News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:45:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Converting to li po starter batteries for 2020 flying season. Suggestions  (Read 575 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
     Hello All:

To improve my flying pleasure for the 2020 season, I am planning to replace my battery pack with something that has more power for a longer period of time.  I am now using 10 sub c  that  produce 12 volts for a short period of time.  I can get about 3-4 minutes of starting time with .35 engines that turn easily before the batteries go dead.  There is no way that this battery pack has enough torque to spin an ABC .40 engine!

What I am considering is using two 7.2 volt li po batteries in series to up grade my starter power supply.  These new batteries may be adapted to the Southern RC battery/Sullivan Starter holder.  This may provide improved torque and longer periods between charging.

If you have suggestion, comments or items for sale kindly, kindly inform me.  I do have a very nice, expensive, battery charger to maintain most batteries.

I enjoy using a cordless starter!

Tia,

Frank McCune               

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Converting to li po starter batteries for 2020 flying season. Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 07:29:05 AM »
Been using a 14.4 V lipo for years on my Sullivan starter.   Only problem is you don't have low voltage cutoff in a starter.  Also I tend to leave them fully charged.  However I use old (not good for flight) batteries.   They seem to survive all of the abuse.   I am swapping over to all electric U-control so I use the starter very little.  However Lipo has worked for me on my starter.  PS I built plywood adapters to fit and hold the Lipo battery under the starter.   Cheep LiPos will work in this app.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 08:18:46 AM »
Frank,
Pretty much any one of these would work  http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/batteries/4s-lipo.html?battery_capacity_range=179  There are a zillion other choices and sizes. Why don't you just see if an e-flyer near you has a slightly older 4 cell lipo that's not puffed that he isn't using? You may get one or more for free or very low cost that way. Remember that you will need a charger capable of charging lipos. YOU CANNOT USES YOUR OLD MIMH/NICAD CHARGER!!!!!!!!!! You can use one of these  http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/batteries/battery-accessories/battery-capacity-checker.html  to keep track of your battery capacity These are more than accurate enough for your purposes. Keep your battery between 40% and 75% charged and you wont have to worry much about damaging the battery by keeping it fully charged at all times. You should still have more punch than you will ever need, especially if you get a larger capacity lipo.
AMA 98010

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 09:00:13 AM »
Frank

also get a charger specifically for lipo battery charging.
I have been using one of these for a long time.
it is both AC and DC powered.

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/chargers/lipo-balance-chargers/b6-and-power-supply.html

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 09:47:08 AM »
     Hi Again:

The charger that I plan to use, is Hi Tec RDX1.  I is capable of performing all functions that Will be necessary for managing Li Po batteries.  I hope.

Anybody using this charger. Opinions?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Dwayne

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 12:10:57 PM »
I've been using the same Zippy 3000 ma 4s on my starter for 10 years.

Offline Richard Imhoff

• 2019 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 02:44:13 PM »
Here is my rig, been using it for a few years now.
 More power than a dry cell and needs charging a couple times a year.

Dick Imhoff  AMA 58502

Combat, Racing, Stunt, and big time fun flyer, and Maybe a bit of carrier.

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 05:38:28 PM »
I have a Turnigy Heavy Duty 12V starter and use a 3s lipo. I also use another 3s connected through a power panel for the glow plug. I know I could run both the starter and plug with one battery through the power panel but I prefer to keep them seperate. With both batteries I use the charger to keep them at storage voltage which is still more than enough power.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here