News:

• June 16, 2024, 09:00:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tom Dixon  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Michael Gill

• AMA 1780
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Tom Dixon
« on: November 28, 2012, 04:03:39 PM »
I have tried to contact Tom Dixon for new instructions but have had no reply. I have a Tom Dixon Nobbler and I cannot find the instruction. It has the foam cores and I would like recommendations on how to glue the balsa to the wings. If I recall I think he used foam safe super glue. I have been out of CL for awhile and a club member has re sparked my interest. So to the attic I went and pulled a profile out and had a blast with it over the Thanksgiving weekend. Any help would be appreciated. #^

P.S. Does anyone know if Tom is still over in GA.
Michael Gill

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Tom Dixon
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
Yes Tom is still around and in Ga.

I would suggest that you do a search on this site for more information or just wait for others to give some great advice.

I have very limited experience with sheeting but you can use epoxy or something like tight bond glue.

Bob Hunt has a lot of advice on sheeting foam wings.

Welcome to Stunthanger, and glad your back flying CL.  H^^
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 05:05:16 PM »
       Hello Michael,
                          Tom is still in Marietta, Ga. and he is still in business. He usually gives absolutely great service. I sent you his phone no., website info., and other pertinent info. on the Stunt Hanger message feature.
                          Doug

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 06:19:41 PM »
A few years back Windy taped Tom doing a demo at Brodaks on how to to the Dixon "kept foam" partially sheeted that would be a tremendous help if you could find it (wonder if its on youtube now).  If I recall the original Time Machine article had a written procedure for doing it.  I'll look tonight and see what I still have in the way of wing instructions from Tom.
Steve

Offline Joshua Harel

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 06:20:26 PM »
Michael

Tom has detailed instructions on his web page on how to sheet foam wings. If you cannot find it, PM me and I will send you a PDF version of his instructions.

Joshua

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 09:44:28 PM »
Best way to reach Tom is "Snail Mail".  He is a firm believer in communicating by postage stamp.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Joshua Harel

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 04:41:24 AM »
Here is the link to Tom's webpage. The instructions are just below the list of available foam wings.
http://tomdixon.tripod.com/wings.htm

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 09:18:26 AM »
As someone alluded to, Tom "doesn't do email".  A letter, or better yet a phone call, works extremely well.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 03:00:26 PM »
I got to watch one of Tom's demo's at Brodaks.  It was really impressive to watch Tom go from foam core to sheeted wing in a very short time.  When Tom designed the process to build the Time Machine he really came up with some time savers.  Talk about walking and chewing gum at the same time: Tom narrated every step of the process as he variously whacked away with his X-acto knife, block sanded, dribbled CA into the correct spot, etc.  I wish more of us would put on demo's like this at Brodaks (and I wish more of us would attend them to encourage the guys willing to put them on!)

Scott

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 05:15:07 PM »
  Scott,
         Tom always has good advise and great ideas on building, and he doesn't mind taking the time to share with anyone.
              Doug 

Offline Curt Diggs

• 2013 Supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 06:07:33 AM »
  Scott,
         Tom always has good advise and great ideas on building, and he doesn't mind taking the time to share with anyone.
              Doug 

Very true. He's also a gentleman and very encouraging and helpful to old CL retreads like me. He helped me get my new Ringmaster into the air and me flying CL again after 40+ years. What a rush!

CurtD

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here