News:

• June 07, 2024, 07:36:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More drone crap  (Read 1143 times)

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
More drone crap
« on: March 14, 2019, 09:37:52 PM »

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: More drone crap
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 02:15:33 PM »
Bob,

No, that appears to be one of the commentaries on the prolonged incident from late last year. (Dec. 2018) Old news.

But the problem has not gone away. I don't recall them ever tracking down a verified offender.

Dave

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 04:07:16 PM »
First conviction in Canada. (Way up north, where I live)
G

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/drone-flyer-convicted-yellowknife-1.4879016
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 05:02:33 PM »
First conviction in Canada. (Way up north, where I live)
G

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/drone-flyer-convicted-yellowknife-1.4879016

DAMN!! That guy should be considered a career criminal! He's got away with bloody murder. I would have stood him up against a wall and shot him!  If that sentence doesn't make people "loose faith in the justice system"  I don't know what would!

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 08:20:39 PM »
Flying a drone in the path of an aircraft should be charged as attempted murder, or terrorism, or something more serious than what he was.

A friend of mine was on a jury where the charge was "concealed weapon". The guy was a professional mechanic with a screwdriver in his pocket!  It goes both ways, unfortunately. (My buddy did convince the jury to not convict, but there was this one gal who said that you just HAD to believe the cops.

Life is a mess, and there is only one way out of it.  VD~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Online Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 02:50:31 AM »
An RF spectrum-monitoring device that could isolate and jam the frequency that the drone is operating on would be the most logical choice.

Offline Fredvon4

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 12:36:37 PM »
OTOH

if you know a little about the FCC, spectrum managment, and ALL the various schemes of isolation and frequency hopping...there is NO system to detect and scramble, interfere with ONLY Drone command and control ---withOUT also interfering with all aircraft air and ground operations at any airfield

I worked a LOT of years on US Army Radio Jamming  and anti jamming systems...some with super high wattage and very broad spectrum.....

Most drones are within the FCC legal 2.4Ghz spread spectrum scheme...and commercially some up in the 5.2 Ghz spread spectrum scheme.... many of the First person View transmissions require a FCC Technician License to operate...even the wally world ones...

Interference immunization was EXACTLY why these R/C systems exist today....

Good luck jamming one deliberately withOUT going Heavy NUKE---- IE---VERY Broad Band very high wattage, and wiping out ANY and ALL 2.4Ghz or 5.2Ghz  bandwidth within the 5 miles of airport acreage

We had spec ops fixed wing and Huey's in my day, that could shut down every radio emission within 20 miles .....very bad mojo when your electric grid is controlled by radio links...very bad mojo.....thunk on that a sec
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 10:21:27 AM by Fredvon4 »
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 12:41:36 PM »
Sean,
The implication of the reported comments at Gatwick suggests that that is exactly what they were setting up to do. Since this is a new threat, this capability is not deployed, so it is thought that there was a delay as the equipment was brought in.

My personal opinion is that the FCC should not have allowed frequency-hopping (jam resistant) technology to be used on consumer items. I know it has been a boon to the R/C hobby, but we are now reaping what we have sown. Of course, it is further assumed that up to date jamming equipment would have little problem....

For those who are noting the "first drone conviction" in the Great White North, it is my understanding that the FAA convicted over 23 individuals of multiple counts in the USA back in 2016. And presumably at least that many since then, based on the urgency of the government to get the problem under control. And while the fine, upstanding gentlemen residing in Yellowknife is clearly a knucklehead, the USA has more than our fair share.

Dave

Offline Doug Burright

• Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 11:02:24 PM »
And the Academy of Model Aeronautics wants to include these type of drone pilots into their body of modelers, and cover them with insurance that we pay for?

This is why the FAA sees model airplanes as a threat, and have decided to regulate and control their usage. Since the AMA was the body that presented itself to the FAA as the governing body over drones, and was shown that they actually had little control over that segment of aviation, the FAA decided to create a way to make pilots accountable for their actions. A blanket regulation to register pilots who fly certain types of models- because of the few that screwed it up for everyone! GREAT! Thanks AMA! (said sarcastically)

It seems that the AMA is the threat to model aviation; and it has shown the government that it doesn't have control over a category of flyers that it has included in it's insurance coverage. If we can count on the AMA to keep encouraging the government to regulate and restrict our pilots, models and flying, soon there will be no reason for us to need the AMA.
I will build it. It's gonna be really difficult to find me with an ARF. I know every bit of my airplane!

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 10:01:57 AM »
Doug,

I’d say that there is little chance of an individual such as has been mentioned joining anything like an organized group with rules. His every citation (in the article) was for a rebellious act—a total non-conformist. I’d say this is generally true here in the US of A as well regarding joining the AMA, especially with $75 dues. Not a member? No coverage. So you are wasting your valuable angst if you have picked this to worry about….

In the future, let’s hope that rulemaking occurs such that GPS-coupled autopilots are only allowed for use by Part 107 operators. With that license, there is enough training that ignorant errors should no longer occur, and they will have enough skin in the game to avoid blatant, open violations.

Dave

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here