News:

• April 25, 2024, 08:26:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help Loading Pictures to the Forum  (Read 902 times)

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Help Loading Pictures to the Forum
« on: August 19, 2018, 06:57:51 PM »
I've tried multiple times loading pictures (I have some from the Paducah contest) but when I click on "Post" I always get "error" and it says my file is too large or something like that.  I've tried posting just one picture and I still get "error."  I took the pictures with an ipad, so I imagine there are pretty high resolution.  It seems others are able to load high resolution pictures, what do I need to do to load pictures?

Thanks,

Joe Ed Pederson

Cuba, MO

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Help Loading Pictures to the Forum
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 07:04:20 PM »
You have to resize them if the files are too big. 1000KB is the max per picture. I usually format mine around 900, and I only put up 3 pics per post. Any more than that and I get an error as well.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 07:07:20 PM »
You took them on an Ipad so I know there is a free image resizing app for Apple products. I use "Resizer" for my Iphone 7plus. Works great.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 07:21:59 PM »
Thanks Mike.  I was successful in resizing the picture ( I also changed the color and brightness to enhance the image with the software that came with my laptop)  I was then able to post the picture to the thread entitled "Pictures from Paducah).

Joe Ed

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 11:05:02 AM »
Resizing and compressing are both required. A lot of folks resize a picture until it is so small that when clicked on, it only enlarges a little bit, and is therefore hopeless. Resizing below 500 pixels wide is bad...don't do that! Resizing to around 650 to 1,000 pixels wide is good.

First thing I do is give the image a title, so I know what it is. "Model.jpg" is of no help, so put some details into the title. Something like: "ImpAct Howard Rush Poland Plane.jpg" would be good! If you need to rotate the image, that should come second. If you can reduce the size by cropping, do that third. Then, fourth, resize to that 500-1,000 pixels width. Lastly, you need to compress the file and save it as a jpeg. Jpeg or ".jpg" is the most efficient file type that I know of...much better than .png, from my experience. 

All this is easily done using IrfanView software. IrfanView is a "freeware", meaning that you can download it for FREE. You still need to figure out how to work it. It will do a lot of stuff that we're not interested in, but I have done one picture in 15 seconds to around 100kb, which is always my target. If it comes in at 150kb, I might just go with that. If you think this is too difficult, SSW only allows a 50kb max, and that can be a challenge if the picture is not taken with any thought toward file size (grass foreground sux!).

If you download IrfanView, be sure to get the correct one for your computer type (PC or Apple). The place to get it safely is "TuCows"....maybe spelled wrong. I don't know anything about tablets and such, so you're on your own there. If you are having problems figuring it out (on a PC), I'll help, but just a few clicks and reading the dropdown menus should get you going.

Remember to use a logical sequence: Name, crop, resize, compress...and "save as" after each step. From the "crop" sequence onward, I add a "%" to the end of the name (before the .jpg) so I can figure out which version is which. If the latest version is crap, delete it and go back to the last version. I like to put all pictures "in process" into a "Test Pictures" folder on my desktop, so I can quickly find them. When you finish reworking a picture, move it to your "CL Pics" folder or whatever. If you want to save the original, you can save them in a folder just for them, but I seldom do that.  D>K  Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 10:45:10 AM »
Steve and Mike,

Thanks for the help.  I've copied and pasted your answers so I won't lose your answers.

Joe Ed Pederson

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here