News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:43:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glasscoat over ultracoat film  (Read 900 times)

Offline MikeyPratt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Glasscoat over ultracoat film
« on: September 28, 2018, 01:19:10 PM »
Hi Guy’s,
I need some suggestions, I'm thinking about spraying Glasscoat epoxy color over ultraoat film covering for trim.  Does the Glasscoat epoxy paint act in the same manner as the old K&B epoxy paint?  Or is it different enough to change the way it's applied?  I've always lightly scrubbed or sanded the area of the film to be painted then spray the colored trim.

Later,
Mikey

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Re: Glasscoat over ultracoat film
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 01:39:51 PM »
Klass Kote.  http://www.klasskote.com/

It's pretty tenacious stuff.  It reacts basically the same as the old K&B.  Great product!
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 02:52:34 PM »
It has been years since I used it but it also brushes on well.

Mike

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 04:31:13 PM »
Hope you have the right mask, that stuff is rather carcinogenic when sprayed.

Not any more than dope and much less toxic than 2-part polyurethane.

Brett

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 05:37:23 PM »
Thanks Brett, Mike, MM, Brent,
It has been a long time since I used K&B and was really hoping the Glasscoat works about the same.  That's great news and now I can finish the trim on the XL. 

Oh buy the way, it flies “Bitchen” with the Four cell set up and now I'm putting the 5 cell package in it, I'm really looking forward to trying it with the active timer.  If time allows I do have a 6 cell package for it also.  I may have to ad a little tail weight to balance the 6 cell package and larger motor.  But as it stands now an all up weight with the 5 cell package is 52 ounces with 650 sq.in. of wing area.

Later,
Mikey

Online Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 06:27:33 PM »
I have read that KlassKote -criminy I hate to have to spell that - hardener will also work with K&B Superpoxy color.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 07:19:04 PM »
I have read that KlassKote -criminy I hate to have to spell that - hardener will also work with K&B Superpoxy color.

Yes, the colors and regular hardener, at least, mix/match as you need. What doesn't work with K&B is the regular #500 thinner. You need the "fast" thinner, which is the same as Superpoxy/Ultrapoxy thinner.

I think that Klass Kote and Hobbypoxy may be nearly identical, or the same, but also that every bit of HobbyPoxy I have ever used was expired. Klass Kote has never set up all rubbery on me, like Hobbypoxy did routinely. Hobbypoxy and K&B were also compatible.

I haven't tried various combinations of primer.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here