General control line discussion > Open Forum

Help with positioning WWII wing insignia

(1/3) > >>

Rusty:
Hello,   I am not sure how to position the wing insignia on the P51B Mustang I am building.  I have studied what photos are available and cannot exactly figure it out.  The idea I am thinking may be best is to have the edges 90 degrees to the side of the fuselage and invasion strips.  However, the edges could be centered by the width of the wing, too. 

If you have done this before, please help.  Thanks

PS: These are Cali graphics, Berlin Express.

Dick Byron:
That looks great.

Motorman:
I have put on decals square to edges, measure with rulers ect. and they don't look right. It an optical illusion or something. What I found that works is to forget all that and put the decal on and position it so it looks good by just using your eyes. Works every time.

MM 8) 

wwwarbird:
 This goes for almost all WWII and prior U.S. insignia placements, later swept wing aircraft will vary. Proper placement can make or break the appearance of your model, it's worth giving time and attention to these details. y1

For the wing insignias, simply use an "imaginary" straight line wingtip to wingtip as a primary alignment reference point, that line being 90 degrees in relation to the fuselage center line. Determine where you want the insignia placed front to rear, (ignoring the angles of the L/E and T/E) and then align the insignia exactly parallel to the imaginary wingtip to wingtip reference line. Top of left wing and bottom of right wing is correct for placement. ALWAYS have the top point of the star pointing to the FRONT of the aircraft, don't be that guy that puts them upside down!  HB~>

For the fuselage insignias, use another "imaginary" straight line down the design center line of the fuselage. This is usually the same as the engine thrust line. Determine the desired front/rear/height location for the insignia and place it exactly parallel to the determined imaginary centerline. ALWAYS have the top point of the star pointing to the TOP of the fuselage. And remember, don't be that guy!  :)

Google three view searches can be your friend for placement referencing on specific aircraft designs.  y1

Air Ministry .:
https://toflyandfight.com/p-51c-profile-berlin-express/

will no doubt be a few plastic scale build threads . I.P.M.S. & suchlike . plus 3 views .

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55545
==========================================================

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version