing to help by joining their club and obtaining the site insurance through the club. Has anyone gone through this process? Is there anything that I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Dennis

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Obtaining Site Insurance through the AMA
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 09:03:48 PM »
Dennis,

This is part of the normal club charter process. I'm not sure what type of info you specifically are looking for...?

You can look up the application form (#904) on the AMA website. That may answer some of your questions. After the AMA processes the insurance paperwork, they send a form to the named property owner/manager (such as a parks department) to confirm your coverage. So you will need the name, address, and email for the person responsible.

I would suggest that when you fly there, you have in your possession a copy of the authorizing letter from the property owner/manager, and a copy of the insurance form.

The AMA appears to only deal with one point of contact for each club. In our club it is the President. So if you are going to work this thru an existing club, you need to find out who their POC is, and go over the whole process with him.

You will need the lat/long of the field, and need to know if there are any airports nearby.

This sounds like a great opportunity. Good luck!

Dave Hull
President, Valley Circle Burners

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 06:35:31 PM »
Thanks Dave, the the form and your information was very helpful.

Dennis

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 09:00:52 PM »
Be careful that the R/C club understands that the soccer field is NOT to be used for R/C flying, or you'll have trouble. It's difficult enough to keep the park flier, helicopter and multi-rotor crowd away from a purpose-built CL facility. They tend to not take "NO" for an answer. Your local Park Department will probably tell you to dial 911 if they won't leave.  mw~ Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 06:07:38 AM »
Your first problem is to that you asked for permission. If is available I just go fly. Is a public place and you pay taxes for that.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 12:07:35 PM »
TDM,

I had been using this soccer complex for several years during the midweek, with no problems. Just recently the owner of the property hired a security company to protect, not just the soccer complex, but other areas and buildings around the clock. It was then I was told that I could no longer fly there. I contacted the security company and asked what I needed to do in order to use the field. They told me that I needed to obtain permission from the owner, which is a private company and not a government agency.

This company "has" given me permission use their field and has been very cooperative. All they are asking for is a certificate of insurance to use the soccer complex.

The AMA has been very helpful in letting me know how to go about obtaining a site insurance. It was either by creating my own club with a minimum of 5 members or belong to a local club and have them obtain the site insurance. The AMA helped me to find several local RC clubs through their web site. None of these clubs have control line flying sites or members that fly control line. I explained the situation with the President and later the Treasurer of the club. They are very willing to assist me to obtain this site for control line flying through their club. All that would be required of me was to join their club, which I was glad to do. I also volunteered to pay the $80.00 to obtain the site insurance from AMA as I didn't want the RC club to have any additional cost involved in obtaining this site.

My hope is that I can get this all worked out with the spirit of cooperation and have a place to fly, without forcing or using "strong arm tactics" to do so.

Dennis

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 09:44:13 AM »
Check your home owners insurance. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 10:00:59 AM »
I got permission to fly on the local high school drivers ed pad  even held an F2C trials there .they also needed proof of insurance so went to the U/C club in the next town and got permission to add the pad as their 2nd flying site went back with the insurance papers and got to fly there for 3 years until they put an Art Center right in the middle of it
rad racer

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here