News:

• March 29, 2024, 04:22:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Going up.  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Going up.
« on: April 10, 2021, 08:45:47 AM »
Home Depot here has 1/2 inch plywood sheathing for $50.00 for a 4 x 8 sheet. About a double in price.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Going up.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 08:57:22 AM »
Home Depot here has 1/2 inch plywood sheathing for $50.00 for a 4 x 8 sheet. About a double in price.

Welcome to the "New America."

Buckle up.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 09:40:49 AM »
But, the government says there is no inflation to worry about!  I guess getting a stimulus check means that inflation will be stimulated.  The Fed continues to print cash, with nothing to back it up, and for some reason(s), the politicians see no harm in this devaluation of money.

If you or I printed cash, it is counterfeiting and we go to jail.  But the government can print as much as they want and all is good. 

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 10:58:12 AM »
All the plywood is going to Riot Central in Portland, Seattle and Minneapolis.

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 11:35:14 AM »
All the plywood is going to Riot Central in Portland, Seattle and Minneapolis.

y1

Bad things can happen at almost any time at any place.  It takes a special kind of stupid to nurture and prolong the pain!

R%%%%
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 02:14:15 PM »
But, the government says there is no inflation to worry about!  I guess getting a stimulus check means that inflation will be stimulated.  The Fed continues to print cash, with nothing to back it up, and for some reason(s), the politicians see no harm in this devaluation of money.

If you or I printed cash, it is counterfeiting and we go to jail.  But the government can print as much as they want and all is good.
Some inflation can be good if the Fed raises interest rates to slow it down.  I know this raises to cost of borrowing money however I don't have any loans and depend on CDs for income.  High interest rates are a good thing for me.  That's hard truth, there are always winners and loosers when the government gets involved.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 02:19:38 PM »
y1

Bad things can happen at almost any time at any place.  It takes a special kind of stupid to nurture and prolong the pain!

R%%%%
Typical liberal comment.  Trying to shame the rest of us into silence if we don't agree.  Hope you are enjoying high gas prices. It's just a start as the Biden insanity kicks in.   :'(
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 03:23:10 PM »
Typical liberal comment.  Trying to shame the rest of us into silence if we don't agree.  Hope you are enjoying high gas prices. It's just a start as the Biden insanity kicks in.   :'(

John, I'm about as UN-liberal as you can get - from my days in Young Republicans and as a Barry Goldwater campaigner.  I was referring to Steve Lotz's remark "All the plywood is going to Riot Central in Portland, Seattle and Minneapolis."

I spent many years in Minneapolis and suburbs, have many family & friends there, and it pains me to watch destruction actually encouraged by elected officials.  That is the stupidity I referred to.  Were in authority, the riots would have lasted about 10 minutes.

And with many years of accounting and tax behind me, I understand the pain of watching years of hard work and savings yield almost nothing when interest rates are near zip.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 04:10:46 PM »
Some inflation can be good if the Fed raises interest rates to slow it down.  I know this raises to cost of borrowing money however I don't have any loans and depend on CDs for income.  High interest rates are a good thing for me.  That's hard truth, there are always winners and loosers when the government gets involved.

Yes, at times, higher interest rates can help, especially for those who are savers.  Right now, interest rates are barely above zero.  No way to keep up with inflation with such low returns.  I heard that some banks in Europe are charging a fee (negative interest rate) to hold a depositor's money.  Negative interest rates might happen here as well.  In that case it is better to keep your cash in a mattress or in a shoe box on the closet shelf.

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 07:22:37 PM »

If you put the government in charge of the desert within a month we will be out of sand.
AMA 12366

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 09:12:15 PM »
y1

R%%%%

And yes, our Minnesota Governor and especially mayor Frey of Minneapolis are doing everything they can to fuel the liberal fires with no sign of letting up. These two yahoos calling the shots literally makes me sick to my stomach, purveyors of nothing but indescribable asinine stupidity.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 09:20:06 PM »
Typical liberal comment.

Definitely not Dennis' intent John, you somehow took his comment incorrectly. Most likely his comment has a lot to do with my comment in Reply #10, just above.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 11:40:37 PM »
If you put the government in charge of the desert within a month we will be out of sand.

Sparky, it's really sad that you pretty much nail it.  I could write a book on government bureaucracy screw-ups  - and that would be just on my own experience, in the last year or two.  Imagine if we all combine stories!

OK, #1: I recently messaged USPS asking what labels I'd need to ship LiPo batteries, and what shipping methods could be used.  I got a reply thanking me for asking about Flat Rate Priority mail.    R%%%%

OK, #2: My son - who will be 18 in a few weeks - finally got his Drivers License!  He applied for and received an instruction permit 2 years ago.  Cost was $34.00.  We scheduled the driving exam last summer and were told (a) his permit was invalid because he hadn't submitted a driving log, and (b) the application fee was refunded.  Therefore he hadn't been driving on an instruction permit for 6 months prior to the behind-the-wheel test as required.

Basic facts: (a) The instruction permit doesn't require a driving log; obviously it would be illegal for him to drive without the permit, and (b) we never received the refund.  Oh, but just a few weeks ago we received a form letter asking if we had received the $5.25 refund.    R%%%%

This is what happens when brainless governors appoint campaign staffers and such to highly-paid positions managing complex projects.  Minnesota taxpayers shelled out well over 100 million dollars to produce a system that ... had to be abandoned.  Five or six years of a mess, and a new team starts over.

Our Health & Human Services has also cost taxpayers well over 100 million dollars in the last few years by their failure to maintain even a basic, functioning system.  Managers coming and going on an apparent revolving wheel, with NO explanation from our pinhead governor.    R%%%%

Yup, government is surely the solution!

Dennis

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 12:02:55 AM »
Yes, at times, higher interest rates can help, especially for those who are savers.  Right now, interest rates are barely above zero.  No way to keep up with inflation with such low returns.  I heard that some banks in Europe are charging a fee (negative interest rate) to hold a depositor's money.  Negative interest rates might happen here as well.  In that case it is better to keep your cash in a mattress or in a shoe box on the closet shelf.

Jim, I believe reasonable inflation and reasonable interest rates are desirable too.  Consider: as a society shouldn't we encourage home ownership and new business development?  Seems reasonable that we're more likely to build or purchase a home, for example, if we are confident that the value is likely to appreciate.

Than again, I'm often wrong.

:)
Dennis

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 05:33:09 AM »
I went to Hobby Towne for some clear dope shortly after posting. I should have stayed home. One quart of clear $30.00. One roll of Ultra Kote $20.00. "Shuckins" I said in the store, outside I went straight to the four letter words and several 12 letter ones. I may have to buy direct from Aircraft Spruce.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 06:14:00 AM »
I went to Hobby Towne for some clear dope shortly after posting. I should have stayed home. One quart of clear $30.00. One roll of Ultra Kote $20.00. "Shuckins" I said in the store, outside I went straight to the four letter words and several 12 letter ones. I may have to buy direct from Aircraft Spruce.

A quart of Brodak dope is $41.99 plus shipping!  Aircraft Spruce is about half that plus shipping.

Don

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 06:15:16 AM »
Be glad that you are not trying to get a building built.
Contractors scrambling and it's gonna have a ripple effect.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 07:00:17 AM »
Just more supply vs demand issue (cost of ply doubling/tripling). Same with ammunition or components to hand load, or most groceries.

In the case of ammunition....COVID/ANTIFA/BLM freaked out millions from lack of commodities and personal security POV. We added over 10 MILLION new gun owners in last 14 months, added to the normal number of shooters this is a very significant increase that the manufactures simply could not supply. Hyper inflation for almost all things to support the shooting public resulted.

On point, the cost of building supplies, a lot from Canada, closing the border for COVID  significantly impacted the wood industries just as MILLIONS of Urbanites started fleeing to rural areas. Builders in my area have raised the $57 per square foot cost to $105~$145 locally due to this inflated prices. Secondary problem and a big one...NO LABOR will work for 2019 wages....the (COVID STIMULUS) $400+ added to WEEKLY unemployment checks has nearly every business in my small rural county begging for workers and having to raise wages to get the few that are wiling to actually work.  Many only work the number of days to qualify for unemployment then get hurt/sick and can't work. They don't quit and then get state unemployment. They actually list on facebook how to do this and laugh about sitting at home drawing more than working...lack of personal ethics IMO

COVID shut states significantly impact the supply chains of nearly all commerce domestically and offshore. Companies can't get things at any price. Auto manufactures domestically are selling many vehicles without some features due to lack of computer chips as an example

Nearly all of this is a direct result of government failing to asses the REAL problems and properly responding.

RIOTS lasting weeks or months, Shuttering a significant amount of businesses deeply impacted the world. I have a hard time believing this is not intended......
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 07:36:11 AM »
Be glad that you are not trying to get a building built.
Contractors scrambling and it's gonna have a ripple effect.

Point in fact: I just finished building my new shop, cost about 70% more than the estimate that was given last summer. Cost of materials, cost of skilled labor,....all rising dramatically.
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2021, 09:39:58 AM »
Point in fact:. Cost of skilled labor rising dramatically.

Not a bad thing.  ;D Hopefully once the borders open and we get back to some semblance of normalcy lumber prices will come back down. 
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2021, 11:39:41 AM »
Corporations are paying lumber corporations to not harvest lumber so as to offset their corporation's carbon footprint. So, less lumber cut for use as lumber, different way to profit for the lumber corporation, big corporations get to say they are offsetting their carbon footprint... so Greta Thunberg is happy!
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here