News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:59:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do you use an electric starter? Is there a "right" way?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
     Hello:

Is there a "right" way to use an electric starter.  Describe your method and are you satisfied with that method. 

Be well,

Frank McCune

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: How do you use an electric starter? Is there a "right" way?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 08:09:02 AM »
Stick the rubber cone to the spinner and pull the trigger.  Many will tell you don't use an electric starter that it will damage the motor.  I have used one for years and years and haven't hurt a motor yet. On the other hand many in my club get a motor to start with one flip.  So to use or not use is up to your own personal view.  Another one of those arguments that does not have a definitive answer. S?P
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 09:14:04 AM »
AHHH one of my biggest pet peeves is watching someone ,weather it be a stunt guy or a speed flyer  crank and crank and crank in a starter.if it dosnt start right off something is wrong.,no fuel or no Glo

I like to bump start. if it has fuel to the needle and spark, it should fire right off.

fill the tank, ,bring fuel to the needle either buy putting a finger over the over flow vent and giving a little squeeze or by finger choking a few times .add a few drops to the venturie and flip over a few times hook up glo driver and pull through by holding the prop if u get a bump . then bump the starter onto the spinner and it should fire right off .

if u put the spinner in the starter and it runs and runs without any sign of starting STOP,make sure u have fuel and spark and start again .

once u get the hang of it ,it should fire right off every time. just remember the starter will not Make it start ,just make it easier and save Fingers  All Done Rad  y1
rad racer

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 09:39:11 AM »
Stick the rubber cone to the spinner and pull the trigger.

Stick the cone to the spinner firmly.  With wimpy starters and high compression engines, back the prop gently against compression, so the starter can get up some speed before the engine hits compression.

If you just have a prop nut, turn the rubber cone around -- most are designed so that the resulting small hole will center the starter on the prop nut, and the pressure of the rubber against the prop is enough to start the engine, if you do the back-to-compression thing above.

Many will tell you don't use an electric starter that it will damage the motor.

Somewhere in my stash of Cox engines I have an example of a case and prop drive that are chewed up by an electric starter.  There needs to be a thrust bearing that can take the load without getting chewed up.  Most engines recent-er than the 70's or so have a thin steel washer between case and prop drive, or some such.  If that's not there then the crank pin will ride against the backplate, or the prop drive will ride against the case.

I've also heard from more than one diesel aficionado that it's very easy to bend a rod against a diesel's extra compression if you use an electric finger.  Again, I suspect that an engine designed for such starting will last better.

I have used one for years and years and haven't hurt a motor yet. On the other hand many in my club get a motor to start with one flip.  So to use or not use is up to your own personal view.  Another one of those arguments that does not have a definitive answer. S?P

I have some engines that are balky with a hand flip, that start right up with an electric.  For CL I mostly use my hand, but I have starters around for the balky ones.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 09:49:03 AM »
I am quick enough to hand start any engine with a 2 blade prop.  However, a 3 blade prop becomes dangerous (to fingers), so I use an electric start.  I first check for a "bump", then the starter only needs to run for a fraction of a second.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Double Deuce

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 10:40:48 AM »
Determining the starter is turning the engine in the "right" way may be one on the more important things one should do. And that is all I am gonna say about that!

Double Deuce

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 11:20:49 AM »
I am quick enough to hand start any engine with a 2 blade prop.  However, a 3 blade prop becomes dangerous (to fingers), so I use an electric start.  I first check for a "bump", then the starter only needs to run for a fraction of a second.

I can start a conventional engine with a 3-blade with a forward flip, but its not a good idea with big engines with carbon props. I always use the back-bump technique, and with any modern engine, it's safe and easy.

Brett

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 12:57:42 PM »
Frank,
One of the first things to do if using a starter is to flip the engine several times to make sure it is not flooded. A flooded engine when hit with a starter can bend the con rod. Use a small prime by choking one or twice at most, flip several time in both directions then apply the battery and apply the starter. As Bob said if it doesn't go pretty quick stop and check the plug/battery.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Cody bishop

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 01:51:54 PM »
Don’t use a starter they are bad for the engine they push crank shaft into crank case or back plate and give a good opportunity to bend the connecting rod instead use either a chicken stick or a heavy Duty glove(like the kind ment for yard work) with a peice of heater hose that goes around your finger you will still feel it if it hits but it wouldn’t cut

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here