News:

• April 19, 2024, 07:13:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gentleman James (Jim) Lynch, UPDATE: Celebration of Life Services  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Louis Rankin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
These kind of posts are never easy to publish.  It is with a sad and distraught heart that I inform the members of Stunt Hangar that Jim Lynch passed away yesterday afternoon.  He had been battling prostate and bone cancer for several years.

I have no information on arrangements or preferred sentiments.  Will post that information as soon as it is made available.

Jim was loved by all who had the pleasure to meet him.  He loved God, family, friends, fishing, and finishing model airplanes.  His presence and sage advice will be greatly missed.

The James D. Lynch Celebration of Life will be Saturday, March 18th at the Cherry Road Baptist Church, 1421 Cherry Road, Memphis, TN 38117.  Visitation starts at 1pm with the Memorial Service starting at 2pm.

In lieu of flowers you may send donations in Jim’s name to the Prostate Cancer Foundation.  Cards may be sent to Joann Lynch and Family, 1249 West Perkins, Memphis, TN 38117.

There are many people that knew and loved Jim very personally.  I spent all day Friday contacting those on the list given to me.  I do sincerely hope that no one felt left out if they were not personally notified.  In all my life I never met a man who was so genuinely loved by so many people.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 07:45:35 PM by Louis Rankin »
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Gentleman James (Jim) Lynch
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 10:30:49 AM »
These kind of posts are never easy to publish.  It is with a sad and distraught heart that I inform the members of Stunt Hangar that Jim Lynch passed away yesterday afternoon.  He had been battling prostate and bone cancer for several years.

I have no information on arrangements or preferred sentiments.  Will post that information as soon as it is made available.

Jim was loved by all who had the pleasure to meet him.  He loved God, family, friends, fishing, and finishing model airplanes.  His presence and sage advice will be greatly missed.

I could not put it any better. Jim's loss is a big hole in life that will be difficult to fill. No words are really adequate.
      R.I.P Jim,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 10:40:35 AM »
Well done Lou. Jim will be missed.
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 11:08:08 AM »
I knew Jim from going to contests in the past and he was an extremely good person and always willing to talk about anything.  I am very saddened to hear this. 

Mike

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 01:41:08 PM »
This is very sad news. I met Jim at my first Brodak contest and always look forward to reuniting with him. He was a great gentle man.

Rest in peace Jim
Tim Stagg

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 02:04:04 PM »
I first met Jim Lynch at the 1972 King Orange Internats in Jacksonville, Florida. He was flying what I believe was the first of his very original Volunteer series of Stunt models. The next time I saw Jim was at the 1974 Nats in Lake Charles, and he was again flying a Volunteer. Only this time he was really flying it. Jim had improved dramatically in the two years between those contests, and he continued to improve for the next several years. His models were always immaculate in building quality and in finish. I'll never forget his gorgeous Al Rabe-designed Bearcat at the 1976 Nats. He placed a very credible 6th that year against some very stiff competition. I know that he was very proud of that placing.

Jim and I became good friends in those years, and we kept in touch ever since. I last spoke with Jim a few weeks ago, and  he seemed to be in a very good place. He knew his days were numbered, but in typical Jim Lynch fashion he just wanted to know what I was doing and what I was building. He loved model airplanes, but he loved people even more. And, he loved all people. Jim had a very deep faith in God and in Jesus Christ, and I know that he is with them now. And, if there is a flying field in heaven, the quality of the models there just went up significantly.

Godspeed Jim Lynch, you were one of a kind.

Bob Hunt

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 03:02:09 PM »
Ouch.  Never met or talked with Jim, but found a photo of one of his Volunteers several years ago and still have it.  Everything I've seen him photographed with is visually stunning.

Condolences to his family and friends, best wishes for great flying weather every day now.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023, 03:09:25 PM »
He was my coach and Mentor, but most of all he was my friend. He taught me a lot about this great hobby and more about life.
He and Momma Jo are like family to me.
He is in Gods hands now.
And today was his birthday. 😢
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2023, 03:56:37 PM »
So sad he has left us.  His last Nats 2018.
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2023, 04:51:55 PM »
Wonderful man ,he will be missed ,love to mama Jo and family.
Joe Gilbert

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2023, 04:58:02 PM »
Such sad news. First net Jim and his "Volunteer" at the '74 NATs. Saw Jim several times ove the years, at the NATs, at Brodak, at a Team Trials and other meets.  Always a perfect gentleman with an enthusiastic outlook and strong supporting instinct.  Last talked to him last fall, while he was in the middle of his final ordeal, but you would have never guessed it from the way he sounded.

God speed, fair winds and tight lines my friend...

EDIT: Larry Fruits asked me to post these photos of Jim & friends...
* File JL1 is Jim & JoAnn Lynch with Charles & Nancy Reeves
* File JL2 is Jim handing Sam Londke his first(?) Stunt Trophy
* File JL3 is Jim with good buddy Paul Taylor
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 07:35:31 AM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Kreth

• Lieutenant
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2023, 05:57:05 PM »
Have missed flying with Jim since we moved from Collierville.  Have talked to him on the phone a couple of times,but haven’t seen him in 3 or 4 years.  He will be missed by all who ever met him.  Godspeed!
Kreth McKee AMA 22004

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2023, 07:46:05 PM »
Only got to meet Jim at El Dorado in 2016,  it he was an absolute gentleman, really enjoyed the time I got to spend with him! Really sad to read this!
Matt Colan

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2023, 08:14:25 PM »
Awww, man, this hurts!  I first met Jim when I helped judge appearance at the nats and immediately knew him as a great person and friend.  Prayers for the family, including SH family of his!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2023, 12:20:41 PM »
It is sad to hear this news.  I can't remember meeting him but have read a lot about him and his planes.  yes he will be missed but is in a better place. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2023, 02:25:19 PM »
I met Jim the last two times they had the Paducah contest.

I think it was the first year I was there that I briefly watched Jim build a whole new rudder (in place) on a Nobler for someone who had come to the contest.  It was on Friday and I'm guessing the engine on the Nobler quit inverted with insufficient speed and/or altitude to get back upright. 

Anyway, in Charlie Reeves' basement, it was a marvel to behold Jim rebuild the rudder from some of Charlie's scrap balsa faster than I could have built one from a lazer cut kit.   But more importantly, it showed his character.   He threw himself into helping someone else be able to fly the next day at the contest.  In my brief interaction with Jim, it was readily apparent that that was just the kind of guy he was and would have done the same for anybody.

Rest in peace, Jim.

Joe Ed Pederson

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
Re: Gentleman James (Jim) Lynch, UPDATE: Celebration of Life Services
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2023, 07:58:30 PM »

The James D. Lynch Celebration of Life will be Saturday, March 18th at the Cherry Road Baptist Church, 1421 Cherry Road, Memphis, TN 38117.  Visitation starts at 1pm with the Memorial Service starting at 2pm.

In lieu of flowers you may send donations in Jim’s name to the Prostate Cancer Foundation.  Cards may be sent to Joann Lynch and Family, 1249 West Perkins, Memphis, TN 38117.

There are many people that knew and loved Jim very personally.  I spent all day Friday contacting those on the list given to me.  I do sincerely hope that no one felt left out if they were not personally notified.  In all my life I never met a man who was so genuinely loved by so many people.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline goozgog

• Captain
Re: Gentleman James (Jim) Lynch, UPDATE: Celebration of Life Services
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2023, 06:09:15 AM »
Jim was a bright spirit.

-K.
Keith Morgan

Offline Louis Rankin