News:

• April 16, 2024, 05:50:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: GLOBEE Fireplug  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Windwalker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
GLOBEE Fireplug
« on: May 28, 2021, 01:16:06 PM »
All this talk a couple months ago about Globee refurbishment got me to thinking.. I have one of those GloBees that I bought about 40 years ago from Don Still's hobby shop.. It still works but is showing it's age.. The plastic case is deteriorating and falling apart.. It has changed color from the original red to a dark tan.. Does anyone know where I might find a replacement case??

Nick Gans
Nick Gans aka
Windwalker

Offline Windwalker

• Lieutenant
Re: GLOBEE Fireplug
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 11:32:43 PM »
Good luck finding one of those.

Motorman 8)

Yeah, I know it's a long shot.. As I stated, mine works just fine, it's just falling apart.. Held together with duct tape and zip ties.. Hopefully, someone has a non-working one or one that's not being used anymore but has a good case.. IF push comes to shove, I think I can fashion a case from one of those electrical junction boxes and stuff all the GloBee guts into it...
Nick Gans aka
Windwalker

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 04:17:39 AM »
Check if someone has a 3D printed one?
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 07:30:06 AM »
Yeah, I know it's a long shot.. As I stated, mine works just fine, it's just falling apart.. Held together with duct tape and zip ties.. Hopefully, someone has a non-working one or one that's not being used anymore but has a good case.. IF push comes to shove, I think I can fashion a case from one of those electrical junction boxes and stuff all the GloBee guts into it...

Check your PM box.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 03:52:34 PM »
If it works, why not just re-paint?
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Windwalker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 11:01:34 PM »
If it works, why not just re-paint?

It's beyond a paint job.. The case is so -- what's a good word here -- rotten it's falling apart.. Paint won't do any good..

Nick
Nick Gans aka
Windwalker

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 10:14:03 PM »
Nick,  I can probably help you out.  Let me check my stash, pretty sure I have some extras. 

Offline Windwalker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 09:26:23 AM »
Nick,  I can probably help you out.  Let me check my stash, pretty sure I have some extras.

I would sure appreciate it if you  can help.. I'm not looking for a freebee, I'm willing to pay for a good one, working or not.. I just need the three pieces of the case...
Nick Gans aka
Windwalker

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 01:20:25 PM »
PM sent

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 05:45:22 PM »

I am in the  same shape, I have one  that  the  red  case  , either  top or  bottom, collapsed  and  pinches  the  arm that turn the  volts up and down, the  meter  is  dead too, even though  the  battery  lights up glow plugs

Randy

Offline Windwalker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 07:01:13 PM »
I am in the  same shape, I have one  that  the  red  case  , either  top or  bottom, collapsed  and  pinches  the  arm that turn the  volts up and down, the  meter  is  dead too, even though  the  battery  lights up glow plugs

Randy

Yep, that's how mine started, Randy.  Next, the case will start to flake and chip, and the case will also start to distort if it hasn't already. The bottom of my case shrunk and now the battery has to be forced into the case.. My case has split in a few places.. It's now held together with zip ties and duct tape.. But like yours, mine also still works. In all the years Iv'e been modeling, I haven't found a better gloplug driver.. I just can't bring myself to throw it away..

What I did originally was: Open the case and remove the battery.. Remove the thumb nuts on the terminals and then remove the metal nuts holding the posts in place.. If need be, you can use a screwdriver to access the other end of the posts from the inside.. Very carefully separate the two top parts of the case. Don't remove the screw/posts. Slip a couple #6 washers over the posts and put everything back together.. The washers raise the top just enough to open the slot enough the pot arm can slide about... 
Nick Gans aka
Windwalker

Offline Windwalker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 02:50:37 PM »
I knew going in, finding a case was a long shot.. Well folks, that long shot paid off in aces.. Thanks to Mike Hazel and Dan McEntee, I now have two complete  working GloBees.. AND I have almost enough parts for a 3rd one.. I've been a member of StuntHanger for a long time, but it's been a few years since I've been here.. I was a stranger to both these guys, but they stepped up to help me and I really, really appreciate that..

Nick
Nick Gans aka
Windwalker

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here