News:

• April 24, 2024, 02:13:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gieske Nobler setup  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Les Byrd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Gieske Nobler setup
« on: November 25, 2006, 08:16:37 AM »
After about a 5 year layoff, I've embarked upon a winter building program to re-enter the CL and especially Stunt.  I have a virgin Gieske Nobler kit and have some fundamental questions. 
1.) The Box says wing area is 510 sq in.  The Plan says 550....anyone know which is correct?
2.) I thought .40FP or LA would be adequate, but an old friend is recommending a .46LA.  Does the added power offset the bigger wires?
ALSO:  3.) I have a Brodak Pathfinder ordered and on the way.  They recommend a .40 or .46.....I'm leaning toward an ST .51...too much?  too heavy?  ST .51 OK as-is for profile installation?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Gieske Nobler setup
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 08:39:31 AM »
I had the Gieske Nobler when it first came out.  I built it according to the instructions including doing a complete monokote job.  With my trusty old Fox 35 stunt it was a terrific flying airplane.   Now the Pathfinder is one I have not built yet and Gordon keeps telling me to build it.  It is one that Ken Smith produced.  I picked it up at the first VSC I attended and Gordon and flying partner autographed it for me.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 09:00:28 AM »
Les:
Welcome back!
I would suggest that you hold off building the Nobler....rather, build the Pathfinder....power it with an LA .46 and you'll have a terrific flyer....I believe that the Pathfinder is one of the best flying ARFs/ARCs/Profiles on the market...

There are new, laser cut Noblers from UHP or RSM that will build faster, lighter and easier...and a .46 works well on them....

Have Fun!

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 09:15:21 AM »
The Gieske Nobler kit is more of a collectors item now. It is a great airplane, but the newer laser cut kit it is better, and true to Bob's World Champ airplane.

Bob has a new one like his WC airplane, and he uses Randy's Aero Tigre .36.  The additional power of the newer engines up to a .46 really make these airplanes talk.

I would NEVER recommend a profile to replace a full bodied stunter!!!!

AMA 7544

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:57:44 PM »
Les, welcome back, it's been about 7 or 8 years sense I've seen you. I agree with Tom, save the kit for the collector's. I am in the process of building a Gieske Nobler. It is a laser cut kit and will power it with a Aero Tiger 36. Al tho I think a Brodak 40, or an LA 46 might do well also. Phone or E-mail Steve Moon in Texas and try one. The kit has it all. And, I'd opt for the full body over the profile too. Hope to see you next year.
Also, we (Ohio and Indiana) are going to meet at Wright Pat. AFB in January I think, John Jordon can fill you in. See ya there maybe.

Blessings
Allen

Offline John Jordan

• Balsadust
  • 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 05:07:31 PM »
Hi Less Glad to hear you are back. The advice above is great although how far are you willing to go$$$$$  wise. Give me a call sometime would like to talk with you. Our club meetings are on t
Tuesday's now not wednesday 6:00- 9:00 at Finley and Leo st.Looking forward to yourcome back Way to go see ya John
John Jordan    ama # 5939

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 05:10:30 PM »
Well a Pathfinder in the hand is worth.....   f~ Since Les has a Pathfinder ordered, he couldn't go wrong with a LA46 for power. However the designer did plan on the FP40 (I think the LA40 hadn't been released at that time).

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 05:35:49 PM »
Hey Les, way to go!! Or rather, way to come back!!  I've missed banging heads with you and your "always class act" at the contests.  I'm really looking forward to seeing you again!
Hey, use the Pathfinder to get those bottoms back and then tune the pattern with the Nobler.  I'll leave the power choice alone as I'm thoroughly hooked on the big piped engines.  Lets the old man fly slower!
Blessings,
Will Hinton
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Les Byrd

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 05:57:15 AM »
Thanks Gents for the warm welcome and the "wisdom of the sages"!  Sorry for the slow response to all your replies, it's unseasonably warm here in SW OH and after the post I got busy with outdoor domestic duties.

I'm kinda committed to building the Nobler kit.  My bro-in-law took it out of storage and sold it to me at his original cost.  If I were to sell it to a collector, I don't think I could face him!  I don't understand the collector mentality anyway.  Toys are meant to be played with.  All my Lionel stuff is exercised regularly, my engines are all runners, my pistols and rifles are shooters, and then there's my wife....

Sounds like the .46 LA is the engine of choice for both the Nobler and the Pathfinder.  No one bit on my ST .51 question, I guess going from a .40/.015's to a .46/.018's is not really an issue.  I haven't had any experience with big engines/big ropes.

Will,
Thanks for the welcome, going hi-tech are we?  I need to catch up with a conventional setup before I start in on something new.
Still Pickin'?
Les

John,
I'm not much for long phone conversations, but I stopped in the see Harold S on Friday and he twisted my arm three times to get to attend the next Buzzard meeting.   We can catch up there-and I'll try to bring Tom.

Shiny Toys: Illusive Dreams, Vague Desires...............
Les

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 06:44:53 AM »
Les,

I have a Pathfinder ARF re-manufactured to resemble a Navy jet.  Have not flown it yet but it will use the ST 51.  I have two Cardinal profiles with ST 51s and have seen the ST used on several other Cardinal profiles.

Quite good engines straight from the box.  My oldest one is an Italian engine with many, many flights on it.  When I  set it up right I usually get one flip starts.

The LA 46 is very good also, I think--have not used one.  The LA is 2.5 or 3 oz. lighter than the ST;  I wouldn't use the factory muffler for either engine.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 08:43:49 AM »
Please don't take my statements wrong. The Pathfinder is a fine airplane. However, Ty explained the profile problems above.

Add to that more consistant engine runs. That is why I would never suggest a profile ahead of a full bodied airplane.
AMA 7544

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 03:47:28 PM »
Les,
I don't know if high tech is the right term, but I've been piped since the Ephesian from way back. You know, the one you used to beat all the time?  And with your diesel?  I did go to the PA series though, after you left us for a while, and lovem.
Yes, I'm still pickin' and still buildin' custom guitars & basses.  Takes a bit of discipline to keep from just reaching over to the balsa pile when customers are waiting on an instrument!
Hope to seeyasoon!
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 08:01:48 PM »
We're hooked!

"Clockwise Forever..."

RacerBob
"Clockwise Forever..."