News:

• March 29, 2024, 01:24:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gas situation on I75 in Georgia ?  (Read 3474 times)

Offline 11290

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Gas situation on I75 in Georgia ?
« on: September 29, 2008, 02:45:26 PM »
Have to leave Wednesday morning this week with a 16' moving truck going from southern Indiana to Orlando and wondered about the gas situation in Georgia. Did not hear about this until last Saturday night and seems to be a big issue around Atlanta and somewhat of an issue in the area of Nashville, TN.

Will have enough to get to around Chattanooga, TN from where we are starting but will need to fill up there or just before we get there. Will be going through Nashville, Chattagoona, Atlanta, Macon and Valdosta before getting to the FL state line.

Any information would be appreciated. Tried all of the newspapers of the major towns on the route but curiously, not any significant information in their "news" sections about this situation.

Evansville, IN & Orlando, FL

Alan Hahn

Re: Gas situation on I75 in Georgia ?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 06:23:13 PM »
FWIW,
I was watching the weather channel just now and they said there was plenty of gasoline an hour away from Atlanta (with no lines to speak of). So if you fill up in the smaller towns on the way, you probably will be ok.

Note I'm in Chicago, and the price just dropped to $3.89, so I can't give you the hour by hour situation down south. However I do travel that route about once a year on the way to South Florida, so I hope the pipelines are open by the time I go. Since the election will be over by then, I am optimistic the gasoline will be flowing.

Offline 11290

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 06:31:05 PM »
Someone on another forum where I posted this question said he was 60 miles north of Atlanta and they had NO gas, but others said that once you get south of Macon it is OK. 

My daughter was in North Carolina near Lake Norman on business last Thursday and had to turn in her rental with only 1/2 tank as no gas was available.  Agency said that most people were doing that because of the shortage.

I have to go to Orlando but I was looking at a "gas pricing" map of Alabama and it seems, at least by pricing, that gas is somewhat available in most parts of Alabama where in the same mapping of Georgia virtually the whole state is showing very limited supply.

I think that intead of going to Chattanooga and then down I75 I will take I65 south to Birmingham and Montgomery and then down to I10 and east to I75.  It's about 65 miles further and about 140 miles would not be interstate but it appears that gas supplies will be adequate.

Will report back later this week when I get the furniture unloaded in my daughters apt. in Orlando and get back online.

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
This is a link to a web site that reports daily gas prices for around the country. You have to enter the zip code for the area where you want to buy gas. I enter my zip code and it reports most all of the local gas stations and the price for each grade. However it does not report outages.

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/GasStations.aspx
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Offline 11290

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 07:02:52 PM »
This site is where I was watching.  You can zoom in for a closer look at any area. 
While it does not show specific outages you would "assume" that higher pricing (reds) would indicate "probable" outage areas.  Hope this is true anyway.  Wish there was someone in the Huntsville, Birmingham or Montgomery areas that could confirm but haven't found anyone yet.

http://alabamagasprices.com/price_by_county.aspx

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 07:09:22 PM »
I doubt there will be a shortage of petrol any time soon.

However, if traveling a ways from home, it would be smart to carry enough green money to make it home in case the bank that supports your plastic fails. 

If the House keeps screwing around they'll make 1932 look like a lounge act.
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 07:35:07 PM »
I live just off the I-65 186 exit, north of Montgomery.

As far as I know, there is no shortage of gas in this area.  Regular is running $3.65 to $3.85 per gallon.

Cheers,
Jim

Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline 11290

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 08:01:39 PM »
Thanks much for the Alabama reports.  Looks like that is the way that we will go instead of Chattanooga / Atlanta / Valdosta.  A bit further but at least I may not have to wait in any long lines.  Might even stop by Cullman on the way down.  Mom and Dad lived there in the mid 60's for awhile.  He got transferred down there with business and i visited a few times.  Seemed like a nice enough town then but probably would not even recognize it now after 43 years.

Have to really appreciate the internet forums for cases like this.  Without information from other areas like people on these forums are generous enough to post our trip down could have become pretty miserable, what with driving a box truck with our car hanging on the back and maybe having to sit in long lines waiting for gasoline

Thanks again everyone.  It is MUCH appreciated.

Offline Ed Keller

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 08:28:33 PM »
I live on the south side of Birmingham, & most of the stations here in this area have gas. Some are out of hi-test, but have regular. AAA advises that the situation is slowly improving, so you should not have any major problems. The shortest distance down to I-10 from Montgomery is via hiway 231 thru Troy to Dothan, then thru Marianna onto I-10. Have gone that way many times. Regards, Ed

Offline David Shad

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 09:34:42 AM »
I live in Warner Robins Ga. Just south of Macon off I-75. We have had no problems with a shortage yet although a few stations have their pumps closed
and are out there are plenty of places that still have gas and I have yet to sit in line anywhere. Gas here is running 3.65 to 3.88.
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline Darrell Mims

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 09:42:25 AM »
 LL~  we have GAS here in Alabama !!!! hope to see you here David this weekend

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here