News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:11:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hingeline taping?  (Read 3987 times)

Offline Rich Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Hingeline taping?
« on: November 05, 2016, 03:58:19 PM »
 What are the preferred materials used to seal/ tape off the hinge lines on your stunt ships?  I have a Twister with a few flights that I would like to seal up.  Problem is I cannot get the tape to stick.  After getting some fuel on it, I guess I will have to really clean it.  Alcohol was not enough.   

Thanks in advance for the ideas.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Hingeline taping?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 04:24:20 PM »
     Most hardware stores have a display of 3M plastic tape in lots of colors including clear. The clear comes in 3/4" and 1/2" wide rolls. I use the 1/2". Clean the surfaces really well with GooGone, lacquer thinner, lighter fluid, or whatever ittakes to get it clean, then finish off with mild soap and water or window cleaner. Put the tape on the bottom if the surface. Cut the tape in the lengths you need. Deflect the flap or elevator away from you, center the tape over the gap, and work it into the gap and work the edges down. Get it all flat and work it down. Takes a little practice but worth the offort.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »
and don't forget to round off those little 90 degrees points at teh tapes ends.

keeps the tape from lifting up in the long run.

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 04:53:30 PM »
Here I helped you out, I did a quick search on here and the first three results,, LOTS written here about taping hingelines, the hows, the whys and more

http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/taping-hing-lines/

http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/taping-hingelines/

http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/taping-hinge-lines/
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 05:28:08 PM »
Get some 3M Blenderm tape.  It's a medical tape but the electric foamy guys use it for hinges so you can find it at hobby shops.  It is very flexible and sticks better than about any tape I have found.  It comes in 1/2" and 1" wide rolls, I usually use the 1/2" for hinge line sealing.  PM me if you want to try it but can't find any.  George

Offline Pat Chewning

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 06:54:17 PM »
Yes to the Blenderm tape.   It is available in the hobby store re-packaged and sold as "Electric Plane Hinge Tape".   But I get it at the local pharmacy for much less.

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 07:53:09 PM »
Cool!  Thanks guys.   I will give it a try.

Online rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 07:41:30 AM »
Would Walgreens or CVS carry this product. What is it's medical use? Wound taping?

Thanks,

Rich

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 08:06:40 AM »
I have a Sig Banshee that has a good 3/16" flap gap (forgot the notch for the hinges lol). It flew bad so I taped the hinge line but it flew just the same, no difference. So I took all the tape off and converted it from electric to glow and reduced the flap ratio slightly. Now it flys great, go figure.

Now I just go for about a 5/64" gap with Dubro hinges and no tape, no worries.

MM

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 08:21:30 AM »
For a guy like me when I used the pin hinges, I would get the gap as close as I could.  I doubt taping would have helped me much.  Just ask the guys that have seen me fly. LL~ LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 09:39:15 AM »
Rich
I bought my last Blenderm through Amazon, I have never bought locally but I have never looked.  Box says it is Surgical Tape, not sure what that means but it sticks well even on planes that have many flights prior to applying.

George

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 01:49:47 PM »
   I'll have to find some Blenderm and try it, but the neat thing about the 3M tape is that it does stick well, and practically disappears when you lay it down, as long as your fingers are clean. I work in industrial maintenance and hate wearing gloves so my hands get good and greasy. It takes a couple days and several washings for my finger tips to get really clean where they won't leave a finger print on the tape!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 03:29:05 PM »
For a guy like me when I used the pin hinges, I would get the gap as close as I could.  I doubt taping would have helped me much.  Just ask the guys that have seen me fly. LL~ LL~ LL~

No matter how tight you make it, it's bigger than an air molecule. Moreover, the tighter you make the gap, the more critical it is to get it exactly right and exactly even throughout the travel.

Sealing the hinge lines is *absolutely critical*. There, now someone can try to start a "proof by authority" pissing contest about THAT, too.

Brett

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 04:08:15 PM »
When I first started flying, Brett, Ted and David took me under their wings and became my mentors.
Every time I showed up with a new plane, they would look it over and make suggestions.
The VERY first thing out of their mouths was "Tape the hinge lines". Like most, my thoughts were, My god, the flap gaps are  so small, what difference would it make?
When three of the best flyers in in the country give me advice or suggestions, I don't ask questions. I just do what they say.
If it were not for them I would never had made the expert ranks where I can now get my butt kicked at every contest.

And if I haven't said it before I'll say it now, Thank you Brett, Ted and Dave.
Along with my father, you guys have made this hobby so much fun for me. 

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 05:16:03 PM »
I have a Sig Banshee that has a good 3/16" flap gap (forgot the notch for the hinges lol). It flew bad so I taped the hinge line but it flew just the same, no difference. So I took all the tape off and converted it from electric to glow and reduced the flap ratio slightly. Now it flys great, go figure.

Now I just go for about a 5/64" gap with Dubro hinges and no tape, no worries.

MM

So you made two other major changes in the airplane, and then declare the tape useless? If you would have made one change at a time, like it is recommended, and reduced the flap travel first you would have seen a difference. A gap of 1/16" is enough to have an effect.
   One reason I tape my hinge lines as part of the trim process is full size aerobatic airplanes have their hinge lines sealed. I have also experienced and seen taping improve more models than I can count over 35 years of doing this. It's one of those things that I just do. A small thing by itself sometimes but small things add up.
   How do you "forget" to notch the control surface leading edges for the hinges?
    Type at you later,
      Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 05:29:28 PM »
Several types/brands of tape have been suggested here and in previous threads.  Apparently, these work for those who have written about them.

Some of the Golden Arms who started using taped hinge lines recommended Moores Crystal Clear.  (Also recommended in previous threads including one of the three above.)  It is/was available at art supply stores.  I still have a supply that will last me for a while, so have not checked on availability.  It is thin, more flexible as any other tape I have tried, is absolutely clear, and has a fairly low adhesive so that it does not pull finish/covering off when replacing it.

Keith

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 06:18:08 PM »
Several types/brands of tape have been suggested here and in previous threads.  Apparently, these work for those who have written about them.

Some of the Golden Arms who started using taped hinge lines recommended Moores Crystal Clear.  (Also recommended in previous threads including one of the three above.)  It is/was available at art supply stores.  I still have a supply that will last me for a while, so have not checked on availability.  It is thin, more flexible as any other tape I have tried, is absolutely clear, and has a fairly low adhesive so that it does not pull finish/covering off when replacing it.

Keith

It is still available:

http://www.misterart.com/adhesives/tape/transparent-tape/moore-crystal-clear-tape.html

This is the kind Ted got originally. I have used that, but you can get this at any drugstore, and it's very similar:

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-MultiTask-Tape-650-Inches/dp/B00004Z481/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1478480896&sr=1-1&keywords=scotch+multi-task+tape

In both cases, the key feature is that it is slightly stretchy and very tough, and when you go to remove it, the adhesive comes off with the tape. Fascal, Trim Monokote, etc, will work OK, but it will leave a God-awful mess of adhesive when you pull it off. Both are very thin compared to the Blenderm tape and offer very little additional control drag when applied properly. Scotch or other "Magic Transparent Tape" will crack in a few cycles, if you can even manage to get it on.

Brett
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 09:42:02 AM by Brett Buck »

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 08:43:28 AM »

When I flew RC, taping the aileron gaps increased roll rate considerably. It just makes sense to do the same on these planes. Less control input/control surface deflection equates to a smoother flying airplane.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 09:26:00 AM »
When I flew RC, taping the aileron gaps increased roll rate considerably. It just makes sense to do the same on these planes. Less control input/control surface deflection equates to a smoother flying airplane.

Bill,

I flew R/C and never taped anything, except when I painted.  #^ LL~

Sure, I knew some guys that taped their ailerons, good for them. Fast roll rates can be adjusted by horn length, but fast roll rates may not be important depending on how any given pilot sets his model up. There's no roll rate in CL.  ;D

Robert/Sparky, once said he taped his gaps. He also said he didn't like the way the model flew and would never tape gaps again.

I'm lucky, The niche I'm in requires no thought about taping gaps.  LL~ LL~
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 09:56:22 AM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 10:58:27 AM »
every airplane in my hanger control line or RC has all  the control surfaces taped,
benefits, consistant control response versus input
less control deflection = less drag ( pylon racing and pattern)

drawbacks,,
takes a little bit of time
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 11:05:39 AM »
I flew R/C and needed ore glue than tape! LL~

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 08:22:36 AM »
Rich
I bought my last Blenderm through Amazon, I have never bought locally but I have never looked.  Box says it is Surgical Tape, not sure what that means but it sticks well even on planes that have many flights prior to applying.

George

I bought BlenDerm here for $0.71/roll, 30 yards each. Less then $10 for 5 rolls shipped:

https://www.medicalmega.com/medical/3m-healthcare/15250.html?gclid=CPblman_oNACFYRKXgodZCUFbA
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here