News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:47:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: GSCB Vintage Combat festival 9-22-19  (Read 8587 times)

Offline Andre Ming

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: GSCB Vintage Combat festival 9-22-19
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2019, 12:45:49 PM »
Maybe Andre knows the history on why Duke put the web on the exhaust port.

If you'll look at the original case configuration from the first "front loader" 35 Combat Special, the 35X, and 36X, up to the advent of the exhaust web, they were all the same: Almost NO case support for right at half of circumference of the case. That's nearly HALF the top of the case with no support. As nitro kept going upward, and guys got better and better at extracting power from the 36X, some failed as depicted.

Thus, around 1970, the web was placed in the exhaust port and that ended that.

While I'm at it: Took Duke a while to figure out that the exhaust was under far more pressure than the incoming bypass AND the exhaust was looking for the first hole to escape from and would exhaust quickly. When this dawned on him, the priorities sort of flipped: Instead of the exhaust being the larger of the ports, the bypass(es) was emphasized, and the bypass(es) got more opening area and the exhaust area reduced. This is more pronounced on later designs that used flow porting bypass systems. (i.e. Non piston-baffled porting.)

The above is strictly as I recall it and that recall feature is fading by the year.  ;D

Andre

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Online Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2019, 02:58:50 PM »
The Sweet Sweep looks great, Bob. It's pointy and electric. Kind of like my favorite guitars as of late.

I regret I won't see it's debut this Sunday. Good luck with it (not that you'll really need it!). My own loud, gas-guzzling Nemesis II will have to wait until 2020, it seems.

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2019, 05:57:09 PM »
Sorry to hear you cant make it, Mike.

Andre, thank you for the insight on the progression of the X. Your memory seems good to me. Love your contributions, Ive learned  alot!

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2019, 10:09:14 PM »
Okay... as I was in there brushing my teeth and prepping for bed... a memory file reconnected:

As I NOW recall it, the web was not installed to address case failures that a handful of engines had experienced, but as a side benefit, it did end up addressing it.

I now think I recall that web was added for a drill point for the exhaust flap for the new 36X R/C engine that was based on a modified 36X case. I'll need to wait until tomorrow sometime before I get out to my hobby room where my engines and parts are stored and verify my recollection, but I also now recall there as a radius added at the base of the square intake so the cases destined to become an R/C version could be bored to receive a carburetor w/round venturi. I highly suspect that on a C/L 36X you will NOT find a web exhaust without also seeing evidences of the radius at the very base of the venturi stack. (It's presence was not completely machined off for a C/L 36X.) IF that proves to be so, then my memory jog is likely the correct and real reason: It was added so as to give the ability to convert a C/L 36X into the 36X R/C model.

I also now recall that when I first hired out at Fox in early August of 1970, the 36X R/C was nearing, or on, the assembly line and I was honing pistons and sleeves for that model, as well as for the 35 Stunt.

Since I'm on a memory roll: A fellow modeler-turned-Fox-employee by the name of Chester Avis was the engine run-in man at the time, and once the 36X R/C's started passing through the engine run-in shed, carb issues were noted and the production numbers were very low. (Like maybe 30-50 engines a day, which was a far cry from the 300 or so 35 Stunts we could get through the run-in shed on a good day.) George Moir (the supervisor of assembly at the time) was tasked with finding the reason(s) and also finding a fix (or fixes) to minimize the issue.

SO, the above is the revised version of my memory for the reason for the web in the exhaust, with a time-frame reference for its inclusion, and anecdotes to boot. 

Leastways, that's my (new) story an' I'm a'stickin' to it. 

LL~

Andre

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2019, 05:38:12 AM »
Andre, That makes sense. I used the x/rc in profile carrier for a few years successfully. I got the motor and the 'Black Power' fuel from LS. The exhaust baffle also encouraged me to try it on a BB. Using the baffle and a fuel meter I could get a decent idle and pretty good speed on a Dumas Crusader used in local events. Of course once I put a K&B .40 on there the BB went back to combat ships!
  Getting back to the subject. Looking forward to Sundays Festival at GSCB.  Got a couple of unflown ships that need wringing out!   Cheers, TS

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2019, 08:28:27 AM »
Looks right to me!
AMA 13001

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2019, 09:02:24 AM »
Thanks Tom!

You saved me from having to tromp out to my out building (it's raining) and digging through my stuff!

Amazing that R/C carb is STILL epoxied onto the the engine in that last photo! An epoxied carb wasn't one of Duke's finer moments. When the epoxy failed, typically the carb swung into to the arc of the spinning propeller. Not good.

A follow up:

Though the carb on the 36X R/C was really a pretty decent carb (when everything was "right") it was finicky about production standards. As I recall it had idle, mid, and high speed adjustment needles. A good example, dialed in nicely, would idle very slow and the response to full speed would be instant. In my mind I can still hear Chester running those out in the engine shed... prrrrrrrr.. BRAPPP.... prrrrrr... BRAPP... BRAPP. Yup, I can still hear evidences of my years at Fox 24/7 in my ears: Riiiiinnnnnnnnngggggggggg.

Duke decided to throw in the towel on the 36X R/C and designed an entirely new sleeve bearing case and two-needle simpler carb. This carb was held in place with set screws. The case, back plate, and head were much lighter than the X model. All the innards were essentially 36X. Unfortunately, this new case was fraught with issues, and it was this line of 36 engines that I cut my teeth on when first given the Assembly department, but that's another story told before.

NOTE to X fanatics: The reuse of the 36X innards in a 36 R/C means that if you can pick up a nice example of the 36 R/C that replaced the X R/C, you just picked up an entire replacement parts set for the piston, sleeve, crank, wrist pin, connecting rod, head gasket, for your favorite 36X NB case. Also, I think I recall the 36 series back plate had less slop (case stuffer) so it's usable on an X and provides marginal case-stuffing gains compared to the stock X back plate.

This is NOT the case (pun!) on the Fox 36 C/L "Sport" engine: The case, thus crank, was shorter, so the crank will NOT fit a 36X NB.

Over the decades, for my nostalgia combat models, the 36X NB became my preferred engine on account of the crank issue vs a BB version. At the time I theorized that by using NB versions I could keep them alive longer on account of complete innards interchangeability with the 36 R/C. In actuality that proved to be over-thinking (I tend to do that) because I never flew my models enough to even START to wear out the innards!

Oddly, I've super enjoyed recalling, typing out, and sharing these past few posts.

All fer now.

Andre

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2019, 07:48:03 PM »
That engine, what I always called a "front loader", is well before my time at Fox, so I will have to differ to one more versed in that era.

However, I can always make up something, and it will probably sound good... but won't be very factual.   ~>

Andre
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 08:08:32 AM by Andre Ming »

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2019, 06:16:14 AM »
The basic case for the 'front loader' was an evolution of the original CS  and 29x from 1957.  Some of the later models had the 4 lugs on the front which, eventually, were used to hold on the nb housing of the FL or what I call the 1961CS.  I am hoping to fly mine this Sunday in the LS  Killer.  Hope not to toss the shaft!!   TS

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2019, 07:16:58 AM »
Well guys,
  I couldnt be more happy with the way this turned out. CG looks to be good. I also can shorten the nose in the field with a quick cut if it doesnt turn like we want. Tomorrow  it will go thru some thorough testing!

Everybody needs to fly it and then sign it!

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2019, 08:10:24 AM »
Y'all have a ton of fun!

Sharon and I will be leaving in the morn headed west, so I'll try to keep up with this thread via her laptop while on the road.

Andre Mingliani
(With you all in spirit)

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2019, 07:19:54 PM »
Hey All,
  Another outstanding Vintage day! As usual the day just flew by.

Some quick results now and we'll get to some details as everyone recovers.

Two really impressive items were the performance of Will Demauro and Bob Hunts electric ships and Al Ferraro's speed run!

Bob's sweet sweep looks really cool in the air and performs really well.

Al decided to go early with his Super Satan and just sent us home with our tails between our legs. Al's time was a blistering 13.95 at 129mph!

Fox 36xbb
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2019, 07:25:59 PM »
In golf you have the honor of putting the green jacket on the winner. I dwarfed that honor with presenting Jim Vigani with the LS Blown Fox award.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 05:28:29 AM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2019, 07:30:11 PM »
I was able to retain the speed stunt award (my wife calls it the "piston cup") with a 1:22:25. As I go thru the times I'll post top 5 in speed and stunt flights. All for now I'm beat!
AMA 13001

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2019, 07:33:10 AM »
What a great day! One of the most enjoyable days of my life.

Congrats to Tom and Al for their respective wins in Speed Stunt and Top Speed. Thanks to them also for organizing this affair. I hope it goes on for many years. If you have never attended one of these Vintage Combat Festivals, I encourage you to do so next year; you will have a ball!

The weather was perfect, the fellowship was perfect, and the flying was pretty darn good too!

My thanks also go out to Will DeMauro, who helped me get the motor/battery/ESC, and timer installation right in the very tight nose of the Sweet Sweep. Thanks too to Keith Ferguson, who helped out with the pit duties for the day.

Additional thanks go out to the Garden State Circle Burners club for their gracious hosting of the event.

What can I say, this was about as enjoyable a day as I can remember...

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2019, 08:03:07 AM »
If only it wasn't so far or I wasn't so old.  Love the faired in Sweet Sweep.   Makes mine look like a pig. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2019, 11:00:45 AM »

Again what a awesome day! We had 21 participants. Not all participated in our events. There were numerous sport flights and some fast matches with modern equipment on the back circle. I myself was plagued (1 complete flight all day)with bad engine runs and a blown head gasket on my Johnson CS powered Hatchet. more on our trials and tribulations on future posts...……

Here are all the  scoreable flights;

LS Speed Challenge

1. Al Ferraro  Super Satan 36xBB                    13.95

2. Roy Glenn  Super Satan 36x BB LS1              15.35

3. Tom Schaefer Voodoo 36x BB                      15.84

4. Tom Schaefer WOW  Fox Rocket  40              17.8

5. Jim Vigani  Lancer  Fox 36X NB                    18.65

6. Tom Schaefer  Killer  61 Fox CS                     18.90

7. Tom Schaefer Up N AT'M  1957 Fox CS           19.27       

8. Larry Wilks  VooDoo  Super Tigte G21-.35       20.1

9. Bob Hunt Sweet Sweep  Power 10*                 20.52

10. Jim Vigani  ABLE  Fox .36x NB                      20.6       

Speed Stunt     

1. Tom Luciano Super Satan                               1:22.25

2. Dan Banjock     SpeedLimit*                           1:33.65

3. Jim Vigani      Double Diamond                        1:37.21

4. Tom Schaefer  UP N AT'M                                1:41.27

5.  Al Ferraro  Super Swoop                               1:42.06     

6.  Bob Hunt Sweet Sweep                                  1:43.60

7. Tom Schaefer  Killer                                        1:43.65

8. Sean Cook         Thor                                     2:14.74

A good percentage of the guys had multiple flights on the same airplane. I'm only posting their best.

Tom

AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2019, 06:18:23 PM »
Al's winning flight

AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2019, 06:47:09 PM »
Roy Glenn with the Super Satan at 117mph

AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2019, 06:48:43 PM »
Bob Hunt with the electric Sweet Sweep

AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2019, 09:08:23 AM »
l's live stream  from the event

AMA 13001

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2019, 10:46:46 AM »

Again what a awesome day! We had 21 participants. Not all participated in our events. There were numerous sport flights and some fast matches with modern equipment on the back circle. I myself was plagued (1 complete flight all day)with bad engine runs and a blown head gasket on my Johnson CS powered Hatchet. more on our trials and tribulations on future posts...……

Here are all the  scoreable flights;

LS Speed Challenge

1. Al Ferraro  Super Satan 36xBB                    13.95

2. Roy Glenn  Super Satan 36x BB LS1              15.35

3. Tom Schaefer Voodoo 36x BB                      15.84

4. Tom Schaefer WOW  Fox Rocket  40              17.8

5. Jim Vigani  Lancer  Fox 36X NB                    18.65

6. Tom Schaefer  Killer  61 Fox CS                     18.90

7. Tom Schaefer Up N AT'M  1957 Fox CS           19.27       

8. Larry Wilks  VooDoo  Super Tigte G21-.35       20.1

9. Bob Hunt Sweet Sweep  Power 10*                 20.52

10. Jim Vigani  ABLE  Fox .36x NB                      20.6       

Speed Stunt     

1. Tom Luciano Super Satan                               1:22.25

2. Dan Banjock     SpeedLimit*                           1:33.65

3. Jim Vigani      Double Diamond                        1:37.21

4. Tom Schaefer  UP N AT'M                                1:41.27

5.  Al Ferraro  Super Swoop                               1:42.06     

6.  Bob Hunt Sweet Sweep                                  1:43.60

7. Tom Schaefer  Killer                                        1:43.65

8. Sean Cook         Thor                                     2:14.74

A good percentage of the guys had multiple flights on the same airplane. I'm only posting their best.

Tom

I know that Sean had a new engine and wasn't going to push it

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2019, 05:42:03 PM »
Well done, all.

Thanks for the pics and the videos.

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2019, 06:35:54 PM »

I know that Sean had a new engine and wasn't going to push it

Yes, Sean's flight was more of a cruise and more methodical pattern. He wanted the watch on. The Thor looked great!
AMA 13001

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2019, 06:58:42 PM »
              Tom, we both had a great time. Unfortunately due to the ride, we had to leave earlier than we wanted to. Dennis, I can't thank you enough for your generosity for providing that engine and kit. Walter's kits are just over the top and just owning them is monumental for myself.  This comes once a year and as much as I would've liked to do much more, both of us had a great day out as Bob Hunt  also experienced. The temp was pleasurable and the day was just too short. Even though the plane was a bit tip low, it flew above my expectations.  This  kit demonstrates simplicity, it's very rewarding to go from a box of sheets and sticks to flying. Even watching the video, it just makes one smile. Ken

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2019, 05:05:35 AM »
Ken,
 So glad you guys made it out with your busy schedules. When I arrived and didn't see your car , I was worried you couldn't make it! The event wouldn't be the same without you guys. My recollections are you been there every year since the first. I plan on working out the kinks on the LA 25 VooDoo in the year to come and will definitely have a bunch ready for combat next year. They go together pretty fast now that i got all the parts figured out.
 your fast match with Shawn was great to watch! Glad you guys convinced Banjock to come, he's hooked on speed stunt. I think I heard him say he has a nemesis kit and will be practicing  for next year!

Check out this awesome picture of you launching Larry's VooDoo. This will make the highlight reel!

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2019, 05:57:38 AM »
Tom, Thanks for picking up the ball and putting even more fun into an already great happening!  I had a blast (Oooo) flying as many of my planes as possible.  Not all of them met expectations but the ones that did were memorable!   It will keep me thinking of a new secret weapon all winter ;D   TS

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2019, 09:00:01 AM »
Al throwing his hat in the ring in speed stunt!  Now you're talking!

AMA 13001

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2019, 11:33:21 AM »
Al, best hourglass you ever did.  Awesome!!!!!!
Jim Vigani

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2019, 09:13:04 AM »
Wow!

Great coverage! Love the photos and videos!

21 participants? That's GREAT!

Looks like the GSCB Combat Festival is on the upswing again!

Wife and I just returned from a trip to the Rocky Mountains. During the trip, imagine my surprise, as Sharon and I talked about the GSCB Combat Festival... Sharon made the comment that she would love to go again and this time spend the day at the field watching the magnificent East Coast Crazies flying their magnificent flying machines! Of course, if we seriously entertain this idea, a group supper would HAVE to be part of the deal!

Hmmm.....

y1

Andre

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2019, 11:17:33 AM »
MM,
Rules are above in the thread.

Best,
Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2019, 11:19:41 AM »
Andre,
Love to see you make another trip out .

Theres some chatter on FB control line flying group too.

Best Tom

AMA 13001

Online Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2019, 01:13:55 PM »
I did a careful analysis of the speed of the winner, using the excellent video.  I mean that I even checked the angle of the lines from the horizon, used a stopwatch, etc.  Got exactly the same speed.  Breaking 14 seconds is an accomplishment.  I think the best I ever went was 14.2, back in the day.

This suggests that folks interested in this event could submit their entries via video.  Sort of an online version of the contest.

Putting an old combat ship back in the air might be a fun project.  Need to order some bladder tubing from Phil Cartier, as I know he has a lot of it.

Peter

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2019, 04:16:05 PM »
MM,
  have at it with any prop you want. Engine and plane have to be of proper vintage. Speed runs have been done with .015 stranded. As discussed last year they meet the speed requirements to at least 130mph with a combat plane of the era. If anybody wants to take a look just look at last years thread. Now if Al cracks 130, we'll talk. I beleive my calculations came in at 28 lbs at 130..

Just an FYI for anyone who might want to debate line requirements.  Please don't in this thread. You're  welcome to open your own. This is a very enjoyable event and thread and I would appreciate  no negativity.

Thanks,
Tom

Motorman get that "Rock" ready for next year thats what this is about. Al is already working on his design from when he was 14 years old for next year!

Peter,
  Thats really cool that you were able to verify Al's run. He made that run in the first 30 minutes of the event! Completly deflated me for even trying!  I told Al he cant go until the end of the day so i feel like i have a chance! Lol

We'll talk in Lorton this weekend

Tom
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 06:58:36 PM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2019, 04:34:45 PM »
     I think it's horrible you guys are mocking and destroying Fox motors, they're really good, I never had any problem with them.

Brett

Not as long as they are being used to Hurl

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2019, 06:30:38 AM »
Winning Stunt flight. I didn't tighten the collet on the needle valve and it gradually went richer as the flight progressed.  Oh well, there is room for improvement. I have a funny feeling 1:22 will be shattered next year!

AMA 13001

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2019, 03:28:10 PM »
Thanks to all posters, this thread has given me more pleasure than I've had a a long while!  Takes me back to my 36XBB days and my Bully that looked mostly like a Voo-Doo.
There is NO WAY I could even fly one of these level any more!! H^^
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2019, 04:52:26 PM »
Winning Stunt flight. I didn't tighten the collet on the needle valve and it gradually went richer as the flight progressed.  Oh well, there is room for improvement. I have a funny feeling 1:22 will be shattered next year!

Tom:
Good chance it'll be you.
I think you lost between 1 1/2 and 2 seconds, at a minimum, from it going rich 2/3 way through.
Frank

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2019, 05:49:45 PM »
  Thanks Tom for the great videos and the effort you put into this event that people all over the world are enjoying. The facebook live video has over 1300 views and climbing. Your Stunt Speed run was awesome!!! I was also happy to provide entertainment for everyone with my Stunt Speed run using the Super Swoop. When I went inverted the Super Swoop got ahead of me and I lost it in the sun. I was lucky to catch up with it and bring it back upright, but had to go back inverted to complete the loops. The Super Swoop really was going a lot faster than I wanted for that event, but there's no turning back once its set free. I also wanted to note that I scrambled my glow plug on the Super Satan speed run :-[  For next years event I'm remaking my SLASHER it's my combat model that I designed and flew in contests when I was 14.
 Now for the bad news. I know you said not to post anything negative on this thread, BUT I heard there is a protest for the Blow Fox engine award. Rumor has it that an electric motor should have won that award and it will be stripped from Jim V on bases of equality and political correctness. Now mind you this is all hearsay, but I heard the speaker of the house is going to make a statement about it in the near future.
Al

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2019, 10:48:25 AM »
Hi Al:

Congrats on your amazing Speed event win. It was truly awesome.

Thanks for offering to embrace the outlaw electric contingent by shifting the blown engine/motor award from Jim Vigani to my friend, Will DeMauro. Very nice gesture, but one that is misplaced a bit. You see, Will did not "blow" a motor that day; he "fried" an ESC. Will did fry a motor on the Wednesday before the Festival, but that also doesn't count. So, Jim can rest assured that his well-earned win in the blown engine category (what a distinction...) is secure.

Ozonely yours, Bob Hunt

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2019, 11:12:23 AM »
Rest assured that I am NOT the one protesting, Jim earned his blown motor award fair and square. If someone is secretly protesting on my behalf, they need to drop the protest and accept the fact that Jim won. When I blow a motor it will be in the air at some insane speed and NOT due to a crash. I'm in the process of regrouping and planning ahead to next year. I'm looking at planes motors and props in an effort to make a good showing next year. The goal is to be extremely competitive.
AMA 98010

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2019, 01:21:40 PM »
You mean electric whizzy-majig thingies???

Say it ain't so, oh SAY it ain't so!

LL~

Okay, Fox Faithful's... sounds to me like the gauntlet has been thrown to the ground! Get out your Dremels, index wheels... et al... and create a fire breathing X engine!! 

As the intrepid Officer Fife would say: "We gotta' nip this thing in the bud!"

S?P

Andre

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2019, 05:49:51 PM »
You mean electric whizzy-majig thingies???

Say it ain't so, oh SAY it ain't so!
Andre
Andre,
    They are here and not going anywhere, yes it is so!!!!!  I am working on coming up with a competitive set up that will hold its own. I have some ideas and I'm on the right path. Whats more important is that this event continue to grow regardless of what is used to spin that prop! It's just a fun day. Hopefully you can make it next year and I'll finally get to meet you. I'll even let you try my "electric whizzy-majig thingies" if it give you some extra incentive to make the trip.
Will
AMA 98010

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2019, 06:12:20 PM »
 Since  a Whistle blower filed a complaint, Mr. Ferraro's statement, and Mr. Hunts clarification…..

The following statement has been released

After hours and hours of deliberation..... The executive committee had to also go to the archives to produce proof to back up their findings.

VCF1.01-36x: There was a blown Fox in a practice session in preparation of the event back in 2015. This incident set a precedent as the Blown Fox award  was presented by LS "Hisself" to an unidentified recipient at the VCF 2015.  With these findings, practice sessions prior to the event are deemed "active" for the award.  Not to show bias to any particular MFG. the blown Fox award will be now open to any engine competing in the event including practice sessions. This may also prompt a non "mfg" biased award. This is on the docket and still up for vote in the Dec. meeting.

After the "whistle blower" complaint and the release of article VCF1.01-36x the following has been amended to the bylaws;

VCF1.01-ELC.  Any "electric drivetrain component" such as, but not limited to, Motors, ESC, Batteries, Timers, Wires, and Switches are eligible for the newly deemend "Let the smoke out" award. please see article VCF1.01-36x for eligibility criteria.

It appears that reigning advanced national stunt champion Will DeMauro smoked a motor in a practice session in preparation of VCF 2019. In doing so, retroactive immediately Will Demauro has earned the “Up in Smoke” award at the VCF 2019.
Also, in discovery photos, the 2015 recipient has been identified in  picture 1A. Shown in 1B the evidence of destruction.
There will be a press release on the findings following Mr. Vigani's 36x's teardown.

Keeping things tidy

Blown Fox Award
2013 Al Ferraro
2014 Al Ferraro
2015 Tom Luciano
2016 Tom Luciano
2017 Tom Luciano
2018 Tom Luciano
2019 Jim Vigani

Let the Smoke Out  Award
2019 Will DeMauro
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:37:42 AM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2019, 06:47:50 PM »
Just an add on. The VCF calendar  is Oct. 1st to Sept. 30 the following year. So, beware of the company you keep. There is a whistleblower in/at every circle!

So let the practice sessions begin.
Good luck
Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »
I love the bark of this 1957 Fox Combat Special! It has that Fox .59 sound. Tom S on a Speed Stunt run.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 08:53:42 PM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2019, 05:54:05 AM »
Due to a mishap Will D with his backup Flight Streak.

AMA 13001

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2019, 06:11:53 AM »
Since  a Whistle blower filed a complaint, Mr. Ferraro's statement, and Mr. Hunts clarification…..

The following statement has been released

After hours and hours of deliberation..... The executive committee had to also go to the archives to produce proof to back up their findings.

VCF1.01-36x: There was a blown Fox in a practice session in preparation of the event back in 2015. This incident set a precedent as the Blown Fox award  was presented by LS "Hisself" to an unidentified recipient at the VCF 2015.  With these findings, practice sessions prior to the event are deemed "active" for the award.  Not to show bias to any particular MFG. the blown Fox award will be now open to any engine competing in the event including practice sessions. This may also prompt a non "mfg" biased award. This is on the docket and still up for vote in the Dec. meeting.

After the "whistle blower" complaint and the release of article VCF1.01-36x the following has been amended to the bylaws;

VCF1.01-ELC.  Any "electric drivetrain component" such as, but not limited to, Motors, ESC, Batteries, Timers, Wires, and Switches are eligible for the newly deemend "Let the smoke out" award. please see article VCF1.01-36x for eligibility criteria.

It appears that reigning advanced national stunt champion Will DeMauro smoked a motor in a practice session in preparation of VCF 2019. In doing so, retroactive immediately Will Demauro has earned the “Up in Smoke” award at the VCF 2019.
Also, in discovery photos, the 2015 recipient has been identified in  picture 1A. Shown in 1B the evidence of destruction.
There will be a press release on the findings following Mr. Vigani's 36x's teardown.

Keeping things tidy

Blown Fox Award
2013 Al Ferraro
2014 Al Ferraro
2015 Tom Luciano
2016 Tom Luciano
2017 Tom Luciano
2018 Tom Luciano
2019 Jim Vigani

Let the Smoke Out  Award
2019 Will DeMauro

Dear Mr. Luciano:

Your solution to this issue is both elegant and sportsmanlike. Just for the record, I will attest to the fact that Mr. DeMauro did indeed smoke a motor in practice the week before the Festival. The said smoke emitted from his motor during a practice run through of the Speed Stunt schedule. He made it all the way (?) to the triangles, and then in the ensuing lap the motor made a most unusual noise (any noise from an electric is unusual...), and a cloud of smoke that was approximately 5 feet high and 40 feet long was emitted. It was quite spectacular, and also quite humorous (hey, it wasn't MY motor...).

As a brief aside, we electric fliers pride ourselves on not having to drive home from the field smelling burnt caster oil residue that is on the model. Will later confided in me that the smell of the burnt motor was much worse! Still not a factor that will cause either of us to switch back to glow.

Perhaps there should be at least an honorable mention attached to Will's "Let the smoke out" award that chronicles the fact that he also fried an ESC at the actual Festival. Not sure which occurrence should actually get the award in the first place; the blown motor or the fried ESC. If the criteria was how much money was lost in each instance, then it would cost certainly be awarded for the fried ESC; it cost much more than the motor...

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and for your thoughtful solution. You are a credit to the glow fraternity.

Respectfully - Bob "Lost in the Ozone" Hunt

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2019, 07:02:20 AM »
Must not overlook that the Sweep was the collaboration of two designers, Lester Grogan and Ken Hale.

dg

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2019, 08:33:25 AM »
Just an add on. The VCF calendar  is Oct. 1st to Sept. 30 the following year.

So, VCF will be all year long?

Did you mean Sept 30- Oct 1, 2020?

Hm, me thinks it was a high level witticism that I'm wasn't smart enough to ascend thereto.  %^@

Andre

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here