News:

• March 29, 2024, 04:15:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glow plugs  (Read 2017 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Glow plugs
« on: June 23, 2018, 09:53:18 AM »
Noticed in the post about Thunderbolt plugs that the idle bar plugs are not available.   He referred to them as RC plugs.   When I first met the late Ken Wilson of Wilson's RC Hobby shop I was looking for parts for a control line plane.  Told him what I was needing and he hands me a package that said RC on it.  Just to rattle him I said it had to be control line.   He laughs and said here as he crossed out the letters RC and penned in CL on the package.    He is the reason I took a hiatus from CL so my son and I could learn RC.   Up to them his wife is the one that would sell/talk to me when I went in the store.    The reason I went to the store originally was because he carried Aeromodeler magazine.   But it still amazes me that so many things are listed as RC when in my thought it should be listed as for model plane use. HB~>
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
Re: Glow plugs
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 10:05:48 AM »
Noticed in the post about Thunderbolt plugs that the idle bar plugs are not available.   He referred to them as RC plugs.   When I first met the late Ken Wilson of Wilson's RC Hobby shop I was looking for parts for a control line plane.  Told him what I was needing and he hands me a package that said RC on it.  Just to rattle him I said it had to be control line.   He laughs and said here as he crossed out the letters RC and penned in CL on the package.    He is the reason I took a hiatus from CL so my son and I could learn RC.   Up to them his wife is the one that would sell/talk to me when I went in the store.    The reason I went to the store originally was because he carried Aeromodeler magazine.   But it still amazes me that so many things are listed as RC when in my thought it should be listed as for model plane use. HB~>

Good point.        D>K       H^^

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 04:02:27 PM »
What is really important, of course, is the heat range of the plug.  I've use Enya #3 plugs for many years and they don't have a Idle bar but are very hot and work just fin for stunt.  I'm hoping that one of the Thunderbolt plugs without the idle bar is like that because the Enya #3's have become very hard to find also!
One of the Thunderbolt plugs said "Improves throttle response'  I hope that means it's HOT!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 06:45:48 PM »
What is really important, of course, is the heat range of the plug.  I've use Enya #3 plugs for many years and they don't have a Idle bar but are very hot and work just fin for stunt.  I'm hoping that one of the Thunderbolt plugs without the idle bar is like that because the Enya #3's have become very hard to find also!
One of the Thunderbolt plugs said "Improves throttle response'  I hope that means it's HOT!

Randy Cuberly

The Merlin 2004  HOT Bg Bore  s like that,  That is why I carry and  sell them plus they  are  very wellmade

Randy

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 09:01:14 PM »
Enya 3 and Thunderbolts are my plugs of choice, but didn't Tbolt quit making and selling them last year? I thought I'd read that , but I've been grounded by the flight surgeon for a while now, so I'm out of the loop at the moment. I hope they're still being made.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 09:46:12 PM »
Enya 3 and Thunderbolts are my plugs of choice, but didn't Tbolt quit making and selling them last year? I thought I'd read that , but I've been grounded by the flight surgeon for a while now, so I'm out of the loop at the moment. I hope they're still being made.
Rusty

Apparently Thunderbolt plugs have been picked up by "Mike's goes Flying".  However they are not, at least for the moment making the Thunderbolt R/C Long that we like for Piped stunt engines!

See at:    Mike%20Goes%20Flying%20%E2%80%93%20Home%20of%20Magnum%20Engines.html

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 10:08:03 PM »
Thanks, Randy. This one will suit my needs for my mid-sized stunters. LA .46 Cardinal, etc. As you said, no idle bar. Here's the link :

https://www.mikegoesflying.com/shop/engine-accessories/thunderbolt-standard-long-plug-universal-control-line-and-r-c-plug/

Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 10:19:11 PM »
Hmmmmmm...

I didn't notice what happend to that link I tried to post before.  Switched browsers recently and no end to problems!  I've never been one to leave "well enough alone"  Go Figure!!!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 01:54:57 AM »
Apparently Thunderbolt plugs have been picked up by "Mike's goes Flying".  However they are not, at least for the moment making the Thunderbolt R/C Long that we like for Piped stunt engines!

See at:    Mike%20Goes%20Flying%20%E2%80%93%20Home%20of%20Magnum%20Engines.html

Randy Cuberly

Ah yes.....Mike Greenshields...owner and son of the founder of the now closed Hobby Shack.
There is an interesting story on how those T-Bolt plugs came to be mfgd.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 02:33:12 PM »
I've been running the Thunderbolt 4-cycle glowplug, which was discontinued some years ago and replaced with the "4-cycle and Big Bore" glowplug. I believe I've run it in a .46LA, the Magnum XLS .36, as well as the OS .46VF. Possibly also the PA .51 and ST G.51. If I pulled the glowplugs out, I could tell you. The 4-cycle has no idle bar. 

I wouldn't know if there was really any difference, because I've yet to use up all the 4-cycle (and R/C idle bar) Thunderbolts I have in stock. They also had a "HD", which apparently meant "heavy duty", but I've not tried them...probably intended for speed and racing...do the R/C guys do that? IDK & IDC!  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 06:57:04 PM »
There should not be a problem on getting idle bar glow plugs. As I recall they were made by O&R as were a lot of other glow plugs for different company's.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 08:04:12 PM »
The  Thunderbolt  4 stroke  plugs were killed off years ago, and replaced by the  BIG BORE  2 and 4 cycle plugs,  both silver body  both no idle bar.  There  is  no big deal  about  idle bar plugs  as  you  can get non idle bar  plugs that work extremely well,  The  Merlin BiG Bore  plugs work every bit as well as the  Old T Bolt Big bore  and  are  about 3 dollars  cheaper, and they are extremely well made
I stock both of these  plus the  SIG RC long  plugs

Randy

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 09:14:58 PM »
Noticed in the post about Thunderbolt plugs that the idle bar plugs are not available.   He referred to them as RC plugs. 

Those two terms are synonymous. In any case, you don't want the RC plugs, you want the Thunderbolt 4-cycle plugs (which don't have an idle bar). The called them "big bore" later, but as far as I can tell, they work the same.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here