News:

• April 24, 2024, 04:39:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How a P-51 Works  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Tony Drago

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
How a P-51 Works
« on: January 24, 2022, 11:37:23 PM »
Found this to be interesting details about a P-51.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: How a P-51 Works
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 07:10:52 AM »
Cool...and a LOT of work.

BTW...I know how a P-38 works

Offline Steve Berry

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 07:39:39 AM »
Cool...and a LOT of work.

BTW...I know how a P-38 works
Me, too....

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 07:13:33 AM »

Great animation!
Thanks for posting!

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 08:59:55 AM »
The RAF always gave American-sounding name to American airplanes.  The Mustang is one case in which the US accepted the English name.

According the history I read, the RAF tried to get Americans to build the Spitfire.  The Berliner-Joyce company, which wisely relabeled itself North American, revised and upgraded the Spitfire to become the P-51.  The J that The Navy uses to designate North American goes back to Joyce.
Paul Smith

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 10:15:41 AM »
For three excellent videos on the P51 go to: Kermi Cam North American P51D or try the following link. Kermit Weeks posts three videos, first a preflight walk around, second a cock pit operational you can compare to McNeal's video above and lastly flying the P51 over Fantasy of Flight. All three are excellent and worth watching. In his flight he has a gear indicator lamp malfunction but he lands ok. The flying video really put me back into my Vans RV9 even though I did not have a constant speed prop or retracting gear. The 70 year old IC technology still essentially exists today.

Steve

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 09:30:39 PM »
Be nice to see Weeks Tempest in NZ to get sorted out . Some patroniseing slob thinks theyed do a better mosquito in the U K . . at ten times the price , no doubt . With bits missing .

Plenty of Sea Furys done in N Z , & a Temest 2 there , I think .

https://www.fantasyofflight.com/collection/kermit-weeks/rare-hawker-tempest-v-update/

Think he gave up in disgust after being robbed .

Like Older Cars , the aeroplanes might be a bit of a bitch , but nothing like them built these days . Tho you can get all the pieces to do a Spitfire now , New ! .

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 12:06:26 AM »

Nice video. Great animation. Anyone else notice in the tail wheel explanation the tail wheel steers in the wrong direction?
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 02:24:00 PM »
Paul.
I must say I'm standing to be corrected, my understanding as follows. The UK was in need of more and superior fighters and issued a new fighter requirement. The challenge was accepted and the P51 was made in record time from first napkin sketch to first flight. Was immediately recognised as a game changer and slightly modified for combat after evaluation by the RAF - Malcom hood, Merlin engine swap out - ( which were hand built- whatever that means? Blue printed?) My uncle - Owen Hardy - a Spitfire ace, told me the Brits designed the Mustang. I don't think that was at all correct, but they did stipulate the performance criteria. Interestingly the 'whistle' that makes the Mustang sound so fantastic comes from the cannon muzzles. I used to accompany my uncle to RNZAF Base Auckland for the annual WW2 485 NZ Squadron get together. Two spits and a Mustang would carry out beatups and aerobatics. The hairs on my neck would stand up, tears well up and my blood would curdle at sight and especially the sound of these air warriors threading holes in the south pacific blue stuff. Owen died a few years back at the ripe age of 96 having a few months earlier flown in a spit in the UK. I miss him and his comrades and forever appreciate their service to hand on what we now seem to be giving away for a piitance. His book- Through My Eyes - is a great yarn.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 06:34:07 PM »
OOOH Yuk .

N. A. something .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 06:39:28 PM »
Looks like they mayve got it about right straight off . Pretty well stock externally for 500 mph . a few feet of the wings & a smaller faired in canopy is about it , as far as chopping it .

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 10:16:55 PM »
Nothing like the sounds of a Mustang and Spitfire in formation coming down the main runway about 100+ foot altitude at the Navel Air Station in Chicago in 1970. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here