News:

• May 06, 2024, 09:24:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Here's something to think about. Some opinions please!!  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Here's something to think about. Some opinions please!!
« on: March 30, 2009, 09:01:22 AM »

As many of you know, I have accumulated quite a few engines in the past - well over 1000.
When I lived in PA, I actually had a museum in one room of my house - virtually all the engines on display.
There were engines from all over the world - over 165 different brands and well over 100 that had no markings and were therefore unidentifiable.

BUT????????????????????????????? To what end? At one point, I realized that the collection was just for me and even though quite interesting, it was not shared.

This accumulation represented a substantial history of model aviation and I was the only one really enjoying it. More people deserved to see it.

In late 2008, I made a decision. After setting aside all the engines I planned to use for my CL flying, I began packing the rest for transport to Carmichaels.
I decided to donate all the engines to the future Brodak museum. They are now safely in storage awaiting the (museum) construction.

Maybe my rationale does not make sense to all but I really believe that we should do everything possible to educate people about our sport.
Hopefully, this will do a small part in accomplishing that goal.

A museum is, after all, a place to preserve as well as advance our knowledge.

I know that the construction has been delayed to to circumstances beyond our control but it will happen.

If all goes as planned, we will have one impressive collection of model aircraft history on display. Besides mine and John's, many people have offered to donate or loan engines - there is no reason why we should have at least 2000 on display - hopefully more!

Of course, there will be more. Possibly as many as 1000 kits on display, many from the late 40s.

And, as much memorabilia as we can accumulate. We plan on 5000 square feet.

So,  does what I'm doing make sense ???????????????????????????????????

Bob Z.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Here's something to think about. Some opinions please!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 09:09:32 AM »
Les McDonald sent me all his FAI uniforms to disperse as I see fit. I think that one set should go here so everyone can enjoy the history. So no your not crazy.
AMA 12366

Offline Ed Keller

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 10:00:29 AM »
Most of the time, it takes the efforts of an individual with some vision, to get anything done that is outstanding, or worthy and of value, etc. Here in Birmingham, we have the worlds largest and most unique motorcycle museum, all housed in a beautiful bldg, all financed by a private individual. In addition, there is a world class racing track and landscaped grounds. It is, of course, located outside of the city limits to avoid any meddling & interference by the local city keystone cops. Every time our local AACA car club brings in visitors from out of state, they are stunned by the size & scope of this facility, so yes, anytime there is a chance to build anything of this nature, I believe it is worth the effort.  Ed

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 10:23:34 AM »
Bob, what you are doing makes perfect sense. I have enjoyed seeing those engines that you asked for help identifying. I'm sure MANY of us who appreciate engines (and kits) will enjoy seeing them for real instead of just a picture or advertisement.

George

George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 11:10:58 AM »
Bob,
I am thrilled Mr. Storick will provide one of my old FAI uniforms to the museum.
This is exactly why I donated them in the first place.
One of the big draws with our event is the honor and respect given to it's history.
I am honored to be just a small piece of the past and have always felt I have never returned much.
By sprinlking my old stunt DNA around the country I'm assuring my place in this history.
Once again, Thank You

Les McDonald
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 03:18:16 PM »
Most of the time, it takes the efforts of an individual with some vision, to get anything done that is outstanding, or worthy and of value, etc. Here in Birmingham, we have the worlds largest and most unique motorcycle museum, all housed in a beautiful bldg, all financed by a private individual. In addition, there is a world class racing track and landscaped grounds. It is, of course, located outside of the city limits to avoid any meddling & interference by the local city keystone cops. Every time our local AACA car club brings in visitors from out of state, they are stunned by the size & scope of this facility, so yes, anytime there is a chance to build anything of this nature, I believe it is worth the effort.  Ed

As a motorcycle racing aficinando I can truly attest to the vision Mr Barber has brought to the area. Many of my friends visit frequently and I hope to in the very near future. That is a real "Magic Kingdom".

Les McDonald
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 03:25:15 PM »
I agree. I have mostly resisted the urge to collect. When I have an engine that is sitting in the drawer and I don't see my self using it, I usually sell it. I would rather see someone using it than have it collect dust.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 03:25:31 PM »
Bob, I hope you and John can complete what you have started.  I do not collect as such even tho I do have an engine that if the boys dad were alive he would confirm it.  I know visiting the AMA museum in Muncie and seeing the small replica hobby shop brings back memories of Charlies Hobby Shop back in KCK.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday

PS:And no you or John neither one are crazy for doing this.  jeh
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 05:06:36 PM »
Bob,

If you enjoy something then you should do it. So long as it is legal! Crazy whats that? We are all nuts one way or another. But this is what being human and an American is all about. We are all free to do what we enjoy. So go for it. Git er done as they say in your neck of the woods.

Chuck
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 06:20:35 PM »
Bob,

At least they will end up on display.

When Bill Melton tried to donate his engine collection to the AMA Museum, it was refused..

And Bill had an outstanding collection; he wasn't too happy with the AMA over that.

L.

"To find fault is easy; to do better may be difficult." -Plutarch
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 03:59:19 PM »
Hey Larry - I has a similar incident with the ama museum.

An old fellow who lived near me had a huge accumulation of models from the 40s and 50s. I figured the best place for them was the ama museum.

I wrote them a letter offering the equipment. Never got an answer.
I sent an e-mail - never got an answer.
I telephoned and was told that I would be contacted - you guessed it - never returned my call.

Now I know that some bozo is going to defend their actions, telling me how busy they are in Muncie and that they simply have no time to be polite enough to return a call - bulls***. NOBODY is so busy that they cannot simply type an e-mail response like "Thank you, not interested" instead of ignoring potential benefactors.

Behavior like that is RUDE - period.

In retrospect, I'm glad that they did not accept it - now it all goes to Brodak.

Bob Z.

Offline Ed Burkot

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 10:52:21 AM »
Robert:  Are you a member of the Zambelli fireworks family in New Castle?  I grew up in NC, though I live in Florida now.  Just curious!

Ed

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 12:09:52 PM »
Hi, Ed - nope, no relation at all.  :'( :'( :'(

Bob Z.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here