News:

• May 06, 2024, 05:56:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Maui C/L flyers?  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
Maui C/L flyers?
« on: September 25, 2008, 07:00:14 PM »
Posted this on another forum, but thought I'd also post it here for the friendlier folks.  ;D

We are considering a future move to Maui, and wonder if there is any control line activity there?

A check of the weather history indicates nearly perfect flying weather, with almost constant winds of 10 to 15 mph, and year round warm temperatures we can only dream about here in the NW.

Other than living on the slopes of a volcano, and the high cost of living, are there any other negative aspects to consider?

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Maui C/L flyers?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 07:30:56 PM »
Contact Mike Wada at jwada(at)aloha(dot)net.

mk
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 08:35:13 PM »
Bill the only bad thing is no more NW Fireballs. :'(
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 09:15:39 AM »
I was on Hawai'i near Keauhou Bay last fall and stopped to watch some guys flying controline at a park. Unlike communist Washington, these guys were flying at a park next to some guys playing soccer. Everybody seemed to be pretty happy. No cops waiting to run them off. They were flying a Ringmaster with an LA25 and probably put up 5 flights while we were there. I talked to a couple of guys and they said that they came out a couple of times a week and flew. Nice guys.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 10:49:13 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for the contact info. I'll send him an email later today.

Paul,

Your right, I'd sure miss the great guys at Delta Park.  :-[

We still have close family ties here in Portland, and they are the reason we are hesitant to move.

Ty,

Thanks for the info. The high cost of living there is a serious concern, since we are on a fixed income.

Fortunately, my grandson and his father build homes on Maui, and are looking at property for us.

Randy,

Thanks, that is good news! Must be some interest in C/L there, in spite of the shortage of hobby shops.

I've already found a shooting range there, so my other hobby won't be neglected (collecting, shooting, and reloading
mostly handguns).

Bill

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 02:11:47 PM »
Bill,

While I realize you will be on Maui and not Da Big Island, I thought it boded well at least. While on Maui, check out Kama'ole area. When I was there a number of years ago, there were some guys flying at a park across the street from the beach.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Ron Hook

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 04:12:05 PM »
Bill,

My wife and I spent a week in Maui this past April. We were there as gasoline prices hit the $4 a gallon level. The first in the islands at that time. We stayed in a condo so we decided to buy some food to cook some meals instead of eating out all the time. My wife could not believe the cost of items. If I remember correctly, a normal size box of Cheerios was close to $7.00! We talked to some locals about this and other things regarding the cost of living, and they said that things were always inceasing as far as cost. Keep in mind, that EVERYTHING just about as to be imported to the islands and the cost of transporting things around the world will continue to get more costly because of the price of oil.

If you are looking to move just because of weather, have you thought about splitting the seasons in half and spending time in the winter where it is nice and then the balance where you live now. I live in Arizona where about 7 months of the year are great, especially those winter months. You might want to think about just trying it here in the winter by renting a place for 2 or 3 months and giving it a try. You maybe should contact all the CL guys that live in the Tucson area and get some advice from them.

Ron Hook
Goodyear, AZ
Ron Hook
Goodyear, AZ

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 05:15:08 PM »
Randy,

Matter of fact, my grandson lives just a few blocks from the Kamaole beach area!  #^

They are looking at property with two houses on it, not far from their present home.

My wife spent a couple weeks with them last year, and absolutely loves it there.  We are both going to Kihei next month (Thanksgiving) for a couple of weeks.

Hi Ron,

Yes, we have considered snow birding as well.

We were stationed in NM with the USAF (Holloman AFB) for over twelve years, and do like the SW weather. A swamp cooler kept things pretty comfortable most of the time.

Bill

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 02:08:08 PM »
One note on costs. If it's produced on the Islands, the cost is reasonable. It it has to be imported, it gets expensive. Coffee, beef, local fruits and many vegetables are pretty inexpensive (Believe it or not, the Big Island has one of the biggest cattle ranches in the world). But other things can get expensive (like a box of cereal).
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 06:23:43 PM »
Costs be damned....the memory of Kauai seems to be exerting a magnetic influence here.

mk
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 08:16:28 PM »
The few days that the wife and I spent in Kona, Hawaii almost convinced us to move to the islands.  While on the helicoptor tour I noticed a lot of flying sites away from the coastal area.  We did have dinner at one of the big ranches(2000 acres) and watching the sunset above the clouds.  The people were friendly and we found the almost perfect beach for swimming called Magic Sands.  If I remember right Maui is just a short boat ride away.  Did not get to the hobby shop that I saw the sign from the highway.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 09:39:39 PM »
Mike,

>>Costs be damned....the memory of Kauai seems to be exerting a magnetic influence here.<<

Uh, you don know that it rains a lot on Kauai, don't you. I mean really a lot. Like it competes with someplace in Africa regularly for being the wettest place on earth kind of rain. Like an average rainfall of 460 inches a year. I've been there 3 times. Twice it rained so much and so hard that the water bounced up and got your shoulders wet under the umbrella.  The third time we actually hit a dry period for a few days. Then it was quite beautiful ... for a couple of days. But hey, it's 80 degrees and raining. Not bad.

No thanks. I'm take Kona coast. Average rainfall of 30-40 inches. That's less than here. AND it's 80 degrees.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here