News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:03:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: This wont fly  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • khspriggs
This wont fly
« on: September 26, 2006, 02:20:00 AM »
Well since I am just getting back in to this UC thing after 35 years, I didn't have a plane to take to the contest. I decided to take something else that I had built. This is definitely scratch built as I built it from scrap metal and about 120 pictures of the real thing. Bob thought that the rest of you might enjoy seeing a picture of it even if it wont fly.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 07:55:38 AM by Robert Storick »

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
Re: This wont fly
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 02:25:35 AM »
Very nice, it has lots of cool appeal.
Joe Gilbert

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 05:10:05 AM »
  You would be surprised what will actually fly! **)
Regards, Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 06:47:16 AM »
Well since I am just getting back in to this UC thing after 35 years, I didn't have a plane to take to the contest. I decided to take something else that I had built. This is definitely scratch built as I built it from scrap metal and about 120 pictures of the real thing. Bob thought that the rest of you might enjoy seeing a picture of it even if it wont fly.

I told him to post this here in hopes that you might enjoy it. However this pictures does not due this model justice. It is a piece of art! I would estimate the value of this between 3000 and 8000 dollars. Hundreds of hand made parts. No Plans just pictures.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 07:55:20 AM by Robert Storick »
AMA 12366

Offline Leroy Heikes

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 07:53:33 AM »
Does it operate on steam? or do you use compressed air. It is one nice looking steam engine. I bet it sounds good when it is in motion.

Leroy

Offline Harry Rice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 10:17:18 AM »
That is just lovely!! Well done - top marks.

If you like that sort of thing try to visit here:

http://www.kbsm.org/engines/

Especially when they are running them....

Cheers

Harry

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 12:22:52 PM »
Isn't it wonderful that you can post something like that here and you don't have to worry about it getting deleted.  Simply gorgeous.  Although, I think you've got a very serious cowling job ahead of you and I think you are going to be vulnerable in the "corners" with it.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 12:47:07 PM »
Isn't it wonderful that you can post something like that here and you don't have to worry about it getting deleted.  Simply gorgeous.  Although, I think you've got a very serious cowling job ahead of you and I think you are going to be vulnerable in the "corners" with it.

**) **) **) **) **) **) **) **) **) **)

still laughing  **) good one proparc y1

Kieth, about how big is that? maybe 18inches long? What is your burner power? very handy work, and I like the details, like the bricks and handrails, way excellent, I bet your airplanes are beautiful too.

You ever been to the old steam engine festival they used to have at Greenfield Village way back? Some of the first engines ever were running there, good times.

Greg  ~>
Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 06:57:52 AM »
What length lines?  **)

Offline Dennis Vander Kuur

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 08:06:30 AM »
Keith,
I saw it at the St. Louis contest. Absolutely a beautiful creation and a testimony to your outstanding craftmanship.
Dennis
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 08:24:35 AM by Dennis Vander Kuur »
Dennis L. Vander Kuur
AMA 29292

Dwayne

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 02:39:58 PM »
Loving all things mechanical I can safely say WOWWWW!!!! That's incredible!! I wish I had the skill and patience to scratch build something like that!!! Verry verry nice!
Dwayne
 f~  j1  y1  #^

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 03:19:58 PM »
Very nice.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 07:31:29 PM »
Everyone seem to know what it is modeled after except myself. It looks like the old Bar Mill drive from Republic Steel. :-\

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 07:34:27 PM »
I think you would like the Florida Flywheelers site.
http://www.floridaflywheelers.org/
They have a link to a 450 hp stationary engine as big as a locomotive.

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 11:11:18 PM »
I will try to answer all your questions in one message. First off thank all of you for your kind words. It is really special when other model builders appreciate your work. 

The engine will run on steam or air either one. I always run it on air because it is a lot cleaner and easier. This model is 1/20 scale the original had a 15 foot flywheel which translates to 9 inches on the model. The real one was built in the 1800's and at the end of it's useful life it was used in a textile mill in Texas.  The main difference in building something like this and building a scale model plane is that you don't have to worry about the weight of a steam engine. This one probably weighs 25-30 ponds with the wood base.

I used to build scale model planes and may give it another try as my next project. If any of you ever get a chance to visit a "model engineer" show such as the one they hold every year in Toledo I am sure you would enjoy it. There you will see such things such as 9 and 18 cylinder scale model radial engines that are about 12 inches in diameter. They actually run. Ever see three real Morton M5's and three reproduction ones at the same time? Last year a man had a couple of non flying model planes there one of them was an SE5A with no covering. It had every gusset, cable and turn buckle to scale. The stick and rudders actually worked as per the real one.
Oh yes I have been to Greenfield Village but they didn't have anything running when I was there.

More to the subject of CL models. I have my Flite Streak finished and I have set up a flying date for weekend after next. It has been 35 years so wish me luck. I am not worried about keeping it in the air as much as I am about getting dizzy. (A lot of people think that I am already). If I balance it as per the instructions it is going to require quite a bit of weight in the tail. This makes me a little nervous because I once flew a 54 inch wing span J3 Cub that was tail heavy and it wasn't a pretty sight, but that's a story for a different time.

A lot of things have changed in the last 35 years, but I found out at St Louis, CL flyers are still a great bunch.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here