News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:44:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hobby Shops in america video  (Read 844 times)

Offline Juan Valentin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
Hobby Shops in america video
« on: May 03, 2021, 07:55:48 PM »

I found this 8 minute video in you tube, hobby shops in america by Recollection Road.
                                                                                                                         juan

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Hobby Shops in america video
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 08:34:46 PM »
    There used to be many hobby shops in the St. Louis area. When I got married in 1976, once a month my wife and I would take a Saturday and make a day trip out of hitting every hobby shop in the area, and it would take all day. This did include a stop at a old fashioned dime store that was still open then. I remember Schaefer's, Henze's Hobby House, Afton Hobby, Harter's Hobby and Clarence Idhoe (spelling) Main Street Hobby in Belleville, IL, Astro Hobby, Hobby Haven, , Manchester Hobby, Checkered Flag Hobbies (two locations!) and a fledgling little shop that opened in St.Charles about that time called Mark Twain Hobby where I would eventually work part time for 35 years or so. There were several more that I can't remember the names of and out of all of those, Schaefers and Mark Twain are the lone survivors. Harters was where the Speed pans came from in the old days and the Count Klipper, Peanut, and other such kits, but they evolved into a train and plastic model shop. Schaefer's opened a second location and when Art Sr. retired they closed the original shop on Virginia Ave in South St. Louis and it was probably the closest to what was depicted in the video, at least as much as I can remember. There were many others that used to be here and closed long before I was able to circulate around town. And they were all supplied by Pat Morrisey' s  Ace Hibby Supply, or Jim Wilmouth's MidWest Model Supply. Good times! MAN! Those were good times!!! People these days just have no idea what they are missing!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 03:49:15 AM »
The painting that was the frontispiece of this video was a magazine cover from back in the day by Harold Stevenson. He painted some really good scenes for covers, and that one was one of the best, in my opinion. Wish I owned the original.....   He also drew a few plans and illustrations in a few of the annuals. He would seem to have been very talented.

Thanks for sharing you video find.

Dave

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 09:52:47 AM »
People these days just have no idea what they are missing!
Amen, and the sad truth is that there is no going back.  We have lost our ability to create.

R%%%% When I was a we little one I would get together with the other we little ones and build things. We all lived by the same rules - be home on time for dinner.  A fort in the woods, rockets made from CO2 cartridges and match heads for fuel, everything that Comet sold, Jim Walker sling shot gliders.  That was when I was 6.  At 7 I had my Marksman patch from the NRA and was a fairly accurate bow hunter.  I don't think that the average kid today has a clue what a real childhood is and what freedom really means.  If you don't experience it, and survive, how are you expected to cherish it as an adult.  Hobbies, all of them, are a huge part of that and I feel sad for those who don't immerse themselves in one. R%%%%

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 11:51:35 AM »
           I still have a hobby shop near by that I can go for some items when I need them. I could order online everything but is not the same as going to the hobby shop, seeing what is available and chatting with the owner who is a friend of many years. Kids now days don`t know what they are missing. I have high hopes that my 2 year old grandson will learn to love modeling like I do. I`m 71 years old but I have been a kid all my life. yesterday a friend came by to show me a new engine he bought and we talked about modeling. He asked to see my cache of kits, he has already seeing the engine collection I have.  We took a look at the prices of kits on ebay and noticed that prices are really high.  I`m planning to continue modeling for as long as I can, Is something that I really enjoy. The magazine cover painting appeared on a Hobbies for Young men mag.
                                                                                                                                                 Juan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 03:19:51 PM »
When I first got to flying CL there was only Charlies Hobby Shop.  I was not old enough to drive.  But there were several businesses that had model planes as a side line to heir usual business,  like Jim's Key & Lock,  Welborn Hardware,  and a few others that I can't remember the name of.  There were others on the Missouri side of the state line.   I finally made it to Pop Schriebers Hobby Shop before he closed the doors.   Ace Hobby  Shop in KCMo and Independence Hobby shop.   Plus the hard ware stores that had model supplies.

Now we have two I know of,  Hobby Haven in Overland Park KS and Americas Hobby Center in North Kansas City MO.  Gone are what we used to call the good ole days. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 06:07:33 PM »
When I was around 7, I use to ride my bicycle 3 miles out to Mission to Hobby Haven in KC KS.  We lived in Rowland Park. I would drive the hobby shop owner crazy asking questions and looking all day at the kits until I finally settled on one to buy. Stick and tissue rubber powered planes were my thing back then.

I spent most of my early life in the garage building models and down hill cars. We lived in a new area and there were always new houses being built. I use to scavenge lumber from the scrap pile to build cars from. Similar to soap box derby racers but not near as classy. Rode my first Whizzer motor bike about that same time.

Those of us who were lucky enough to grow up in that era were the most blessed of any era before or since. We still had freedom to express our selves with our own interest. And at least my parents did not try to get me to do something I was not interested in. They let me follow my own dreams. Wonderful memories, but kind of sad the world has changed so much.
Jim Kraft

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 08:08:32 PM »
 I Worked in two hobby shops the first one was a camera and hobby shop in 1955 . Later when in high school i worked in a huge four floor place. They also had a separate building with a huge slot car track.
 Those were fun days as i was the manager of the place even though i worked part time. Some years later Leo offered the business to me as a working partner. Some how I let it pass.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here