News:

• March 29, 2024, 04:54:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gieseke Nobler  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Gieseke Nobler
« on: April 25, 2018, 07:56:38 PM »
As I look at the plans for the Top Flite, blue box Gieseke Nobler, I see a big difference in the cowl compared to the
Nobler being restored in a previous thread. The pictures in the thread show a V deflector and a different intake opening. I like the shape of the kit cowl and I’d like to know if Bob ever campaigned a Nobler with a kit type cowl.

I would also like to know what color red he used

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Gieseke Nobler
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 08:33:28 PM »
Theres a Goldberg spray can red dope , that looks like it . I think . Same as their jars ? .

Have you done a search on Gieske Nobler here or Google Pics ? Quite a bit of stuff comes up now .

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 11:06:46 PM »
Theres a Goldberg spray can red dope , that looks like it . I think . Same as their jars ? .

Have you done a search on Gieske Nobler here or Google Pics ? Quite a bit of stuff comes up now .

Maybe Aero-Gloss. No Goldberg dope, spray can or otherwise. The restoration thread probably mentioned the "dope" brand. Aero Gloss generally isn't compatible with any other dope, and (they say) some AG vintages aren't compatible with other AG vintages. I personally quit using AG when I discovered that I always got fiercesome sore throats after using it. That was about 1958.  D>K Steve 

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 07:01:51 PM »
o.k. then , ULTRA PAINT

thats " 80190 "

sees to have same forensic properties , Er . . . same colour shift in same light . Going by the numerous pictures of Bob's Original .
The Nozzles Clog Easilly . Ive soaked them in acetone to clear .
Ive seen jars & cans on ebay , once .
Covers well , drys slow .High Gloss out of the can .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 07:08:47 PM »
The FLYING WING , NOT the Twin Boomer , is I believe painted with it . Blood Red / Scarlet in artificial light . A bit of sun there .  H^^

oops . So is this . Wire in top of can , er . : The Nozzles are the male type , Thisisat night, last night, even . Appears darker there .
Just picture & put here as w.t.h. ,  LL~ :P Read the Fine Print, in the CAN Photo .  D>K

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 07:23:46 PM »
Er ,

That plastic stuff too .

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 10:07:33 PM »
o.k. then , ULTRA PAINT

thats " 80190 "

sees to have same forensic properties , Er . . . same colour shift in same light . Going by the numerous pictures of Bob's Original .
The Nozzles Clog Easilly . Ive soaked them in acetone to clear .
Ive seen jars & cans on ebay , once .
Covers well , drys slow .High Gloss out of the can .

Likely enamel, like TF's spray cans sold to match MonoKote. Probably more ads for that in R/C gagazines (sic), which I hope to have missed. And then, Goldberg sold his company to Lanier R/C. Not sure just what year, but I met Carl at the Taft, California World FF Champs in '79, and I don't think he lived another year after that, so believe he had already sold. Lanier may have brought out the paint and not CG himself. The film was and still is "Oracover", a well-known european product. And generally accepted as being better than anything but LarryKote, as you are probably very aware. I've used Pactra Formula U, and liked it, but being a polyurethane, it was also fairly slow drying and heavy. But way more fuel proof, too.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 09:09:47 PM »
The last time I met Carl was 1980. So far as I know he was in good health then. The scuttlebut is that he got a bad transfusion before they really started screening the applicants and died of transmitted infection.

Anyone have better info?

Heck of a nice guy! He gave my wife a Gentle Lady kit as a wedding present! We flew slope gliders at the time.  :D
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 09:25:52 PM »
I have always heard that Bob used Sig Tennessee Red dope. Perhaps we'll hear from Doug Moon or Mike Scott.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 10:47:18 PM »
The last time I met Carl was 1980. So far as I know he was in good health then. The scuttlebut is that he got a bad transfusion before they really started screening the applicants and died of transmitted infection.

Anyone have better info?

Heck of a nice guy! He gave my wife a Gentle Lady kit as a wedding present! We flew slope gliders at the time.  :D

I attended the NATS in Lincoln Nebraska in 1982 I think it was, and met Carl Goldberg and his wife Beth at the awards banquet for the R/C sale plane event, which I competed in that year. I got to meet Sid Axlerod, owner of Top Flite, at that dinner also. My wife was pregnant with Sean, and he was born in December of that year, (I think) and that is how I am thinking that he was still among us at that time. I believe he was one of the first to acquire the AIDS virus through blood he received during open heart surgery. My daughter Mary Katherine was born in August of 1985, and on the day she was born, my wife went into labor with her while I was at the flying field competing in a regional Carl Goldberg Memorial Gentle Lady contest, of which I won the sailplane event. I just checked the plaque I won and it listed him as living from 1912 to 1985. Mr. Goldberg was a true founding father of model aviation.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 12:43:59 AM »
Likely enamel, like TF's spray cans sold to match MonoKote.

Says  xylene , on the can . definately lacquer . Acetone Solvent .

Same as the stuff they pass off as dope here

Dont you like the nail varnish .  LL~ :(

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here