News:

• May 26, 2024, 02:49:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SIG Banshee Engine Suggestion  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Colin McRae

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
SIG Banshee Engine Suggestion
« on: September 17, 2022, 08:48:02 AM »
Was hoping some flyers might help me with an alternate engine recommendation for my SIG Banshee.

I acquired the Banshee from a guy (I did not build it). The engine mount holes fit an OS 40FP so I just used one I had not knowing any better. But now after flying it a bit I have realized that the 40FP is just too much engine for the model.

I have the following alternate engines (all are stock and new):

OS 25LA
Enya 29 (5224)
OS s30

I was wondering if any flyers have experience with these particular engines in a Banshee, and if one is preferred over the others. And what prop is best for the particular engine?

Thx in advance.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: SIG Banshee Engine Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 09:34:06 AM »
Take time to sit down and do a search on the SIG Banshee.  All kinds of info on this forum. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 09:35:13 AM »
Too much power??? Is that even a thang??? 🤣🤣🤣

I’m just kidding.

IMHO keep the 40 on it and tame it down a bit.
Try a Different prop, venturi.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2022, 10:21:52 AM »
I have been running an 11-4 prop on the 40FP. And have been running it a bit rich to slow it down. But then it breaks when in a stunt. I would rather it not 4-2-4 and have a more consistent engine run throughout the flight.

Was thinking to try an 11-3 prop on the 40FP, then I can lean it out so it does not break.

Any experience w/ an 11-3 prop on a 40FP for the Banshee? Or maybe a 10-4 prop?

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 10:52:18 AM »
I would suggest swapping the venturi. Give Jim Lee a call he can tell you exactly what Venturi you need to get your FP singing the tune you want. 😎
Or do a search in the engine setup section. Tons of info on FP40.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 10:59:10 AM »
I would suggest swapping the venturi. Give Jim Lee a call he can tell you exactly what Venturi you need to get your FP singing the tune you want. 😎
Or do a search in the engine setup section. Tons of info on FP40.

Thanks

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2022, 11:31:21 AM »
Colin, before you change anything, whittle a piece of wood to block off half of the venturi, and wedge it between the spray bar and the wall of the venturi.  Front or back side makes no difference.  It will give you an idea of what a smaller venturi will do, it will improve your fuel draw, and it's cheap.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2022, 11:40:01 AM »
I had a similar setup: Sig Banshee with an r/c OS 40 FSR/ABC.  All I did was lock the throttle to wide open then mounted a wood 9 x 6 prop.  i had a ball with it but I finally gave it (minus the engine) to one of the guys I fly with back when the "Earth" and been really tough on his stash of planes!!  ;D

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2022, 03:19:01 PM »
I think rather than waste a lot of flying time trying to de-tune an engine I’d put the Enya or OS on it and go have fun flying...

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Kafin Noe’man

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2022, 06:27:32 PM »
One thing to observe before deciding the new engine is to see if the nose has been cut or not.
The Banshee is designed for FOX 35 which weighs around 6.5 oz, and I think OS LA 25 is the closest one to the FOX 35 in terms of weight with 6.9 oz.

That being said, I tried to put an OS LA 25 on my Banshee and the CG was sport on from the beginning without doing any fuselage modification (didn’t cut the nose at all) and no need for additional nose/tail weight.

It flies perfect with 10x6 prop when there’s no wind.
I should’ve tried putting 10x4 props as other members have suggested as well.
INA 1630
I fly: P40, XEBEC, and Cardinal

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2022, 06:44:55 PM »
Whoever built the model did move the engine mount back about 1" and used an OS 40FP. There is still some tail weight needed to balance.

But back to my original question, would the Enya 29 (5224) or OS S-30 work well for the Banshee? I bought these engines NIB, but don't have any experience with them. For the Banshee, would one be preferred over the other power wise? (What I have read on the OS 25LA is that it might be a bit under-powered for the Banshee.)

Offline Kafin Noe’man

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2022, 07:17:07 PM »
I don’t have any experience with the OS-S 30 nor ENYA 29 (5224), but I do have experience with the ENYA SS30. It has good power for the Banshee
INA 1630
I fly: P40, XEBEC, and Cardinal

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2022, 09:38:48 PM »
Was hoping some flyers might help me with an alternate engine recommendation for my SIG Banshee.

I acquired the Banshee from a guy (I did not build it). The engine mount holes fit an OS 40FP so I just used one I had not knowing any better. But now after flying it a bit I have realized that the 40FP is just too much engine for the model.

I have the following alternate engines (all are stock and new):

OS 25LA
Enya 29 (5224)
OS s30

I was wondering if any flyers have experience with these particular engines in a Banshee, and if one is preferred over the others. And what prop is best for the particular engine?

Thx in advance.

You did not mention what you are using for a prop?? An FP.40 can be made to work quite well without any major complication. Just see if you can tell what size venturi is in it. It should be around a .250 or a fizz smaller with a OS needle valve.  Round up some 11-4 and 10-4 props and with 60 foot lines, start testing. The FP-40 may make it a tad nose heavy but will still have the grunt to pull any extra tail weight you may have to put on it. Use a tongue muffler to help with the nose weight condition. You may be surprised at how well it will work for you.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2022, 08:20:10 AM »
The venturi is the stock one for or the OS 40FP that came w/ the engine. And flying on 60' lines. The model is a bit nose heavy, but I do have a 1 oz weight at the tail to compensate for CG. The original builder did have the same 40FP on the model and moved the engine back 1". (1.5" or 2" would have been better I guess to eliminate the needed tail weight)

I have been running an 11-4 MAS prop. I do have other props:

10-4
10-5
10-6
11-3

I will experiment w/ different props first before trying to use a different engine. My goal is to be able to lean out a bit, so it does not 4-2-4 break without the model flying too fast. The 10-4 may do that. But easy to experiment.

One other thing. The OS s-30 has the same mounting bolt pattern as the 40FP. So easy to try out without cutting into the model.

Thx
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 09:45:58 AM by Colin McRae »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2022, 03:59:18 PM »
The venturi is the stock one for or the OS 40FP that came w/ the engine. And flying on 60' lines. The model is a bit nose heavy, but I do have a 1 oz weight at the tail to compensate for CG. The original builder did have the same 40FP on the model and moved the engine back 1". (1.5" or 2" would have been better I guess to eliminate the needed tail weight)

I have been running an 11-4 MAS prop. I do have other props:

10-4
10-5
10-6
11-3

I will experiment w/ different props first before trying to use a different engine. My goal is to be able to lean out a bit, so it does not 4-2-4 break without the model flying too fast. The 10-4 may do that. But easy to experiment.

One other thing. The OS s-30 has the same mounting bolt pattern as the 40FP. So easy to try out without cutting into the model.

Thx

Try 11-4 APC. Also APC makes a 11.5-4 that is worth a try. The OS MAX-S .30 is just a smaller bore .35 and runs in a more traditional mode. !0-5 and 1o-6 props on that one. If you can find to buy or borrow to try the Thunder Tiger 11-4.5 is another good option.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here