News:

• October 25, 2024, 04:45:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Goodbye letter to “Stunt Hangar Video Hangout.”  (Read 6165 times)

Offline Charles Carter

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Flying Control Line Stunt
Goodbye letter to “Stunt Hangar Video Hangout.”
« on: July 09, 2024, 11:40:17 PM »
First of all, I want to point out that Sparky and I have not had a falling out, disagreement, or argument. Sparky and I are still good friends.

I have really enjoyed hosting the show "Stunt Hangar Video Hangouts" for almost four years and I'd be lying if I didn't say I was proud of the show because people really enjoyed it. People in the zoom meeting, people in the chat box, and those watching the live stream, and those watching the video replay from what I've been told.

For those of you who have probably felt you've been getting spam emails from me for years, I promise you that I will not send you another email informing you... "You can join our Stunt Hangar Video Hangout" Zoom meeting that is in progress". I believe only six people from the emails ever came in, just in case you were wondering.

For those of you who don't know how, I got my chance to host the “Stunt Hangar Video Hangouts” almost 4 years ago. Sparky and I met at Brodak's in 2016. Sparky and I hit it off right away. I believe Sparky and I both left Brodak’s with a hint of appreciation for each other.

I met Rusty the host of the show back then and we became friends. We became very good friends via phone calls on my road travels to and from contests. Rusty confided in me that he had never known a black person that could put together an intelligent sentence before. I guess you could say I was kind of like a unicorn to Rusty. That's because of where he lived and where he came from. Rusty was planning on taking a vacation and had asked me to do the show in his absence. Of course I needed Sparky to give me the keys to his YouTube channel and Sparky agreed to let me do show. Days before Rusty died, we often talked on the phone and in our last communication Rusty told me “I love you Charles." The show following Rusty passing, I might have come across as detached and aloof. I just want you to know I was just trying to keep my composure, stay professional and keep it together. Well that’s how I became the host of “Stunt Hangar Video Hangouts”. I have been the host ever since Rusty went on vacation and passed away.

So why am I leaving the show? First of all, I want to state that I have lots of friends who financially support the show and that I appreciate them very much!

I have shared with Sparky on many occasions my frustration of my show not being self-sufficient to make enough money through Youtube memberships, “SuperChats”, and “SuperThanks”, so that Sparky would not have to pay me out of his own pocket. I always take pride in whatever I do and I strive to do my very best so this was very hard for me to deal with.

I did two shows a week, that is 104 shows a year and I did this for almost 4 years. That is approximately 416 shows.  I am leaving the show so that I can devote more time and energy toward being the best control line stunt pilot I can be.

I hope the show continues with a new host and I hope the next host takes it to an even higher level than I did.

I hope to see people at the World Championships. I will get there Thursday August 15th leaving Saturday August 17th. I will also be attending the Palmer Memorial & the Knights "Joust" on September 14th and 15th in South El Monte, CA. I will also be attending the Golden State Stunt Championships here in California later this year. I will not be attending the Las Vegas Stunt Challenge like I did the last couple years.

Fair winds and tight lines,

Charles Carter

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Goodbye letter to “Stunt Hangar Video Hangout.”
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 06:44:15 AM »
Sorry to see you go Charles. You did a very respectable and professional show. It was always on way past my bed time but I did watch the replays. 👍🏼
Who ever picks up the next episodes will have some large shoes to fill.
Good luck on the contest trail.
Paul
AMA 842917

As my coach and mentor Jim Lynch use to say every time we flew together - “We are making memories

Offline John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2024, 07:12:05 AM »
Thanks for your selfless contribution to our hobby Charles. You did an exemplary, professional yet friendly job. Your standard will be a lofty goal to pursue.

You seem like a great guy.

Sincerely

John

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2024, 07:15:25 AM »
Charles

This is bittersweet, for as much as I have enjoyed my time in the Chat Room, I also recognize that this is an incredible task to keep hosting gatherings like this in an ongoing basis.  You demonstrated a natural talent for hosting the often diverse opinions & personalities among people of various skill levels & experience - that is a special talent that will be tough to replace! You have also "brought it" twice a week for almost 4 years. demonstrating a real perseverance.  Heck, I even find my myself "taking nights off" from simply attending so I can do other things, as the host you did not have that option! Hopefully you can transfer some of these hours regained to spend with your beautiful family and, of course, to do more aeromodeling.  Heck, you might even have time to drop in on the chat from time to time!

It all comes down to:  Thank You Charles.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2024, 08:52:54 AM »
Charles, I don't think we have ever met.  If we had I don't remember.  I have been around black people most of my life except when I was living on the farm.  No black families in our school system at that time.  But riding with a couple of men that worked with Dad needed a ride I grew to like them very much.  In my travels to the NATS and local contests have met a few black people who were the greatest.  Phil Granderson comes to mind as his luggage arrived at the base in the middle of the night and whoever was in charge made the announcement.  So I just had to meet the gentleman.  I have not close to any of my modeling friends and one even said I was a snob.  To me we all are inhabitants of this great piece of space rock.   I try to be nice to whoever I meet.  I was privaleged to attend the Worlds in 2004 and got to meet so many people from around the world.

Now the reason I didn't join you guys on the video/live hookup is I have not been able to get sound on the main computor since the nerds decided I needed an update I didn't ask for.   So thanks for your time and effort. D>K H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2024, 09:33:34 AM »
Charles,
Thank you greatly for your huge effort on the Video Hangout. I enjoyed my time there with you as host and was continually impressed at your ability to keep it a pleasant, informative, and interesting forum.  As Dennis Adamisin correctly pointed out, you were dealing with a wide variety of personalities, experiences, and skill levels.  You always demonstrated patience and composure that few people could equal.  I know there were difficult things you were doing behind the scenes that also added to the positive nature of the forum.  My hat is off to you.

I won’t be at the Palmer, but GSSC is likely.

I will also try to coordinate visits when I’m in the San Diego area.

You now might have some free time and could finally visit the Model Craftsmanship Museum in Carlsbad.
https://craftsmanshipmuseum.com/

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2024, 10:57:09 AM »
It is with a bit of sorrow that I try to write out my thoughts.

Charles, over the time I've been privileged to know you, I have discovered a deep respect and affection for the man you are, and what you stand for. The comments above are right on. You are my brother in Christ. I'll miss meeting with you twice a week, but I also know that there comes a time when you are moved to take the next step forward in life's journey.

Best wishes, a fair breezes on the next chapter of your journey. I know we will, all of us, continue on and perhaps our paths will often cross. I look forward to that happy happening. God bless.

John M.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2024, 01:06:08 PM »
I will miss you on the Hangout but look forward to seeing you at the GSSC!

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2024, 03:07:46 PM »
Until I can find someone to host the show the format will be as such. I will for now start the broadcast at its normal time and After about an hour I will have it off to someone else to finish or hand it off to another. That is if everyone wants to keep it going.
AMA 12366

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2024, 03:28:20 PM »
That is if everyone wants to keep it going.
There are a lot of us that watch regularly that can't participate except through chat.  Please don't let it die.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2024, 04:24:01 PM »
Gonna' miss you Charles; you did a fantastic job as moderator. Now it's time to fly more, build more, and enjoy your family more on Monday and Friday evenings.

Please join in on as many chats as you can in the future.

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2024, 07:05:13 PM »
Sir Charles,

It was always a pleasure. I thought you did a great job. Hope you now fill those hours with something amazing. See you on the circles!

Dave

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2024, 07:10:58 PM »
Farewell Charles,
you did a fantastic job. You will be sorely missed.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Charles Carter

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2024, 07:58:17 PM »
Thank you so much For all of the comments and compliments. You all have put a smile on my face and warmed my heart.

Charles Carter

Offline Naomi Macklem

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2024, 09:33:15 AM »
Charles,
The Hangout was pretty late for me to participate and the occasional time that I was able to join in you always welcomed me and were very encouraging about my efforts building and trying to learn how to fly stunt.  Thank you so much for your kindness and support, and for all the hard work you did as the host.  Hope to see you at the World Champs in Muncie.
Naomi

Offline Leonard Bourel

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2024, 09:49:54 AM »
Charles,
I just want to say a big THANK YOU for all the great hangouts. You have done a top shelf job every week for the last approx 4 years.
I am not surprised to see you step down from the position as it takes up much of your free time that you could be spending with your family, friends or building that new stunt model. All the best Charles, and we look forward to meeting you in Muncie. Soon Len

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2024, 06:29:28 PM »
You have more than earned a well deserved break.
Kim and I treasure the friendship that we’ve developed with you and will definitely remain in personal touch with you.
Thanks for everything and we wish you all the best.

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2024, 07:17:02 AM »
Thank-you Charles for so many great shows, you did a very professional job and tried to include everyone making them welcome.
I am very sorry you are stepping back but also realize it is a very hard mission to dedicate so much time an effort to hosting Hangouts.
Very rarely to I get to watch or join now but your shows are always fun and you learn so much.
You set a great example of a keen, professional and encouraging aeromodeller to me and my family and friends.

Please keep up the good work as a terrific ambassador to the hobby and hope you enjoy the good times our hobby offers.

Best Regards Gerald

Offline Brendan Eberenz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2024, 09:01:35 AM »
Charles, thank you so much for 4 years of amazing work. The Hangout has been invaluable to me and Angstrom in our development as builders and flyers. It has been a warm and welcoming place for our novice skill set, and that positivity is a trickle down from the tone you set. As Angstrom has shared his progress on the Hangout, we could always count on you to offer the first "Wow," "That's great," or some virtual pat on the back. The atmosphere you created has been so inviting and encouraging that I can often dangle staying up late for the Hangout as a way to get Angstrom in the shop to do some building (my tactics are now exposed). I am sure the Hangout community will still be a great group, but know that I will personally miss you at the helm and will sense the void your absence leaves for quite some time. On behalf of the Eberenz stunt crew (all 4 of us now in the air), I thank you for leading the Hangout for the past 4 years and wish you the best with your personal aspirations. I really hope to shake your hand and share some laughs with you at a future event.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2024, 03:32:16 PM »
Thanks, Charles.  You worked hard at that job, and you were really good at it.  I especially appreciate your extra effort with my control geometry presentation.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2024, 02:31:08 PM »
Charles,

Thank you ever so much.  I always marveled at your superhuman dedication to doing the show twice a week without fail!

For all your contributions you should be nominated to the Stunt Hall of Fame.

You may find this amusing.  More than once my wife would walk by while I was watching the Hangout, and ask "Why are you listening to these guy rambling on?"  I would always say, "I listen because there's almost always a golden nugget to be found that I didn't know about."  Sometimes it would be a flying technique, building technique, a product I didn't know about, and just getting listen to the knowledge, wisdom, and history of "the greats" who would come on (too many names to mention).

So, thanks for everything.  You are appreciated more than you might know.

Tight lines and fair winds,
Joe Ed Pederson

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2024, 11:05:44 PM »
Hi Charles, I think I only made the video chat twice sure to weekly commitments those evenings, but I sure look forward to seeing you at GSSC. I'm not sure who beat who last time, but hopefully I'll finally have my A game going again by then.

Offline Les McDonald

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2024, 12:38:24 PM »
Even though I never made my presence known I would peek into the hangout from time to time. Charles, I was always impressed with your ability to keep a very diverse group of people at a round table for hours at a time, week after week. That is a skill that we all will miss. Enjoy whatever you get up to and please make it a point to say hello to me at the World Champs.
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Charles Carter

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2024, 02:34:43 PM »
Even though I never made my presence known I would peek into the hangout from time to time. Charles, I was always impressed with your ability to keep a very diverse group of people at a round table for hours at a time, week after week. That is a skill that we all will miss. Enjoy whatever you get up to and please make it a point to say hello to me at the World Champs.

Make sure to get my attention? I look forward to meeting everybody. Thank you everbody for your comments.  I have received phone calls and texts apart from this forum thanking me.

Charles Carter

Advertise Here
Tags: