News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:51:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do you measure exact wing area?  (Read 3655 times)

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How do you measure exact wing area?
« on: April 05, 2021, 05:15:16 PM »
Let's hear some of your methods!

Bob Z.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: How do you measure exact wing area?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 06:32:35 PM »
I'm basically lazy. I use my computer and my CAD program. It also measures the M.A.C. as well. Yes, it's cheating, and not discussing, using, and developing the skills to accurately measure the wing area manually. I told you I was lazy didn't I?
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 06:49:47 PM »
For stunt, or for some class where it matters?

If it's for a class that calls out wing area, I'd do it the way the rule book says.  If that doesn't say (sorry, I haven't looked) I'd either do the high school algebra calculate the area of a trapezoid method ((root chord + tip chord)/2 * span) or I'd put the outline of the wing on graph paper and count squares.

If it's for stunt -- who cares?  There's so many variables, that if you're within 10% that's good enough.  For the most part we modellers do it wrong anyway (full-scale airplanes count the wing area not including the fuselage -- modellers just argue about what's "right").
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 07:43:54 PM »
  I usually just look at the title block on the plan or the kit box lid, but that's just me!
   Type at you  later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline katana

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 03:40:15 AM »
Assuming straight or tapered wing panels? - Add root chord width to tip chord width and divide by two. Multiply that figure by wing length for each panel then add the two together. Tips if 'large' can be calc'd in a similar fashion and the total will probably be within a few sq. inches.

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 06:39:21 AM »
Simple math for straight elements.

For curves such as wingtips --
Get some homogeneous cardboard like from a cereal box and cut it to 100 square inches. Weigh it.
Trace the shape of the curved onto the same cardboard, cut it loose and weigh it.
Simple math will give you the results you need.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 07:40:40 AM »
Calculating the area of a polygon
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 10:48:11 AM »
BINGO!!!!!

Any shape, no matter how complex.

Get some homogeneous cardboard like from a cereal box and cut it to 100 square inches. Weigh it.
Trace the shape of the curved onto the same cardboard, cut it loose and weigh it.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 11:29:36 AM »
He beat me to it.  This was taught me many years ago.  This is when a gram scale works. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 02:59:43 PM »
Interestingly, in aero calcs we include the wing area that's "inside" the fuselage, not just the exposed wing. There's a reason we do it but it get's fairly (OK, extremely boringly) esoteric. All I'll tell you is use the wing area before it goes into the fuselage.

Chuck

AMA 76478

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 05:27:02 PM »
The arithmetic is easy enough.  Where we run into trouble is the argument whether or not to include flaps as part of total area.  Many "experts" do not consider flaps to be part of the wing area.

I tend to go by plan view; looking down on the wing from a distance.  Looks like Wing Area to me!  Air flows past it, just like the rest of the wing.

So I include flaps as part of wing area.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 07:54:47 PM »
Interestingly, in aero calcs we include the wing area that's "inside" the fuselage, not just the exposed wing. There's a reason we do it but it get's fairly (OK, extremely boringly) esoteric. All I'll tell you is use the wing area before it goes into the fuselage.

My new plane has wings that bolt onto the side of the fuselage.  Does the part that’s not inside, but should be, count? 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 08:00:18 PM »
My new plane has wings that bolt onto the side of the fuselage.  Does the part that’s not inside, but should be, count?

Always
Tortured Stunt Flyer Department

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 09:42:21 PM »
I use 3/4" Baltic birch plywood for the weight templates. It is extremely uniform and I can use a larger scale for more accuracy.....

The Divot

PS--I have for sale a heavy duty Nobler components set. Extremely durable. FOB

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2021, 12:09:09 AM »
If 1/10th bolted inside the fuselage , you could bolt ten through the fuselage, and you wouldnt need any wings .  ;)  .

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2021, 05:18:01 AM »
The arithmetic is easy enough.  Where we run into trouble is the argument whether or not to include flaps as part of total area.  Many "experts" do not consider flaps to be part of the wing area.

I tend to go by plan view; looking down on the wing from a distance.  Looks like Wing Area to me!  Air flows past it, just like the rest of the wing.

So I include flaps as part of wing area.

They are not "experts".
AMA 76478

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 05:19:22 AM »

Yep. Pretty weird, eh?
AMA 76478

Online pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 05:50:25 PM »
Other than things that can be defined discretely (i.e I have 5 apples) there are no exact measurements, everything is approximate  S?P
MAAC 8177

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2021, 11:01:36 AM »
They are not "experts".

You know who they are.  They are the few who have "the answer" for stunt design, engine handling, fuel, and judging.  If you dare to disagree,. you get their response, "you are not in the 'top ten', so you need to heed what I say."  I have learned to treat these people with caution.

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2021, 01:25:58 PM »
For certain, I don't qualify for "top 10". <=

Olds school method, with known cardboard of density x lbs./sq. in. (or weigh yourself), make a cardboard cutout of 1/2 the wing (right or left panel). Weigh it, multiple by its known density per square inch. A little crude, but works. (Used to calculate a model rocket center of pressure via similar method.)

Or, Buy Brodak or Sig, then you know the wing area. :!

Online Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2021, 03:43:41 PM »
There’s a mechanical drafting tool called a planimeter.  It’s essentially a mechanical computer that integrates the area inside of a closed two dimensional shape.  I used to use them at work to estimate the weight of a complex castings.

If you really want to geek out, I see used ones on eBay and Etsy for under $100. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planimeter

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2021, 05:01:51 PM »

Great idea
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2021, 10:41:01 AM »
Straight line shapes pose no problem in measurement.  For odd shapes, plot or trace the wing panel full size on grid paper.  My grid paper has 10 divisions per inch.  Then, simply count the squares inside the outline.  If a line bisects a square,then the 1/10 divisions help.  Or sufficient accuracy by just estimating the % of a square. 

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2021, 06:34:16 PM »

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2021, 11:01:40 PM »
For a 2 Dimensional flat plan view a planimeter is the go to but if it's wetted 3D curved area the cardboard cant be beaten.
There is another method using perimeter and string that gives a quick and dirty 2D estimate also.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2021, 09:06:12 AM »
I wish I knew the wing area of this.

Or do I already know?   ;D

I might finish this model and do a paint finishing build.

My guess is 2 days. I'm thinking TRUMP.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2021, 04:59:39 PM »
I wish I knew the wing area of this.

If that is a true ellipse,  area is the span times root chord divided by 4 times pi.

Keith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2021, 05:48:06 PM »
If that is a true ellipse,  area is the span times root chord divided by 4 times pi.

Keith

Keith,

Thank you,

And I have absolutely no idea what the area is.

I'll do that, be nice to know the wing loading, I can do that once I have the area.

Thanks again.

CB
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2021, 05:52:40 PM »
Many "experts" do not consider flaps to be part of the wing area.

If my "many", you mean one, then yes.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2021, 06:36:45 PM »
Maybe he had Fowler flaps in mind like on the big stuff he flew.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2021, 08:40:43 AM »
In Thomas A Edison's book he caught an employee trying to derive formula to calculate the volume inside a light bulb.

Edison told him to weight it full of mercury and get back to work.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2021, 11:10:49 AM »
The formulae for computing the area of a TRUE ellipse are valid.  But a wing drawn up by a modeler is likely to be just "elliptical-looking".

Another close-guess method would be to multiply the span times the AVERAGE chord computed from measurements taken at intervals.  The span and number of the intervals would depend on how accurate you want the result.
Paul Smith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2021, 05:53:00 PM »
The formulae for computing the area of a TRUE ellipse are valid.  But a wing drawn up by a modeler is likely to be just "elliptical-looking".

Another close-guess method would be to multiply the span times the AVERAGE chord computed from measurements taken at intervals.  The span and number of the intervals would depend on how accurate you want the result.

Would this pass the elliptical test?

Now if I cut the wing tip off a tad, like many modelers do for the slider, is the wing then still an elliptical wing?

I didn't design the wing in the photo. I nicked it from an ARF Spitfire wing I had from my R/C days.

I did design this one.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2021, 07:07:07 PM »
I would say that is not AN ellipse, but two different half ellipses joined at the high point.  So if you went the "higher math" route you would have the compute the areas ahead of and behind the high point.
Paul Smith

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2021, 10:12:02 PM »
Charles, if you already have the wing drawn up in a CAD program then that should be able tell you the area.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2021, 12:11:15 AM »
I would say that is not AN ellipse, but two different half ellipses joined at the high point.  So if you went the "higher math" route you would have the compute the areas ahead of and behind the high point.

Here's the higher math for you:  (pi * (c1 + c2) * b) / 4 = ((pi * 2 * c1 * b) / 2 ) / 4 + ((pi * 2 * c2 * b ) / 2 ) / 4
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2021, 01:17:01 AM »

If the forward portion of Charles' wing is a half ellipse and the rear portion is another half ellipse, the equation is still the same:

(root chord x span)/4 x pi

An ellipse is just a squashed out circle.

Keith

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2021, 07:50:44 PM »
For our purposes, isn’t a rough guess close enough? Precision without wind tunnel data at correct Reynolds numbers is meaningless.

It is the guy at the handle and the one tuning the model that gets the trophy. Trust me, I have an MIT degree in Aeronutics, lousy coordination, slow reaction time and never got past an all time career high of one 500 point flight in competition. I treasure that score sheet.

By now, there isn’t much to be discovered in CL Aerobatic science. The pilots are the limiting factor and we need a new generation of ones with razor honed computer game skills to go farther. Sadly, they aren’t interested because model aircraft don’t have a reset button when you screw up. Plus, why spend a year building a model when you can buy a game?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2021, 01:45:58 PM »
For our purposes, isn’t a rough guess close enough?
Like most posts, 'our' purpose doesn't matter, it's the author's that counts and it's a valid question.
MAAA AUS 73427

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here