News:

• April 18, 2024, 01:12:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Have You Ever Attended NW Regionals????  (Read 817 times)

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Have You Ever Attended NW Regionals????
« on: May 15, 2023, 09:19:58 PM »
Hello All!

Functioning as the unofficial Northwest Control Line Regionals historian, I am on a quest to complete a roster of everybody who has ever entered this contest since its start in 1972.  Being a newsletter collector junkie (and editor), I have plenty of documentation.  However, some years the documentation has been missing or has been minimal.  Some old Stunt News issues that were kindly loaned to me helped to fill in some of the blanks.  However, complete lists of every contestant from each year are lacking thru some of the contest history.  If you have ever entered, but never placed then there is a chance your name is missing.  If you might think this could be you, please PM me with your name and year (if known) and I will do a quick check on the roster.  By the way, the list is approaching 600 individuals! Realistically, this roster will never be 100%, but hoping for 99%!

Thanks!    Mike Hazel

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Have You Ever Attended NW Regionals????
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 11:36:51 PM »
I went once. Rained like hell, couldn’t get an engine to run, seemed I forgot how to fly, and it was my birthday. Not my best contest.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 08:59:17 AM »
Hi Clint,

Got your name already, thanks for checking in.  Too bad you picked one of the wet years!     Mike

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 04:19:55 PM »
Wayn Trivan ,Dave Halas and i removed a little GOLD from the west coast to the east coast
rad racer

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 05:08:22 PM »
Wayn Trivan ,Dave Halas and i removed a little GOLD from the west coast to the east coast

Yup!  Got all of you listed, thanks for coming! 

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 08:12:14 PM »
When I first heard about the contest i was living in Los Angeles, so that means a 12 hour drive or - day and half.

I first attended in 93 or 94 (not sure) and the last one I attended was in 2001. Now that I live in St Louis that is too far to drive

But I will say the long drive to get there from LA was worth it and it is one of the best contests I have been to. I spotted a person wearing a NW regionals T-shirt at a St Louis swap meet that was a few years old last month. I still have the T-shirts from those days. There were other contests that were closer but given a choice I always made it a priority to make to the NW Regionals over other contests held in the Arizona and California area.

I would attend if I didn't live so far from Oregon.

Grant Hiestand, Steve Davis and Merle Mohring from LA also attended with us on several trips.

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 05:31:06 PM »
Hi Fred,

Thanks for checking in and the kind words.  Yeh, we are long ways for you.  A stop at Buder Park is on my bucket list, perhaps this will be done on a trip to Muncie someday.

Mike

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2023, 08:30:06 AM »
I was there as a competitor for the first time last year.  Won sport scale!

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2023, 11:23:56 AM »
I think my first Regionals was in 1985 or 1986.
In those days I thought the most impressive Fast Combat planes were Norm McFadden's and Howard Rush's.
Before the Cookie Cutter era of Russian RTF / Nelson .36 planes I thought the sport was more interesting.
More difficult [of course]....but for a newcomer like me  I enjoyed the "learning curve" that came with the DIY  aspect of taking part in Fast Combat.
BTW..in all the years I attended the Regionals I never saw or was aware of  anyone who  ACED the Balloon Bust event....[?]

Offline johnt4051

• Commander
    • Flying Lines
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2023, 12:12:31 PM »
Forcast for the Regionals this year (May 26-27-28) is almost perfect contest weather.  Highs in the 70s, cloud cover to keep the sun out of your eyes, rain unlikely.

Advance entry deadline is past but onsite entries are accepted.  Load up the car and head for Roseburg!
John Thompson
Flying Lines

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2023, 02:16:03 PM »
Forcast for the Regionals this year (May 26-27-28) is almost perfect contest weather.  Highs in the 70s, cloud cover to keep the sun out of your eyes, rain unlikely.

Advance entry deadline is past but onsite entries are accepted.  Load up the car and head for Roseburg!

Robin and I will be there.  I'm not sure if I'll have any planes, but I'll be schlepping around.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2023, 07:39:30 AM »
I think I was there twice maybe once . Entered beginner class. Probably last place but had great time.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2023, 08:40:35 AM »
Hi Gordon,

Yes, you have entered before.  Thanks for coming. 

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2023, 02:04:15 PM »
My first visit to the NW Regionals was in '91. My last was when I won Advanced, 200?. I'd sure like to attend again. Maybe next year.

John Miller
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2023, 03:42:10 PM »
Hope to see you next year John!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here