News:

• April 23, 2024, 12:55:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Getting the word out  (Read 749 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Getting the word out
« on: August 17, 2019, 09:38:23 AM »
The thread "What's Missing" starts with a picture of a young lady flying stunt.   Did she start flying on her own or did she have some one to help her get started.   Each of us or most of us have youngsters we could be helping.  But I can remember how I got started.  When Mother would go grocery shopping I could be found at the magazine rack looking at the latest comic books or in my case was a magazine called Air Trails for Young Men.   Not only models of cars, planes, boats and trains covered.   It also had items for improving a young mans attitude.  I learned to tie a tie from that magazine as well as discovering control line models.  Now I look at the magazine racks and maybe there are some magazines covering all or most types of radio control.  I especially waited for the annual issue that covered the NATS.  I don't know if they made much money for the people that printed those mags.   But I wonder how it would go if there was an annual issue by the AMA put out just about control line with a construction article for a simple CL model.   Any this is just ramblings from an old man that thinks of the days I let pass by when I should have been at the local circle instead of driving to contests. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Re: Getting the word out
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 03:55:31 PM »
Being a pack rat, I still have a few of those Air Trials, and one annual with all the control line information you could ever want. From what starting battery and prop they used, to what kind of dope and how man coats. Engines, wheels, and what kind of fuel. That is why I never did any studying in study hall in high school. Little did the powers that be know we would waste our time reading those magazines as they were in the library. The one Annual I have is from 54.
Jim Kraft

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 04:24:53 PM »
I have the following Air Trails Annuals:

51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, --  68, 69

Also, I have the Model Airplane New Annuals:

60, 61, 62

If anyone has a copy 67 Air Trails Annual, if there was one, maybe we could negotiate.

Also, I have all of the Aeromodeller Annuals from 1948 through the 1978-79 issue.  To go along with these Aeromodeller Annuals, I have the Aeromodeller Control Line Manual (67 Reprint) and the Aeromodeller book on Flying Scale Models from 1956.

There are a few designs in those Air Trails Annuals that are on my bucket list to build.

Keith

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 07:30:39 PM »
Air Trails magazine is before my time, but Model Airplane News and Flying Models covered C/L pretty well in the 1971 era when I started enjoying visiting the local hobby shop and subsequently working there.  I'm interested to read a copy of a good Air Trails, just for the fun of it.

Times change.  Writing letters faded out, replaced in part by the telephone.  Now, writing is back in fashion, but the way writing is sent around is largely electronic.

There are kids that enjoy models.  Primarily, cars and drones.

Peter

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here