News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:24:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gemini III by Archie Adamisin  (Read 4288 times)

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Gemini III by Archie Adamisin
« on: March 07, 2021, 07:25:37 PM »
Does anyone have photos of Archie Adamisin’s Gemini III in its Chicopee MA paint scheme.  I am building a Gemini III that I acquired from the Walt Menges estate and I wish to make mine a clone.
Tom McClain

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Gemini III by Archie Adamisin
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 08:07:54 PM »
ARGHH , but WHAT is its ' CHICOPEE ' Paint Scheme .  :-X  %^@ other than wotit woreat Chicopee , asin whadar the colours / layout .

Heresa stary red white & blue one, anyway .

https://stunthanger.com/smf/stunt-design/hey-adamisin-gang-sparky-tell-us-bout'-these-two-beautiful-models/msg153274/#msg153274

AND , is there a Gemini one & two , or is Gemini Three it, as far as Adamisin Geminies go ,  :-\ .

Er , o.k.

"
The White V-Tail is my Gemini MKI that was new for the 1989 Tri-Cities Nats.  I took 2nd to Nat Gifford that year, & the following year in Vincennes, and then the following year to Todd Lee in Vincennes.  I also got 2nd in Vincennes with it flying in Advanced to Jose Modesto I think???

It was published in Flying Models August 1991.  I was lucky enough to make the cover with it.

Specs:

Wing Span 63"
Wing Area 620 sq in
Fuse Length 44.5"
Stab Dihedral 120 deg
RTF Weight 51 ounces

Powered by a Big Art & Dave Adamisin Modified OS FP 40.

Model flew on 63' lines and flew @ 5.6 sec/lap.  It was a great flying model and still flies to this day.  Still has an FP 40 in it.  Would make an excellent electric conversion as it is a very clean model and builds light.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana "

Unless its a Gemini Three Mk One .  :-X VD~

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 08:11:37 PM »
Furthertoo & Insofar .

Justaswell someoneelse isinto the High A/R stuff too , inenoughto lookem up .  H^^

https://stunthanger.com/smf/stunt-design/arch-adamisin's-tri-canard/msg71141/#msg71141

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 08:21:28 PM »
nutheronehere halfwaydown , icantgetto thingo . Itll ' go big ' theretho , ifyouclickonit .

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/never-seen-this-plane-b4/msg244781/#msg244781

OOOOHHHH KAAYYY < I GOT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bills in the mail .  S?P H^^

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 08:42:51 PM »
The flag motif is the one. Any photos of the underside? Thanks.
Tom McClain

Online James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 10:30:51 AM »
A bit of clarification.   the last pic with the blue car is of Todd Lee's Gemini.  Note the different AMA #.    He said that was KOI 97.   
Jim

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 04:38:37 PM »
Here is the bottom.  Hard to believe the kit is still around that I made for Walt.  That's pretty cool.  Damn who is that young kid?  Ugh....

Enjoy!! 

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 05:07:13 PM »
Here is the bottom.  Hard to believe the kit is still around that I made for Walt.  That's pretty cool.  Damn who is that young kid?  Ugh....

Enjoy!! 

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Hope I can do it justice for Walt. We lost him a couple of years ago here in Phoenix. The club helped his widow liquidate his collection.

By the way, do you and Dennis have any mufflers left for 40 and up engines.
Tom McClain

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 06:46:55 PM »

Enjoy!! 

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Oh boy, that anhedral tail is tres bien! can you elaborate how you did it? Also, does that thing have plug in wings?
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 06:29:36 AM »
Oh boy, that anhedral tail is tres bien! can you elaborate how you did it? Also, does that thing have plug in wings?

Thanks for the kind words.  The Gemini 3 has plug in wings.  Used a 1" 0.030 wall 6061 t6 aluminum tube.  The andedral was 15 degrees down because that is what cleared the bottom of the fuse.  Alignment was zero deg incidence and square with airframe.  I used a slider horn with 1/8 x 1/4 brass rectangle tubing in the elevators.  I used light ply hard points to glue in the brass tubing.  Worked nicely.  Model flew very well despite its porky weight.  18 yo trying to put on killer finish (19points that year) didnt keep track of the weight.  Oops.  With a little wind it flew well.  Long lines also helped it. 

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 05:27:51 PM »
Now that is one damn pretty airplane. I don't usually go for "stars and Stripes" (Being a Brit). But that's F*kin beautiful.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 08:46:20 PM »
These Adamisins are pretty quick , I was gunna throw ' Thats all very well , But NOW you need to figure the Underside ' , but was beaten to the punch. Line .  ???

Would be good to see a bit of a build thread , on this. some photos of components etc , & drawing ? . pretty rare so  the opertunity shouldnt be missed . H^^

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 06:03:21 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  The Gemini 3 has plug in wings.  Used a 1" 0.030 wall 6061 t6 aluminum tube.  The andedral was 15 degrees down because that is what cleared the bottom of the fuse.  Alignment was zero deg incidence and square with airframe.  I used a slider horn with 1/8 x 1/4 brass rectangle tubing in the elevators.  I used light ply hard points to glue in the brass tubing.  Worked nicely.  Model flew very well despite its porky weight.  18 yo trying to put on killer finish (19points that year) didnt keep track of the weight.  Oops.  With a little wind it flew well.  Long lines also helped it. 

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Wow Archie, that's a lot to digest and only begs more questions! So if you had a tube spar, where did the bellcrank live?
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 08:27:33 AM »

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Here is my rendition of the Gemini III from the kit you made Walt Menges. It will have a ST 51 with Lucky boxes for the elevators.  It should be done by the middle of April in the same paint scheme as yours.
Tom McClain

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2021, 09:12:22 AM »
Wow Archie, that's a lot to digest and only begs more questions! So if you had a tube spar, where did the bellcrank live?

Bellcrank was mounted in tube.  Big Art machined custom half moons and a slot in the tube.  The bellcrank went inside the tube and a 5/32" brass tube kept.it from crushing.  There are then mounts or hard points glued I to the fuse that a 5-40 bolt goes through and secures the assembly into the fuse.  Was very robust.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2021, 09:13:28 AM »
Here is my rendition of the Gemini III from the kit you made Walt Menges. It will have a ST 51 with Lucky boxes for the elevators.  It should be done by the middle of April in the same paint scheme as yours.

Great work on the model.  Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Dave Adamisin

• 2020 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2021, 09:38:29 AM »
Looks good Tom. Nice to see another going together. It was always one of my faves from our family..
Thyme is money - on roasted potatoes

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2021, 07:02:33 PM »
Looks good Tom. Nice to see another going together. It was always one of my faves from our family..

Up on its legs.  Canopy is from Dave Rees T-38a.
Tom McClain

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2021, 09:14:52 PM »
Looks good Tom!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2021, 10:28:05 PM »
Thanks for the pictures. Now were trying to figure out what make your car is, and wether you should do a matching paint job, on it . H^^

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2021, 10:57:54 PM »
Thanks for the pictures. Now were trying to figure out what make your car is, and wether you should do a matching paint job, on it . H^^

It is my wife’s Escape.
Tom McClain

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2021, 04:50:55 PM »
Here is the latest on my Gemini III.
Tom McClain

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2021, 06:08:05 PM »
Carbon fiber veil on the fuselage and paper on the wings?  Really nice contours!

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2021, 08:20:25 PM »
Carbon fiber veil on the fuselage and paper on the wings?  Really nice contours!

Thought you all might like it. Talc and dope next followed by randofil, sanding and then silver base. Then masking for white, then blue, followed by red, then clear.
Tom McClain

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2021, 06:17:44 AM »
Not familiar with Randofil.  Assume it is from Randolf's?  Any compatibility problems?  You'll be using Randolf's dope also?

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2021, 06:30:30 AM »
Not familiar with Randofil.  Assume it is from Randolf's?  Any compatibility problems?  You'll be using Randolf's dope also?

Yes, it is the higher solids silver primer by Randolph and no compatibility problems.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 12:09:05 PM by Tom McClain »
Tom McClain

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2021, 09:13:03 AM »
The Gemini III Arizona edition is done. 68 oz, 18 % CG, ST 51, Rev Up 12/5, 660 sq in. It flies on Tuesday.
Tom McClain

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2021, 10:53:09 AM »

Awsome looking plane. Very nice........Gene

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2021, 06:55:59 PM »
Very Nicely Done .

Should haul full length lines O.K. with that G 51 .

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2021, 02:30:44 PM »
Well success so far.  Three flights this morning at Friendship park in Avondale, AZ. First two flights rich run, 6.5 seconds lap time on 63 foot eye to eye on .018 lines. Outboard wing 1 to 2 degrees high but decent line tension even at 45 degree line. Excellent corner with 5 inch hot rock handle. 3rd flight slightly fast, 5.1 second lap time with heavy line tension.  Went 7 plus minutes on 6 ounces of fuel GMA 10/22. Went inverted several times and flew around 20 laps then upright with 3 loops hitting my prop wing wash. Calm air today. Forgot to walk backwards. Landings and takeoffs were excellent especially after adjusting the handle.

Thursday will richen the needle, add 1/2 to 1 second to lap time and add 1/2 ounce of tip weight for nearly 2 total. Might be able to do the pattern on the 5th or 6 th flight.

Archie, you made a winner!
Tom McClain

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2021, 08:36:53 PM »
Well success so far.  Three flights this morning at Friendship park in Avondale, AZ. First two flights rich run, 6.5 seconds lap time on 63 foot eye to eye on .018 lines. Outboard wing 1 to 2 degrees high but decent line tension even at 45 degree line. Excellent corner with 5 inch hot rock handle. 3rd flight slightly fast, 5.1 second lap time with heavy line tension.  Went 7 plus minutes on 6 ounces of fuel GMA 10/22. Went inverted several times and flew around 20 laps then upright with 3 loops hitting my prop wing wash. Calm air today. Forgot to walk backwards. Landings and takeoffs were excellent especially after adjusting the handle.

Thursday will richen the needle, add 1/2 to 1 second to lap time and add 1/2 ounce of tip weight for nearly 2 total. Might be able to do the pattern on the 5th or 6 th flight.

Archie, you made a winner!

Great flight report.  Yours is lighter than my original.  I was at 73ozs.  FP 40 spinning a 10.5 x 5 3 blade Eather Prop. 63ft lines and a 5.4 to 5.5 sec lap. 

It flies better with a bit of wind.  I'd also suggest maybe a bit longer lines to give more room for this big model.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences. 

Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2021, 06:43:13 AM »
63" wingspan, 73 ounces, and an FP-40?  Brave man!

I'm not sure I'd want to run anything less than a 51 in that!

Beautiful airplane - both the original and Tom's build!

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2021, 12:17:39 PM »
I now have seven flights on the Gemini. The seventh flight is the best and I have finally got the super tiger 51 close to its optimal rpm. Lap time is still 5.9, a little slow. I believe the next flight will be the best.
Tom McClain

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2021, 09:14:39 AM »
Lap time is still 5.9, a little slow.

Maybe go from the 12-5 to a 12-6 to decrease that lap time?  5.9 seconds sounds slow.

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2021, 12:18:05 PM »
Maybe go from the 12-5 to a 12-6 to decrease that lap time?  5.9 seconds sounds slow.

I am going to try a 12/6 2 blade CF Modusa.
Tom McClain

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2021, 02:35:01 PM »
  On the models that I have a ST G.51 mounted in, the best prop I have found so far is the APC 12.25-3.75. That will let you spin  up the RPM to get into the real HP range and help with any wind-up in the wind.  Is it really only doing a 5.9 second lap with a 5 and 6 inch prop? I think I am usually in the 65 foot range, center of handle to centerline of the model with weights in the 65 ounce range to 72 ounces.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2021, 06:11:08 PM »
With the G-51 , stock - you get about 3/4 turn between a solid 4 stroke & a solid two stroke .

Ive found the reliable way from zero , is to wind it till its in the solid two stroke , then back 1/4 turn . On something like a 12 x 5 top flite wood .

The 11 1/2 X 5 1/2 Bolly 3 blade, a bit richer for a more relaxed run - less two strokeing . Usually use muffler pressure .

The First, on a 10 x 6 Tornado Black 3 blade , you can fine toon it for ' the switch ' from halfway up ( & down ) the loops , through to 1/2 way through the upper loops , in a 70 Oz plane .
The Bolly it'd just be nibbling the 2 stroke , in places .

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2021, 08:53:16 PM »
  On the models that I have a ST G.51 mounted in, the best prop I have found so far is the APC 12.25-3.75. That will let you spin  up the RPM to get into the real HP range and help with any wind-up in the wind.  Is it really only doing a 5.9 second lap with a 5 and 6 inch prop? I think I am usually in the 65 foot range, center of handle to centerline of the model with weights in the 65 ounce range to 72 ounces.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

5.9 yes. 65 foot from handle to plane center. Even at this speed, fun to fly. Tomorrow 5.5 is the goal.
Tom McClain

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2021, 10:57:28 PM »
5.9 yes. 65 foot from handle to plane center. Even at this speed, fun to fly. Tomorrow 5.5 is the goal.

Just curious what your take off RPM is, if you are using a tach?  Good luck with the test flying.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2021, 09:00:15 PM »
      Just curious what your take off RPM is, if you are using a tach?  Good luck with the test flying.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Takeoff RPM was 10 five, and I changed the prop to a stalker medusa 12 six which actually measures 12 5 to 12 5 1/4.  The ST 51 had a nice growl with a superb 2 4 break. Only got one flight on the plane today but it was very successful with lap time at 5.2. Corners were crisp, no problem with the vertical, and can’t wait to fly it again on Saturday. Make that Thursday.The reason the only one flight, was I caught my wife’s 24 hour flu bug and I could feel it just as I was starting up the flight. So I spent most of the day in fact all the day at home on my recliner or in bed feeling like the dog’s hind end.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:54:37 AM by Tom McClain »
Tom McClain

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2021, 09:06:23 AM »
   Thanks for the update, hope you are feeling better. I would be interested in the details on the engine set up to be able to pull that much prop, and is the prop 2 blade or three?  Venturi size,  muffler type and running pressure or suction?
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2021, 09:24:49 AM »
   Thanks for the update, hope you are feeling better. I would be interested in the details on the engine set up to be able to pull that much prop, and is the prop 2 blade or three?  Venturi size,  muffler type and running pressure or suction?
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee

2 blade, tongue muffler with litttle obstruction, suction, 6 oz. GRW uniflow tank, 11/64 sprinkler Venturi with Randy  Smith NVA.
Tom McClain

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2021, 05:54:27 PM »
Takeoff RPM was 10 five, and I changed the prop to a stalker medusa 12 six which actually measures 12 5 to 12 5 1/4.  The ST 51 had a nice growl with a superb 2 4 break. Only got one flight on the plane today but it was very successful with lap time at 5.2. Corners were crisp, no problem with the vertical, and can’t wait to fly it again on Saturday. Make that Thursday.The reason the only one flight, was I caught my wife’s 24 hour flu bug and I could feel it just as I was starting up the flight. So I spent most of the day in fact all the day at home on my recliner or in bed feeling like the dog’s hind end.

Flew it again today. Tach at 10.1, lap time 5.5, flew great. 8 flights so far and with practice I could compete with it.
Tom McClain

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2021, 09:33:12 PM »
2 blade, tongue muffler with litttle obstruction, suction, 6 oz. GRW uniflow tank, 11/64 sprinkler Venturi with Randy  Smith NVA.

Hi Tom;
    Thanks for the update and details. Good luck with the trimming process.
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2021, 09:22:49 AM »

Flew it again Saturday once. Tach at 10.0, lap time 5.6, flew great again. 9 flights now. Still suffering from the 24 hour bug and can only manage one flight without feeling the rubbery leg effect. But love how it flies. Recommend it to all.
Tom McClain

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here