News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:53:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Getting Old Sucks!  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Getting Old Sucks!
« on: September 05, 2019, 06:15:06 PM »
I'm going to have to give up C/L flying for a while as a result of trying to get in better shape by swimming. For the last month I've been suffering with neck pain and shooting pains in my left arm. I really can't rotate my head back to do the vertical and overhead stunts. Went to the doctor and we're working with meds and physical therapy.  I went today to fly some R/C and experienced the same pains.  Was it Frank Sinatra who said "Getting Old is Not For Sissies".......PhillySkip

Dwayne

Re: Getting Old Sucks!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 06:23:51 PM »
I sure hope you don't go through what I did, I had pains in my left arm as well I ended up having two pinched nerves in my neck, the pain in my arm got so bad I was hospitalized and had to have a neck fusion done, it took almost a year to feel comfortable flying again. Take care friend 

Online Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 06:43:35 PM »
Several day ago I sent some friends the same headline, getting old sucks. Why did  I send that, Quadruple heart bypass, aortic valve replacement and a pacemaker installed. August 12th. Your headline hit home. H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ I still, work full time, doing what , delivering meds to Hospice patients all over north Texas. I am 78 years old and I will never retire. They need me, not like some here.

Dick Byron

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 08:35:57 PM »
I'm going to have to give up C/L flying for a while as a result of trying to get in better shape by swimming. For the last month I've been suffering with neck pain and shooting pains in my left arm. I really can't rotate my head back to do the vertical and overhead stunts. Went to the doctor and we're working with meds and physical therapy.  I went today to fly some R/C and experienced the same pains.  Was it Frank Sinatra who said "Getting Old is Not For Sissies".......PhillySkip

Sorry to hear you're having pain when you fly.  Believe me I understand! I hope things get better for you.

I've been pretty much "House Bound" for the past several months due to IBS!  It's truly the "PITS".

I don't think it was Sinatra that originated that slogan about getting old!  In an interview on her 85th Birth day, the ever alert and funny Miss May West as an answer to the interviewer when asked what it was like being "85" she answered " Well, it ain't for Sissies Honey!".

Truly it Ain't!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 08:37:47 PM »
If getting old sucks why are we all doing it? ???

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 08:40:40 PM »
If getting old sucks why are we all doing it? ???

Ken

'Cause the alternative Sucks even worse!!!  Never give up, Never surrender!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 04:07:47 AM »
  Never give up, Never surrender!

Randy Cuberly

To infinity and beyond!
AMA 12366

Online GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 05:11:46 AM »
Hello
Yep " To infinity and beyond!" Buzz Light Year is a hard one to put down he keeps going, unfortunately the real people in our lives age.

Saw my Father in hospital today (he has fluid on the lungs again, heart failure stuff) and he says if only I can get to 90 (89 next month) and he always has a positive outlook which helps.
Anyway he was a Navy and Army man and although not a control line flyer always encourages me and my sons with our flying our models.
Here's a pic of him with a photo of himself in the background as a young sailor ... and getting old now.

Regards Gerald

Tom Vieira

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 06:23:40 AM »
don't even need to be old for that!  i'm 35 and have two herniated discs in my neck that cause radiating neck/arm/hand pain.  steroids, cortizone shots, and PT kinda help when it flares up really bad, but discomfort is constant.  they said the only option was to fuse the two levels that are shot (C4-5 and C5-6) since there is also arthritis in the joint.  not gunna happen!  sorry, i rather enjoy being able to look around.....  plus, the stats on the surgery are less than confidence inspiring.

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 07:07:38 AM »

Randy Cuberly

Couldn't have said it better!
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 09:33:51 AM »

Randy Cuberly

Those who truly believe will never buy that

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 09:48:36 AM »
I have had three spinal fusions, multiple knee operations and one total knee replacement due to playing to much football when I was younger.  I had been reading some testimonials by people such as George Strait and the Boston Patriots player Grabowski (Spelling) about the use of CBD oil to relieve pain, anxiety and insomnia.  I started doing some research and contacting some people and found that there were some very close friends and family members who are using it and say that is has given them tremendous relief.  I have ordered some to try and will get back with you guys and let you know how it works.  I was really dubious about it but there are lots of testimonials about how well it works.  When you are in constant and chronic pain, you will explore a lot of options to get relief. 

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 01:07:51 PM »
Skip, have you been to Chyropracter yet.   The one I went to this year had X-rays taken   Said I should have come to him sooner    Spent this pring cutting bush nd trimming hedge for daughter and the Church.   Woke up and could not get out of bed.  Lower half of back in great pain.  After X-rays, found third disc up from bottom of spine is gone and vertebrae is fused together,   The next 2 discs below that are in bad shape with bone spurs coming of the vertebrae.   After several treatments I am able to do yard chores using a back brace.   I am almost ready to go try flying.  It has been over 2 months since last flight. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 01:19:22 PM »
What Dennis said.  Also, while there is a lot of physical discomfort in my 79 year old body, I'm enjoying my family, friends, and church family enough to like sticking around by just changing my activities to milder stuff and popping whatever the docs give me to help.  No, I'm not a druggie, but I love seeing these folks who mean so much to me.  That includes the guys and gals at the nats and the FCM.  Ya gotta luv those model people!!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 05:28:29 PM »

Randy Cuberly

Not enough Room here to lit what is or isn't working well. Today is my first anniversary of having my heart stop beating. A new Pace Maker solved that little episode! I relish each and envy day, doing what I Love most, with those that I love most!
Joe Just
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 06:06:18 PM »
Just for the record I feel Blessed with so many good things going for me,but I just wish the neck and arm pain would go away so I can go flying dammit!!!

Offline RK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 06:28:33 AM »
It sure does, But at 74 & a long list of "Bad Stuff" I can't fly anymore, I just love to keep building them! Never Give Up.

RK   y1                                 
If you come to a fork in the road,,,,Take it!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 08:37:18 AM »
Just for the record I feel Blessed with so many good things going for me,but I just wish the neck and arm pain would go away so I can go flying dammit!!!

When you tilt your head back a tad, bend your knees.

If you want detailed info, call me.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2019, 08:42:20 AM »
I have a saying that I have used for many years. "What doesn't hurt, doesn't work'  H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2019, 01:13:42 PM »
I have a saying that I have used for many years. "What doesn't hurt, doesn't work'  H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^
Then in my case everything must be working really well cause it sure does hurt!

Ken #^ :)! #^
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2019, 01:21:52 PM »
I've been lucky, I guess. That and having a wife who'd prefer vegan food, but pampers me with a bit of dead critter fairly often...

Other than occasional balance problem, rotator cuffs that click like a gypsy dancer's castanets and a bunion that adds 2 width sizes to my right foot, doing pretty well. Either these don't hurt anymore, or I've deadened out the pain nerves... OBTW, it's mostly balance, not dizziness. I've even learned to tuck and roll like Airborne, and don't bang anything if I do fall. On top of my feet mostly, except about once, mebbe twice over the course of a year...

Oh, and to lighten the "load" I took off about 40 lbs over the past two or three years, simply by eating less. It's not will power, it's "won't power!" Thinking about having a nice juicy, fatty snack? Just say to self, "No, I won't," and don't.

When we get old, we can't do as much, as well, as long or as often as when we were younger. BUT, we do have the fond memories... until they start to slip...

By the way, memory is the second thing to go. (Are going to bite and ask what the first thing is....?)
\BEST\LOU

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2019, 03:11:16 PM »
We have a friend on here who told me recently that, "If it doesn't hurt when I wake up, it's broke." ~^
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2019, 03:26:26 PM »
I am 79 and feel great most of the time.
EddyR
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2019, 04:28:01 PM »
Agree with everyone.
 Had leg surgery and as I type, just coming out of la la land - courtesy of Xanex, a powerful opiod.
 Folks in legitimate pain  may need  stuff, but how drug abusers can get anything out of this garbage totally escapes me. 
There is no euphoria, just mental suppression. And craving food.
Addiction needs to be reigned in, but afflicted folks can't control it.
Far too many young and middle age people are dying every day.

Sad. Sad . Sad.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 06:01:09 PM by Frank Imbriaco »

Offline John Watson

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2019, 04:42:26 PM »
79 until April then I hit the big 80. Sorry to hear about all the problems you guys have. I don't have any major problems just minor aches and pains. I still fly in the circle. Gave up RC and enjoy building C/L. I flew contests back in the sixties and seventies and that was a highlite of my life. I just like to go and fly , my wife sits in the shade and watches.

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2019, 06:37:02 AM »
Skip, I told you at our age all that exercise was bad for us. Hope you feel better. See you soon.

Rich

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2019, 07:07:05 AM »
don't even need to be old for that!  i'm 35 and have two herniated discs in my neck that cause radiating neck/arm/hand pain.  steroids, cortizone shots, and PT kinda help when it flares up really bad, but discomfort is constant.  they said the only option was to fuse the two levels that are shot (C4-5 and C5-6) since there is also arthritis in the joint.  not gunna happen!  sorry, i rather enjoy being able to look around.....  plus, the stats on the surgery are less than confidence inspiring.

Had that exact same issue. Had the surgery. Best thing I ever did. Gave me my life back, and can still bend head back and turn side to side. Not like it used to be, but better than the constant pain.

The technology is there. I walked in to the hospital at 7 am, walked out at 7 PM and never looked back. It works!!!

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2019, 09:55:58 AM »
Am I just lucky?  Or is it my genes?  Nothing wrong here.  And I'll be 86 in October.

My secret?  I don't eat cow, pork, or lamb.  No animal  with big brown eyes that look so sad.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2019, 04:36:06 PM »
Hey Skip, I have to agree that getting old isn't for sissies.  I can't remember when I woke up in the AM and something didn't hurt.  Just got to keep going, find a good sports doctor and keep moving.   It's not the same when your not flying with us.
Jim Vigani

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2019, 04:44:09 PM »
I wish I knew what getting old felt like.  ;D

High topspin, single handed backhand, and I make it look soooooooooo easy. LL~

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2019, 06:15:11 PM »
I wish I knew what getting old felt like.  ;D

High topspin, single handed backhand, and I make it look soooooooooo easy. LL~
Also one of the lowest percentage ground strokes.  A 2 hand from that height is much more effective and easier to control.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2019, 06:35:08 PM »
Also one of the lowest percentage ground strokes.  A 2 hand from that height is much more effective and easier to control.

Ken

Ken,

I've played tennis for 65 years and I taught tennis for over 40 years.

Sorry to say this, but you're incorrect. Talk to the right people and do some research and eventually you will agree with me. It will take time.

Oh, one more thing.

Many tennis instruction books use the phrase "wrist snap," in describing the service motion. Many books AND many instructors actually teach it.

With ATP level of play, there is no "wrist snap." There should be none at any level actually.

And those that believe both these falsehoods, there's nothing you can say to them.

Kinda like paint products and methods of finishing models.  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2019, 08:31:15 PM »
Ken,

Sorry to say this, but you're incorrect. Talk to the right people and do some research and eventually you will agree with me. It will take time.

Oh, one more thing.

Many tennis instruction books use the phrase "wrist snap," in describing the service motion. Many books AND many instructors actually teach it.

With ATP level of play, there is no "wrist snap." There should be none at any level actually.

And those that believe both these falsehoods, there's nothing you can say to them.

Not sure how "Wirst Snap" got into it but on that we can agree.  Pointless use of energy that is a carryover from the Australian Twist done wrong.   You can tell those that use it because their they hit a lot of second serves.

On the other I am going to hold my ground.  A high one handed topspin backhand is at best a defensive shot.  I suppose if you play at the ATP level you might be able to develop one, but why would you?  A two handed can be offensive.  I have been there and done that too so there is no need to talk to the right people.

Ken

AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 08:39:10 PM »
Ken,

Oh, one more thing.

Yeah, but this is a model airplane forum and you still can't build and fly a model and do the pattern. And as usual, hanger queens don't count n1 n1 n1 I still wonder how much CA it took to glue that ball to the racket for you to pose for the picture LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ I'll bet that's just one of those electric fly/bug swatter things that they sell at Harbor Freight!! LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
   And I've seen better legs on a table!!! LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2019, 09:18:23 PM »

Yeah, but this is a model airplane forum ......
Sorry, sometimes I just can't help myself.  It is part of getting old and it sucks!  My best friend in life was a great tennis player as well as a gifted modeler (mostly free flight but we are all allowed some sins).  He was my doubles partner in High School, College and a brief sting as club pro's.  He passed in 2011.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2019, 01:48:55 PM »
Yo Skip! Sorry to hear about your predicament! I quit playing competitive Ice Hockey at 53, and still miss it but after two complete knee replacements, two complete right shoulder replacements, one aortic valve replacement (thank you Mr. Pig) and most recently a right foot rebuild, which now requires $250.00 to 450.00 arthotic implements, I still enjoy flying Stunt! You too will return to the circle with God's help and a positive attitude! Keep the sunny side up and keep plugging away at what ever exercises are prescribed! You're too good a man to be kept down for long!

Best of Luck!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2019, 02:12:08 PM »
 Phil and Jim V. I've missed quite a few meets in the past 6 weeks or so and do miss all of you cats. The doctor put me on a cortisone pack (pills) and I'm feeling a bit better.I'll lay low for the rest of the year and try again next season. I will see all of you guys at the GSCB Flea Market in November. Peace ,Skip

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2019, 07:39:34 PM »

My sympathies Skip.  I can feel your pain.  I like to say that I don't mind getting old but I sure hate getting sick.  The only really noticeable "getting old" problems I have are some arthritis, cataracts, and some degeneration in the thumb joints.  The rest of the problems are diseases, mostly without clear cut causes- Crohn's-Ulcerative colitis, asthma since I was about 10, chronic bronchitis from pneumonia that's killed a lot of lung capacity, getting some deaf(probably from flying model planes), and some short term modest memory problems.

Keep on truckin'.  If thing don't get better they can only get worse.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here

Advertise Here