News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:37:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Geoff Higgs  (Read 805 times)

Offline Kim Doherty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Geoff Higgs
« on: May 18, 2023, 07:13:59 PM »
Geoffrey "Geoff" A. Higgs

Geoff passed away peacefully at Oakwood Park Lodge on May 4, 2023, in his 90th year. Born in Southport, England December 6, 1933, Geoff moved to Canada in 1968. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Constance (1979), and is survived by his second wife, Betty Higgs. Geoff was a hardworking man who loved his family deeply. He worked as a Machinist and Millwright at Fleet Canada and ended his career in 1996 at General Abrasives. He was also a passionate model plane builder and flyer. Geoff won the British Gold Cup in 1965 and was the Canadian Champion many times, often representing Canada in World Championships across the globe. Additionally, he had a love for riding motorcycles and fixing them up.

I was fortunate to know Geoff for for his last forty years. He was a kind, generous and humorous man. One day as I was getting better at flying stunt, a plane appeared and along with it a superb Super Tiger .46. I could never have afforded that back then nor could I have produced it. As time went by another model and another engine and treasured advice. I travelled with Geoff to two World Championships.

Geoff was a fine man, a good friend and will be missed by many. 

Goodbye my friend.

Kim

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Geoff Higgs
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 07:20:28 AM »
I met Geoff several times at contests.  Enjoyed our chats but always in an on the field setting.  He was a strong mentor for Canadian Stunt flyers, several of whom he took with him on the Canadian WC Teams.  Only learned of his Gold Cup much later on.  I will miss no getting to know him better.  Fair winds & Tight Lines...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Leonard Bourel

• Lieutenant
Re: Geoff Higgs
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 06:40:09 PM »
I remember the first time I met Geoff Higgs, and it was not a pleasant experience.  I was at my first contest at the Canadian National Exhibition in 1978.  I was very green and did not know the protocols in the pit area etc., and I walked through Geoff's lines; and he lost it on me (for good reason).  At the time, I did not see the big deal in it. However, he did not hold it against me, and I just stayed away from him.  A couple of years later when he noticed that I had not gone away he was always friendly to me and treated me like one of the stunt guys.  As the years went by, Geoff's knowledge about props, motors, trimming, and just stunt in general became invaluable to me.  We ended up becoming close friends.  He did many motor modifications for me and helped me get some of the best stunt runs I have ever gotten.  The customary payment for his work was usually a case of his favorite beer.  I now have many motors modified by Geoff, and they still all run great.  I have one of his oldest stunt planes which is his Blue Jay jet style model; which was probably built in the late 1970s or early 1980s.  I am hoping to fly it in a few weeks at the Toronto & District Control Line Championships in memory of Geoff. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here