News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:30:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hinge slots  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Hinge slots
« on: February 12, 2018, 12:04:18 AM »
This idea possibly has been covered before but its new to me.

I was getting ready to do the hinge slotting on a 3/16” stab and elevator and thought that rather than digging out my old v-notcher and hook knife I would try my oscillating saw.

I used a scrap ply spacer to centre the blade on the surfaces and plunged the tool. It took less than a second and I had a perfect slot and hinge fit.

The tool I used is a Ridgid cordless with a Dremel wood cutting saw blade. There are many brands of tool both cordless and corded that would work the same.

To taylor the width to one’s needs would simply involve grinding or sanding a blade to the appropriate width. An additional plus is that these blades have depth measurements printed on them for plunging.

If a thicker cut is needed one could add another spacer and make a second cut.

If this method has been previously posted I apologize as I was unable to find it.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: Hinge slots
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 11:06:53 AM »
I use a Dremel cut-off wheel mounted in drill press.  That keeps slots perfectly level.  Of course, this must be done before assembly.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 06:13:30 PM »

The tool I used is a Ridgid cordless with a Dremel wood cutting saw blade. There are many brands of tool both cordless and corded that would work the same.

Photos please?  :)
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 09:50:42 PM »
I’ll post photos in a couple of days when I have time to get back in my workshop.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 03:19:05 PM »
This idea possibly has been covered before but its new to me.

I was getting ready to do the hinge slotting on a 3/16” stab and elevator and thought that rather than digging out my old v-notcher and hook knife I would try my oscillating saw.

I used a scrap ply spacer to centre the blade on the surfaces and plunged the tool. It took less than a second and I had a perfect slot and hinge fit.

To taylor the width to one’s needs would simply involve grinding or sanding a blade to the appropriate width. An additional plus is that these blades have depth measurements printed on them for plunging.

If a thicker cut is needed one could add another spacer and make a second cut.

If this method has been previously posted I apologize as I was unable to find it.

Great idea.  I didn't click on this topic for awhile because I thought I knew how to make hinge slots.  You have a better way.  Thanks.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Rick_Huff

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 04:31:57 PM »
My brother, Tom, clued me into this method.  He even sent me an oscillating Dremel tool.  I cut some beautiful slots with it that fit the hinges perfectly.  A couple of days later I was going to glue them in, but the hinges were a very (too) snug fit.  I'm guessing that the tool "mushed" some of the balsa around the slot, which later relaxed.  It was easy to open up the hinge slot with a fingernail emory to perfectly fit the hinge, so I still like the method.  I don't know if this is typical with using an oscillating cutter, but it's something to  be aware of.

Rick

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 05:49:49 PM »
Photos?
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 11:23:46 PM »
As mentioned in my previous post I’ll include some pics in a day or two when I can get into my shop.

In response to the slots seemingly snugging up, try blasting them with a shot of compressed air to clean out any residue from the cutting process.

I have found a perfect fit for the Dubro hinges I used.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 11:45:02 PM »
Sounds great.
I also like Floyd's method, that should also work very well indeed.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 08:30:04 PM »

As promised, here's a video showing my hinge slotting method.
Hopefully, this will be of benefit to some of my fellow modellers.

Offline ron young

• 2014 Supporters
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 05:39:10 AM »
  Thanks for sharing
Ron

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 08:57:48 AM »
Robert,

Nice video. Really nice.

Do you have a tight photo of one finished hinge?

CB
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 09:13:36 AM »
Thanks Aviojet.
That is actually the first video that I have ever done.

Also my compliments to you for all the sharing that you and so many others do for all of us on the forum.

I’ve been away from the hobby for forty years and greatly appreciate the availability of this venue and all of Sparky’s efforts to help retreads like me.

I’ll get some detailed stills posted sometime this evening

Cheers

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 03:02:31 PM »
Robert,

I was so busy watching you work, I just noticed that fine framed Flite Streak?

Looks like it's framed and covered nicely.

Plans for it as far as paint?

Charles

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 06:25:10 PM »
Charles,

That’s actually a rebuild of one of my old beaters from the mid 1970’s.
All that’s really left of the original is the wing minus the tips and flaps.
It really was my mule and flew with many engines including the .36x that’s going back on it to a ST.46.
It was always nose heavy because I had lightened the back end too much so on the resurrection I left the fuse 1/2” to the tail and made the empennage 3/16”.
The nose had the 1/2” cheek cowl from day one and put up with the Fox vibrations very well so I did that again.

The undercarriage was raked back originally and worked very well so I reinstalled it the same.

The tank is a cut down Perfect to 3 1/2 ounces to fit the available space.

The original covering was Super Coverite and I hope the doctor table and dope covering will be adequately durable.

I’m planning on on a classic Flite Streak paint scheme using black, Bahama  blue and Pontiac red colours since I have these left over from full size aircraft that I used to have.

A weak area was always the fin so I mortised it into the fuselage about 1/2” in an attempt to add some more strength to it.

Also added are adjustable lead outs and tip weight box.

I am simultaneously redoing a Baby Flite Streak with a Black Widow.

I’ll try to remember to post pics on a build post.

I’ll do the requested hinge pics in the next few hours.

Cheers

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 09:28:09 PM »
As promised, Charles, here's some pics. Note that these are not glued in, nor will the detailing be done until priming.

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 09:28:44 PM »
And one more pic.

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 10:18:26 PM »
Per the last thread on this topic, I'll still vote for laminating the TE of whatever and the matching LE of the flapper with the notches already installed. Use 1/32" core, and use the Utah trick hinge installation trick...strip of silkspan folded over the hinge tab and two drops of thin CA glue to install each hinge. John Miller first wrote about this method, and said he used a door frame to push the hinge halves in equally...clever. John also credited Gordan Delaney with inventing the method. It's the Bee's Knees.

Most guys around here remove the hinge pins and use a single 1/32" music wire pin per flap or elevator. Also dunk the hinge knuckles in molten Vaseline to keep the CA out. D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here