News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:35:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gerry Phelps - RIP  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Gerry Phelps - RIP
« on: September 19, 2021, 07:55:35 AM »
Just learned that Gerry Phelps has passed as of 7am this morning  Gerry was twice a member of the USA Team and a strong national competitor for several years.  In later years he was a regular at VSC, & Brodak as well as numerous midwestern meets.  Jerry's "Patriot" design is an RSM kit.

Above and beyond that Gerry and his wife Merry were two of the nicest and funniest people you would ever get to meet.  They were true life partners and role models for the rest of us.

This just happened a few hours ago, so no arrangements have been made.

Please remember Gerry & Merry and their family in your prayers...

EDIT:
Obituary, arrangements, and memorials posted at: https://www.behmfuneral.com/obituaries/Gerald-Jerry-R-Phelps?obId=22403563#/obituaryInfo
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 07:27:30 AM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: Gerry Phelps - RIP
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 09:07:06 AM »
Wow, this really hits close to home, folks!  Got to spend many hours at their home years ago on Saturday evenings during the Cleveland contest weekends for several years.  Denny, you are right when you say they were/are great role models for us!  He will be missed, big time.  :'(
God's best to Merry, may He richly bless her.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 10:11:47 AM »
Team Phelps : Two of the nicest people in the hobby!

Goodbye, Gerry.
De Hill

Offline Kim Doherty

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 10:47:35 AM »
Many trips to the Muncie and Cleveland contests. Food and incredible hospitality at Gerry and Merry’s. Building and repair sessions downstairs. Such open, warm and caring people. Gerry was a great pilot/competitor, skilled builder, had a great sense of humour and was truly a great man. He will truly be missed.
My condolences to Merry and her family.

Kim

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 04:05:21 PM »
So sad to hear. I knew him from numerous Nationals and VSC's. Great person to know. Enjoyed what time we had together.
Condolences to the family.

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 09:14:03 PM »
Gerry always had a kind word and a good joke to tell.  A truly fine man.  He used to bake pies to share.  He will be greatly missed.

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 09:39:05 PM »
Gerry was a class act Marry and Gerry was truly great role models for sure. Spent some good times at there home.
and like some enjoyed those pies.
Prayer for the family

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 04:39:02 AM »
A really nice fellow. Gerry was a prolific baker, too. We talked about baking pies (and just a little bit about airplanes) at Brodaks. His wife so pleasant, would join in and tease him. He'll be missed.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 06:25:18 AM »
Merry and Gerry's place in Parma(?), prior to their move to the country, had a 9' ceiling in the basement. Merry explained that it was the key requirement when they were looking.

Their country place had a 9' ceiling as a spec.

Merry was absolutely supportive of his modeling.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 07:11:54 AM »
One of the all time greats of our sport is gone. Gerry was not only a gifted pilot and builder, he was also one of the best ever ambassadors for the sport. His quiet and humble demeanor endeared him to all who ever met him. And, he was a friend to everyone he ever met.

Some years ago my wife, Marianne and I spent a weekend at the Phelps' home. Gerry delighted in showing off his amazing workshop and especially noted the high ceiling in the shop. He was a craftsman of the very first order, and made lots of gorgeous wooden things besides airplanes.

Marianne's and my condolences go out to Merry, for the loss of her life partner and her best friend.

Rest now in God's Good Peace brother. The baked goods in heaven just got a lot better...

Bob
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 08:10:09 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 11:31:19 AM »
What can the old DOC say other than I was very fortunate to have met them.  Another of my heroes gone. :(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 05:57:08 AM »
Sorry to hear this sad news. Jerry was a life long member of the Northcoast Controlliners, our heartfelt condolences to his wife Merry

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 11:58:44 AM »
Gerry - everyone's friend!
We'll miss him.

Bob Z.

Offline Roy DeCamara

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 01:33:33 PM »
I met Gerry many years ago at the VSC in Tucson.  Gerry flew clockwise.  I also fly clockwise, but certainly not with the proficiency that Gerry did.  Anyway, I think that was the catalyst for us forming a friendship.  My wife Joan, and Merry also became good friends.  We all hung out together.  Gerry and Merry visited us in Tucson and one year they made a trip to the Northwest and visited with us here in Washington.

Several years ago, while during a VSC, Gerry offered me a partially built Blackbird he had been working on.  His deteriorating health had forced him to give up building. He said I could have the Blackbird if I wanted it, and if I felt like finishing it sometime, that would be nice and if I never got around to finishing the model, that was okay too.

A couple of years or so went by.  I became aware that Gerry's health was deteriorating and decided I should get busy and finish the Blackbird.  I took pictures of my progress with the Blackbird and sent pictures and comments via email to Gerry every so often.  I'd hope those few moments might give him some relief from his illness.  Merry would bring up the pictures and comments for Gerry to see.  Over that winter in Tucson I completed the Blackbird.

The final picture I sent Gerry was the Blackbird on the circle with the motor running.  I titled the picture,  On the tarmac ready for takeoff.

Gerry has made it to the tarmac and taken off on his final flight.  He has left the pain and suffering behind.  I will miss you my friend. 

Maybe one day I will fly the Blackbird again and I will salute you Gerry. Thank you for your friendship. Your pal,

Roy DeCamara

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2021, 08:12:44 PM »
I am so saddened by this news. Gerry and Mary were great friends to all who knew them. He helped me with my first ever adventure into Judging Stunt of any variety and was very helpful. They truly had a joint precious sense of humor which I found delightful! The World of Stunt is diminished profoundly by his passing. Sondra and I send our deepest sympathy.

Sincerely,

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 04:35:44 PM »
Jerry was a much loved member of Cleveland's North Coast Controlliners. I met him at one of the first meetings I attended at Wayne Buran's house, where he showed us his newly re-created "Patriot." At that time I didn't know that he had flown this plane at the World Championships with Bill Werwage, but I marveled at his exquisite workmanship. Not long after this, in 2002, I made the trip to Tucson for VSC-14 and marveled at his flying ability. The "Patriot" took the Concours award, as his and bill's models occupied the front row. Gerry was  generous and caring, giving me two Sky Rays to use for practice - which I did at that time. They suffered the fates of all such planes used for training, each being repaired multiple times, until the last (red) one bit the dust once too often. After it had languished in a box for over a decade, and I had built some of my own designs, I guess I got a bit sentimental and re-built it. I'm still flying Jerry's (or was this one Merry's?) Sky Ray and think of him every time I take it up. It flies fine, even if I don't. Even in poor health that interfered with his ability, he looked awfully good to me out there in his less frequent appearances at our field. The pictures are of Jerry and Bill at VSC-14, Jerry at VSC in 2016 (not my photo), Jerry and Merry at our field in 2014, and the red SkyRay that Jerry gave me, after I rebuilt it.

If you see this, Merry, please accept my heartfelt condolences and thanks for your friendship.

Edit: The two last pictures (Restored "SkyRay" and Jerry's "Patriot" were supposed to have been sequenced, but somehow were left out.

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2021, 04:30:17 PM »
Just found out about the passing of Gerry yesterday. Made me sad. I was fortunate to have known him and held him in high regard. Gonna miss him at the contests. I marveled at his building talent. He was a very good guy. Blessings to Mary in her loss.
AMA 33676

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here