News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:25:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Great flying site in Amarillo Texas  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Great flying site in Amarillo Texas
« on: July 12, 2012, 10:35:33 PM »
Guys,
I had some extra time today after finishing some business in Amarillo, Texas so I Googled "control line in Amarillo" and up came a flying site at "Thompson Park", north of Amarillo off route 287. It stays light out till almost 9pm this time of year and it was "stunt heaven" weather. So I had dinner and took a drive out there figuring someone had to be out.

Well, I found the site, great facility, one paved concrete donut circle and two grass circles all had cement center pads. Paved parking is close to the circles. Also have electric power plugs (would be great for electrics, but bring an extension cord as the plugs are on a pole about 6 ft up). Unfortunately, no one was flying. Don't know who is flying out here the main concrete circle didn't look like it has been used (no oil spots on the circle anyplace) for a while.

Guys this is a great site, maybe they all fly on the grass in the mornings. If you are in the Amarillo area check this site out.

Best,     DennisT

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Great flying site in Amarillo Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 04:12:20 AM »

y1  WOW!!!  That sure does bring back memories, I was stationed in Amarillo from Feb '61 through Nov '64.
 Went to Thompson park many times,but don't remember the flying site.
  Sure do have a LOT of gooood memories about all of Amarillo though.. y1
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Robert Redmon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 06:19:05 AM »
We have a similar (very civilized) site here in Wichita Falls (TX) that is similarly unused. When I first moved here 11 years ago, I tried to use the circles (which are in a city park directly across a street and parking lot from the RC field), but ran into so many problems with folks walking through the circle when I was flying or using the circle as a track for tricycles or walking through my lines between flights that I eventually gave up and sought other places to fly. I suspect this may be the case in other cities as well.

Bob
Robert Redmon
AMA 58073

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 11:26:53 AM »
Guys,
I had some extra time today after finishing some business in Amarillo, Texas so I Googled "control line in Amarillo" and up came a flying site at "Thompson Park", north of Amarillo off route 287.
Guys this is a great site, maybe they all fly on the grass in the mornings. If you are in the Amarillo area check this site out.

Best,     DennisT

I was instrumental in getting that park  back in 1956 and 57.  Then it was only a cement circle 60' in diameter out in a sand bed.  Through much negotations and pleading we got it gradually developed into a nice 75' donut with a 10' center, lights and power plus a good 10' chain link fence etc .  two 100'grass circles with 6'center cement spots and one 65' all garss circle.  That was back in the 60s and early 70s and the club there was some 50 people strong with about half of those being regular fliers.
  Today I know of only ONE regular flier there and two or three occasional fliers.

Dennis, If you go back there look up Gary Minor (he is lidted in the Phone book).  He is a really nice guy and an avid modeler.  (flies stunt I might add)

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Advertise Here
Tags: site 

Advertise Here