News:

• May 28, 2024, 05:38:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PAMPA General Meeting brief synopsis  (Read 1179 times)

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
PAMPA General Meeting brief synopsis
« on: July 18, 2019, 05:52:08 PM »
Last night PAMPA held their annual meeting here at the Nats.  I know not everyone here is a member (why not?) but quite a few are , were, want to be  or aren't sure right now.  This is a quick way to touch upon the main points and also reach out for your help to get our data base up to date.  We know our master roster has VERY MANY out of date /bad account email addresses and other info which has greatly hindered get timely renewals and other things to many.  On this issue I will ask that you check your info on the PAMPA website.  If that doesn't work then I ask you to wait a week or two and I will provide a new email to simply up date this info or check you're status if you aren't sure.  NEW members or renewals for expired members can now or at any time go to the website to join/re-join.  More on this shortly.
In the past few weeks the Executive Counsel has approved two important measures:
1.  Due to the financial balance sheet and cost projections it has been necessary to end the printed version of Stunt News.  There should be issue #2 in your mailbox any day.  Then #3 has already been mostly created (and paid for in terms of creation costs) so it will be completed and go out.  I have asked Chris to stop production of the printed paper issues at that point.
2. The Counsel approved a new web-only dues structure for EVERYONE domestic AND foreign members of $40.00 per year.  You're own personal renewal date will then be 365 days from the day you join/renew and there will be no more single, mass renewal date or time of year.  The new website has this enhancement added which will make our workload so much less and the system will automatically prompt you to renew as your time approaches.  We will no longer need to prepare and mail/email renewals.

WHY did we end the newsletter (formerly known as 'magazine')?
   1. We are not a publishing company.  We are a Non Profit US corporation.  Almost everything PAMPA has done and almost all of it's budget has been about printing a magazine and little else.  That wasn't a point on the original charter.
   2.  We simply can no longer afford to print 'magazines'.  Here are some numbers:
        It was known as long as three years ago we were losing money.  At that time the member dues were $58.00.  The cost to provide six issues of the magazine to a member was calculated at $66.00.  That included no other PAMPA expenses or projects.   More currently the copy was reduced, the dues were reduced and the membership declined (largely due to the roster problems) and then of course the revenue;

January 1st to July 1st revenue from dues and other sources was $14,281.84.  This will be most all the income received this fiscal year.
    January 1st to July 1st expenses including related to the magazine, Nats, fees,  rents and supplies were $18,257.72....for 1/2 the year with another half year of expenses yet to come.

In the past year PAMPA received a gift from the passing of Roger Widman in the amount of $41,000.  As of this week or next, other than this sum from Roger,  I will need to write checks exhausting the rest of the cash assets in PAMPA accounts.  This will mean we are running now entirely on those funds from Roger.  If we go on without stopping the print we will burn through that balance by early next year to year and a half and PAMPA would be mostly defunct.  This is why we are taking the action we did.

NOW IN A POSITIVE LIGHT!

We are coming fully into the digital age.  The website in the near future will not be issue-based.  Things will be added/updated every few days with a lot of full color content.  ALL past Stunt News-back to 1973 (over 50 years) will be fully on the website library for paid members to access at any time they wish.  Not sure anyone will live long enough to read it all!  You will find bullet points on the opening page from which you will select to go right to the topic of choice.  Chris plans to upload at least two full feature articles each month. We will expand our international coverage and grow our membership outside the US with the same dues structure and total access as all domestic members.

You may join now at any time on the website using PayPal.  We know there are those members who paid an extra amount for the printed version of the newsletter.  We offer our sincere apologies we have to end that mid-year.  Our ByLaws do state that publications are subject to financial resources.  Even so at the time of your renewal a stipend of some sort will be offered.  The EC will be working on this and other issues.

We want PAMPA to get back to it's roots- to promote and support our sport in many ways from the local to the national.

Thank You!

Dave Trible
PAMPA President
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: PAMPA General Meeting brief synopsis
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 08:01:06 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for the PAMPA meeting update,, good way to keep membership informed and  up to date.  And a good call on the Stunt News online move .. I have always enjoyed the color online version ..
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 08:43:56 PM »
I couldn't support this move more.  I joined PAMPA a few years after it was formed and I was impressed with how much energy we put into improving the sport.   When I came back to flying in '17 I was really shocked how little PAMPA was doing but they sure had a nice magazine.  I am glad that the focus will now be on the digital world and all it has to offer us.

Just one man's opinion - Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 12:53:06 AM »
I think this "New Plan" is a very sensible routine and should make PAMPA a more viable organization for the Stunt Family.

Great idea and a good plan.  I'm so in favor that I'll actually Re-Up now.

Thanks for the sensibility and what sounds like good management practices.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 11:12:14 AM »
As soon as there was a digital Stunt News that is what I started signing up for.  At first I could down load to a disc but, when I updated the windows program that all stopped.  Glad it is still in the PAMPA program and think you guys did the right move.   I know some will not like the move but, with a lap top it is still like having the printed version in your lap with color photos.   Now to make sure I have renewed for this year or extend it some. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Gene Martine

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
  • Started flying 1952 (AMA 2903)
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 02:30:34 PM »
 Great work Dave & the EC. Keep it up. I know there are times it feels like your beating your head against the wall but, in the end it seems to work it's
 way out.
 Gene
  y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 03:11:14 PM »
I support the move to contain costs and use the website for keeping the members informed. Once the house is in order will there be a revision to the annual dues without the magazine cost?

Best,   DennisT

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 03:35:03 PM »
Dennis the $40.00 IS the final dues cost for everyone on a web-only format.  Chris I believe already turned off any print member option.  Hope that answered the question?  The print membership this last go around was $53.00.  The web-only was $28.00.  Yes that one is going up a little but the web upgrades will cost a little more with a MUCH GREATER value we believe.  I was also pretty insistent I wasn't looking for the lowest possible price.  We need to try to rebuild the treasury some and have to get off the financial tightrope.  I had used the analogy of this cost to a tank of gas, taking the wife to dinner or a day at the golf course.  It's just not that much in this day and age.  Heck I spent $70 on two gallons of fuel just before I came here.  We would still like to keep up our support for the Nats and FAI programs and have regular expenses like a tax accountant and supplies.  We are looking at resurrecting a PAMPA one page hand out that members can acquire to give to anyone they run into who show interest in our sport. These things just require some resources.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 05:03:23 PM »
As soon as there was a digital Stunt News that is what I started signing up for.  At first I could down load to a disc but, when I updated the windows program that all stopped.  Glad it is still in the PAMPA program and think you guys did the right move.   I know some will not like the move but, with a lap top it is still like having the printed version in your lap with color photos.   Now to make sure I have renewed for this year or extend it some. H^^
It is just a little clumsy with the laptop in the restroom. LL~ LL~ LL~
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 09:02:23 AM »
Depends on how the bathroom/restroom is laid out and there are folding trays.  My problem is the family decides they need the bathroom/restroom before I can get past the first three articles. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 09:45:06 AM »

Not sure anyone will live long enough to read it all! 

Sounds like a challenge, Dave!

I'm probably one of the few that would prefer this format, combined with the archiving of all previous issues.  Gone will be the days of "hey who has a copy of the **month/year** issue of SN?" "Which issue has this article in it?"  Its all at one's fingertips.  A digital format is also easier to transport, read at work, and so on.    Sure, there is a level enjoyment with the tactile satisfaction of a paper magazine, particularly to those with more "rings around their trunk" than mine.  I can also sense a collective groan from those who collect magazines (one in particular jumps to mind).  But all things considered, survival is most imperative. 

My only question would be, with the elimination of the periodical, would the articles posted to the website somehow be archived?

Thanks Dave!

Cheers,
Sean

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 12:36:23 PM »
Thanks! Great work, Dave!

I share Sean's concern as to archiving and retrieving valuable items.  I am confident that an effective and pleasant way will be found.

I don't use PayPal. What would be an alternative? PayPal didn't work, as far as I could tell, to route dues payments from my credit card to PAMPA.

I happened to be at Oshkosh, then, and prefer to stay PAMPA as long as possible...

\BEST\LOU

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 08:50:12 PM »
  Sounds like a challenge, Dave!

I'm probably one of the few that would prefer this format, combined with the archiving of all previous issues.  Gone will be the days of "hey who has a copy of the **month/year** issue of SN?" "Which issue has this article in it?"  Its all at one's fingertips.  A digital format is also easier to transport, read at work, and so on.    Sure, there is a level enjoyment with the tactile satisfaction of a paper magazine, particularly to those with more "rings around their trunk" than mine.  I can also sense a collective groan from those who collect magazines (one in particular jumps to mind).  But all things considered, survival is most imperative. 

My only question would be, with the elimination of the periodical, would the articles posted to the website somehow be archived?

Thanks Dave!

Cheers,
Sean

Sean I am not sure...If you give us a few days to get home and our feet on the ground I'd bet Chris will read this and answer.  If not I shall ask.

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 09:04:36 PM »
Thanks! Great work, Dave!

I share Sean's concern as to archiving and retrieving valuable items.  I am confident that an effective and pleasant way will be found.

I don't use PayPal. What would be an alternative? PayPal didn't work, as far as I could tell, to route dues payments from my credit card to PAMPA.

I happened to be at Oshkosh, then, and prefer to stay PAMPA as long as possible...
Hi Lou!  I think the website will only do PayPal at present.   Do I understand that you tried PayPal and had a problem?  If thats the case we need to let Chris know.  Actually the PayPal account has not been transferred to the new bank yet (waiting till I got home to receive the funds) so funds put there are sitting until I'm ready to receive those.  That could be giving PayPal hiccups.... I suppose the alternative would be to send me a check or money order.  I could then enter you on the roster but I will then need to let Chris know so he can get you set up properly on the website manually.  I already have one like that to do for a gentleman who came forward at the meeting with cash in hand.  He may have a better solution...we will work on it.  I have no way at present to take credit or debit cards for payment.  OR ( a note to anyone), get yourself on PayPal.  It's mostly painless and I've trusted it for a good while.  It's about the only way to do business on Ebay and is pretty handy for other things.  Since I am also acting Secretary/Treasurer you can sent a check to me,  made out to PAMPA Inc.  My mailbox does not say PAMPA on it so the address would be:

David Trible
9509 Melrose Apt. 3
Overland Park,KS 66214

Thanks Lou!!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 09:23:47 PM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here