News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:17:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help identify MVVS 2.5cc Glow Engine  (Read 1203 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Help identify MVVS 2.5cc Glow Engine
« on: May 15, 2022, 03:29:05 PM »
      Hello:

I recently purchased  MVVS engine that I need some information before I run it.

This engine looks like my D7 Diesel.  It is front intake and rear exhaust.  The exhaust sub is not machined and has a small projection on the top middle.  It has two ball bearings and no anodizing.

Any help as to what I may have?  My D7 Diesel is a real sweetheart of an engine and since this engine is a glow twin, I thought that it too should be a good engine.  I could not find any information on the web re this engine thus my questions here.

Tia,

Frank

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
Re: Help identify MVVS 2.5cc Glow Engine
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 05:45:45 PM »
Frank

does it look like the one in the link below?

Carl

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124099324641?hash=item1ce4e56ae1:g:wDAAAOSw1jJeV~bI

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 07:27:07 PM »
Round Exhaust'd be a G-7 .

TIMING . the ' normal ' ports in the sleeve would open almost simultaeneously .

PIPE - Timed , The exhaust'd be way higher than the bypass . Did they do a ' PIPE ' G-7 . ?

Incidently , the glow & diesel liner are the same . Theres a short 3/16 in. contra piston in the diesel . Seems to work .

MVVS Diesel was a bit quicker than the ( then current ) Oliver . Said to vary though . Drilling piston for gudgeon lube was a std. mod .
as was checking for metal filings before running . TRS & D& componentry was intercahangeable .

You had to lettem REV . 18.000 airborne . 7 x 4 or 6 x 6 on the glow . thereabouts . 7 x 6 or 8 x 4 taipan cut to 7 in. on the diseasel .

http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/MVVS%20TR-S%20and%20D7.html

Ones wot look like this are late model ( 1990s on ? ) maybe ABC . Parts might interchange back to the TRG ? .Ex'll go L, R , or rear . Ifit aint binrun .

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 08:45:42 PM »
     Hello Air:

I do not think that it is a D7.  I will post a few differences:

The cylinder head is smooth sans fins.

On the right of the engine there is a large M cast in the case.  There is no bulge on the case.

The area where the front bearing is installed is as cast without any machining.

The cooling fins extend past the case in the rear and are squared off at a right angle to the bore.

The crankshaft extends more to the front and the prop is secured via a hex nut in lieu of a screw.

The back plate is black plastic.

The left side of the case has MVVS 2.5 cast into into it.

The number 558 is stamped under the left lug.

The right lug has the letter L stamped on the underside.

Tomorrow, I will pull the backplate and look for trash.  I will also remove the head and determine if this engine has been run.  I will also try to see if this engine has an ABC p&c prior to running.

I guess that it is time for me to learn how to post pictures. Lol

Stay well,

Frank

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 08:22:50 PM »
Hi Frank-

Looks like a later version of the 1974 DR.
If they built a front valve version that likely would be for combat.  A rear exhaust would indicate a racing or speed version.  The rear valve can handle more air with less drag on the crankshaft.  But, the smallest engine they currently seem to have is a 0.30 RC engine.

There is a website in England that lists a TON of engines with dimension, mostly with engine tests.
phil Cartier

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 08:01:43 AM »
     Hello:

There is an engine on EBay that looks identical to the engine in question.  It is listed as  MVVS .15 GR Combat engine.  Perhaps this info may dredge up a few comments re this engine.

Stay well,

Frank

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 08:35:20 AM »
These are not super high quality like you would find in a Rossi ect. If it has the plastic back plate beware of cracks as it is very fragile. The motor mount holes are oddball to every other racing 15 I've owned. It's not powerful (even with mods) but not streetable enough for a stunt engine. Bolt on cylinder makes it heavy. I will say this, it didn't cost much. Basically, a sport flying engine. Might win you average speed award in a Perky contest.

Motorman 8)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 11:17:51 AM »
     Hello:

I took a look at the engine in question and made the following observations:

The head is a two piece with a button.  I wonder if I can convert it to Diesel by using D7 parts.

It is a some type ABC setup with a chrome plated brass sleeve with a non ferrous piston.

The case is one piece that can not be rotated.

This engine has been run as it has a light stain on the top of piston indicating that exhaust was being removed.

This engine may find a home on a  large Goldberg Shoestring, Shark 15 or a full sized Flite Streak.  Wish me luck. Lol

Whether it is a great engine, Rossi, I do not care.   The price was right and I consider MVVS a good brand.  I enjoy an engine that is easy to start and runs well for a sport engine.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 12:42:30 PM »
if the D7 parts fits the bore size and the bolt pattern and bolt length are good then all you have to consider is the compression ratio range. I would think the parts should work if the 2 versions were made in the same time period.

Motorman 8)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 11:21:35 AM »
         Hey Motorman et al:

Just think of the possibility, an ABC D7 Diesel if the parts interchange!  May be fun to own.

Frank

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 11:05:20 PM »
Id think it would be D A N G E R O U S  to fit a D7 Contra to a ABC Liner !

Some pylon types expand the bore with Nitro & RPM or whatever . And have to de expand / shrink back to normal . AS YOU KNOW .

The correct type ' DIESEL " head for the ABC would likely be like a ROSSI , or THIS ,

Where the HEAD goes done right the way , shimmed . With the CONTRA in the HEAD . So the bores un stressed there !
As the D& Contras real short , it could derange the chrome even , and stretch the brass liner . DO NOT DO IT .

Likely a Rossi head would bolt on , if you hve one .

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2022, 01:23:37 PM »
Glow engines run well on diesel fuel, if that is of any help!  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2022, 02:51:31 PM »
     Hi Steve:

If indeed glow engines work well on Diesel fuel, that would make my fuel supply a lot easier to maintain.  One cold Winter day, I got the bright idea of priming the engine with Diesel fuel.  I will never forget the next flip of the prop!

Frank

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here