News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:02:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FW 190 Number 2  (Read 5309 times)

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
FW 190 Number 2
« on: August 05, 2022, 09:09:06 PM »
I intended to post this in the long running "what did you do is the shop today", but I couldn't find it.

I have been doing some more work on my FW 190 number 2.  Here are some pictures of recent progress on the cockpit.

Joe

Edit:  Most of the details are now permanent on the three panels, but the panels are still in the trial fit stage.  If I remember how I did the first FW, I installed the cockpit floor,  mounted the mail panel in the fuse and then installed the sides and top shells.  The side panels and seat details will go in after the top shells are added.

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: FW 190 Number 2
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 12:59:40 PM »
Very nice Joe .... really the most difficult part of any great plane ....

. ..... I haven't found any pre-made plastic kits of cockpit interior kits that are suitable for our models .... anyone know of any?

Offline John Lindberg

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 04:22:28 PM »
Looks great!  #^ <=

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 05:08:47 PM »

. ..... I haven't found any pre-made plastic kits of cockpit interior kits that are suitable for our models .... anyone know of any?
Legend Hobby has a bunch of interior kits but they may be too large.
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 07:01:49 PM »
I intended to post this in the long running "what did you do is the shop today", but I couldn't find it.

A separate project thread is MUCH better anyway, much easier for interested parties to find and follow. There have been many great projects that are now essentially lost and buried forever in that gargantuan thread. IMO the "Building Techniques" section is the best place for posting build threads and related information, just makes sense. Thanks for sharing this new project and keep us posted on the progress!
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 10:45:52 PM »
I started this topic last August and I have been remiss in supporting it.  There has been significant progress that I have not reported.  So, in this and subsequent posts I will try to bring the construction up to date.

The attached pictures date back to April of last year.  The first two pictures show the lost foam wing jig.  This jig is somewhat different that the typical jig for a straight wing with only LE taper.  For FW #2 I decided to include the wing cuff into the main wing structure rather than make it an appliance like I used in #1.  This meant that the jig had to be cut in 4 panels instead of two.  The other significant difference is that the FW wing has dihedral. Picture three shows two of the four split LE sheeting molds necessitated by the wing cuff.

Pictures 4, 5, and 6 show the installation of the molded LE.  The only difference from the typical lost foam technique here was that there were two molded LE sections per wing panel.  To provide some support to the butt joint between the two sections, I laminated a half rib to the nose of the rib at the break.

Picture 7 shows the basswood top and bottom wing joiners and the plywood flap horn support that also serves as a TE joiner.  Picture 8 shows the installation of the joiners into the left wing half.  I departed from the typical lost foam construction process in one other way with this wing.  Typically, you use the foam rib templates generated when the wing jig is cut to make the ribs.  As an experiment, I laser cut the ribs to be used in the jig.  I chose to do this in an attempt to save additional weight, to save time, and to cleanly make the critical openings for the joiner pieces (described below).  In picture 8 you can see the laser cut aft rib lightening hole cutouts still attached to the ribs.  The forward cutouts were also left in place.  This is to provide additional support to the ribs to prevent breakage while the wing is under construction. The cutouts were left in place until removal was absolutely necessary.  The cutouts in ribs 1, 2, 3, and 4 for the joiners were laser cut features as well.  Unlike the typical lost foam wing, the locations of these cutouts change in depth from rib to rib due to the dihedral and would be very difficult to hand cut accurately.   These locations are critical to the proper joining of the wing halves.  I spent a lot of time on the computer checking measurements and angles to make sure the cutouts were in the correct place.  I was greatly relieved when the wing halves slipped together properly on the first trial fit.

Joe

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 01:35:44 PM »
Joe, your work always looks great!

BB

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 09:52:35 PM »
Here’s the latest progress.

Picture 1 shows all the rudder pieces ready to assemble.  When complete, all the tail feathers will be ready to install on the fuse.  Picture 2 shows the completed wing assembly, including control linkages, wing tips, landing gear blocks, adjustable lead out guide, and weight box installations.  It is now ready for fitting to the fuselage.  The next picture is a close up of the leading edge cutout for the fuselage.  The cover plate in front fits against fuse former number 2.

The lost foam wing requires a different support system for assembly to the fuselage from the dual rod jig I used for the FW #1 assembly.  Picture 4 shows the stands I built from floral foam to hold the wing in position for fitting and gluing to the fuselage.  Picture 5 shows the setup.  I don’t know yet if this will work well enough for the assembly, but I think it shows promise.

Joe

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2023, 06:14:31 AM »

Hi Frank.  The reason there aren't any premade cockpits? No million customers.  The bits can easily be printed with one of many "plastic printers".  A quick search of "plastic printers" brought up an unlimited number anywhere from $150 or so to a million or so that could print parts for full size parts for a car!

Phil Cartier
phil Cartier

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 09:01:35 AM »
Looks good Joe!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 10:13:32 PM »
Here’s more progress.

During the initial fitting of the top front and rear fuse shells and the canopy, I discovered that I had painted the bottom canopy frame lines in the wrong place.  Fortunately the Tamiya paint I used could be removed with alcohol.  The alcohol does not attack the canopy material.  In pictuer 1 the blue tape shows the new position of the bottom canopy frame lines.  I dodged a bullet here.

Picture 2, 3 and 4 show the process of fitting the wing to the fuse.  In my previous post I showed a couple of pictures of floral foam that I was planning to use as supports for the wing alignment.  During the fitting process I discovered that the floral foam did not work as I had hoped.  It was too hard and the sharp edges tended to dent the wing sheeting.  I had to fall back on using scrap blocks of wing foam for the supports.

In pictures 5 and 6 the stab is being fit to the fuse.  As with FW #1, I am building in 1 ˝ deg of positive incidence in the stab.

In picture 7 the wing has been glued to the fuse and I am doing the final alignment of the stab.

In picture 8 the elevator horn has been installed in the TE of the stab and the stab has been glued in place.  The flap to elevator push rod has been assembled and I am doing the final controls setup.

Joe

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 10:37:27 PM »
Today’s effort.

Here’s two views of today’s efforts.  After verifying all the control linkages were as I wanted them and that I had JB Welded the nut on the ball joint bolt at the flap horn, I proceeded to install the 4 fuselage top shell halves.  I also painted the shell areas that will be visible in the cockpit and the bottom canopy frame lines.

Joe

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2023, 10:47:52 PM »
Really, really nice Joe.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2023, 11:29:42 AM »
Looking good. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2023, 02:26:12 PM »
Beautiful work Joe!
Matt Colan

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2023, 07:42:45 PM »
Can't wait to see a FW-190 back on the circle!  Nice work.  Will you have it ready for this year's contests?

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2023, 12:22:33 PM »
Ken

My goal is to fly the plane at the Nats this year.  I am hoping to have is ready for the Dallas contest in June.  For that to happen, I have a lot of work to do in the next two months!

Joe

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2023, 12:29:20 PM »
Ken

My goal is to fly the plane at the Nats this year.  I am hoping to have is ready for the Dallas contest in June.  For that to happen, I have a lot of work to do in the next two months!

Joe

I am shooting to have Endgame III ready for the Gieseke too.  We go-in to be busy!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2023, 10:31:34 PM »
More progress.

The first two pictures show an almost complete cockpit.  The third picture shows the few remaining cockpit details to be added (the canopy closure wheel and release lever in the real ship).  The picture also shows the two machine gun barrels to be added to the gun deck after the plane has been painted and ready for clear coat.

The last picture shows the current status of the whole airframe.  The area around the cockpit that will be under the canopy has been painted.  The “trench” in the top shells to accommodate the edge of the canopy for gluing has been created.  The tail block that forms the base of the vertical fin has been shaped and hollowed and the vertical fin has been glued to it.  This subassembly is ready for some SuperFil and final sanding.  The tip block on the fin has been assembled (a center section of 1/16 in ply sandwiched between balsa), shaped, hollowed (every gram removed counts) and glued in place and match sanded to the rudder.  And finally, the gun deck has been glued in place on the nose.

Once the canopy has been attached permanently and the fin subassembly is glued in place, the airframe will be ready to remove from the fuselage jig.  This should happen this week.

Joe

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2023, 08:34:34 AM »
Wow!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2023, 09:16:38 PM »
Ausgezeichnet!!!
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2023, 06:41:08 AM »
Ausgezeichnet!!!
Er ist zurück

Ken

AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2023, 10:03:34 PM »
Moving right along:

Picture 1 shows plane with fin subassembly installed and canopy installed with filler around joint with fuselage.  Picture 2 is close up of canopy.

Picture 3 – Jig empty!!

Picture 4 – It’s alive… uh free.

Picture 5 shows plane on wheels.  I built a spare set of LG for the first plane and I sized the LG mounts to accept them.  However, the first plane was painted with KlassKote and I will be using auto colors and dope this time.  The colors may not match so I am building a new set of LG to be safe.

Picture 6 shows the radial motor mount I’ll be using this time around.  The first plane used maple beam mounts.  I am trying a radial mount in an attempt to save some weight.

Joe

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2023, 07:37:58 AM »
Oh, yeah!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2023, 07:46:22 AM »
Outstanding Joe!
Matt Colan

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2023, 06:33:10 PM »

Looking really good!  y1

Wayne Willey

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2023, 08:46:35 PM »
Construction Finished:

Pictures 1 thru 4 show the airframe ready to begin prep for finish.  Blue tape spots are locations I’ve found so far for the “green putty” treatment.

Picture 5 shows the landing gear treatment ala the Doug Moon / Windy method.

Joe

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2023, 11:07:29 AM »
Looking good!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2023, 06:43:23 PM »
Looking good!

It's much better than that.  ;D

Wayne Willey

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2023, 09:02:45 PM »
It's much better than that.  ;D

Hey, I fly with the guy.  I don't want him to get too big of a head!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2023, 05:47:15 PM »
Hey, I fly with the guy.  I don't want him to get too big of a head!

I especially like that he put wingtips on it.  S?P ;D

Wayne Willey

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2023, 06:23:41 PM »
I especially like that he put wingtips on it.  S?P ;D

LOL!  You kill me!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2023, 06:32:58 PM »
Looks good Joe! Nice accents on the gear!  ;D
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2023, 10:37:14 PM »
Several people have asked me about progress on my new FW, so I decided that I needed to post an update.  I will not meet my goal of finishing the new FW in time for this year’s NATS.  The storms we have had in the Dallas area over the past two months have really disrupted the finishing process.  I do all my painting outside and use the garage bay where I park my van as the prep and clean up area.  When we have threats of severe storms and hail I have to tear down my work area so I can put the van inside for protection.

The first picture is the airframe with two of the camouflage colors ( a light and a dark gray) applied.  I am in the process of masking the airframe off for applying the green.  The second picture is of the remains of the first FW.  I am using them as a guide for the new paint job.  I found the masks I used for the camouflage on the first plane and they are saving me a lot of time painting the #2 ship.  Since the new airframe is essentially identical to the original my templates for doing the ink lines will also work.  This will also be a big time saver.  The third picture is of the landing gear.  The ink lines are finished and the decals for the tire and strut inflation pressures have been applied.  The gear is almost ready for the clear coat.

Joe

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2023, 08:45:06 AM »
Outstanding!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2024, 10:26:57 PM »
I hate sanding!!!  Especially if the painting is almost complete.  I had finished painting the camouflage last June.  I was very unhappy with the way the dark gray and the green turned out.  Both had serious orange peal, but I hated the thought of sanding the paint off.  I spent 6 months testing various approaches trying to salvage the paint and had no success.  In January I decided to bite the bullet and sand it down as close to the blocking coat of polar gray as I dared.  Here is a picture of the progress in early February.  Everything is sanded except the left wing.  As it turned out the process so far was not as bad as I had envisioned … quite.  It still was a lot of work.

Joe

PS:  I suspect the problem with the finish lay in the fact that I painted the plane in June, in the Dallas heat.  I used the medium reducer for the auto base coat and it probably flashed off before the pigment could level out.

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2024, 10:28:54 PM »
Here is the sequel to the previous post.  I finished painting the insignia today.  So far the paint has turned out much better than the previous attempt.  I will now add the shading work to simulate the cloth covering on the ailerons, elevators and rudder.  I will also add some shading aft of the exhaust stacks back over the wing to simulate exhaust stains.

Joe

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2024, 07:17:52 AM »
Very nice!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2024, 07:28:16 AM »
Looks great Joe! Looking forward to seeing it
Matt Colan

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2024, 08:34:55 AM »
A beautiful piece of art.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2024, 10:57:02 AM »
Simply outstanding, Joe!  y1 y1 y1

Bob Hunt

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2024, 10:02:57 PM »
Here is some more progress on the #2 ship.  Since the last post, I have added the shading on the control surfaces simulating the fabric covering on the real airplane.  The next session will add the engine exhaust stains on the fuselage.

Joe

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2024, 03:14:23 AM »
The simple word "Wow!" isn't adequate ...

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2024, 07:35:47 AM »
awesome work indeed! the 190 is a graceful machine and your´s is doing justice!
congratulations.
i have built a bigger one for r/c client, 1/4th scale, quite a sight in the air but not as challenging as a F2B capable plane, as r/c forgives weight and misalignments
regards from Brazil

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2024, 06:55:45 PM »
Here are the exhaust stains.  Except for a few minor touch-ups, all the color is now on the airplane.  The fun now begins – PANEL LINES!!!!!

A passing note:  If you leave a voice message about this plane for a person who uses a transcription app, don’t use the name Focke Wulf in the message!

Joe

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2024, 10:31:43 PM »
Here are the exhaust stains.  Except for a few minor touch-ups, all the color is now on the airplane.  The fun now begins ends – PANEL LINES!!!!!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2024, 03:54:03 AM »
Here are the exhaust stains.  Except for a few minor touch-ups, all the color is now on the airplane.  The fun now begins – PANEL LINES!!!!!

A passing note:  If you leave a voice message about this plane for a person who uses a transcription app, don’t use the name Focke Wulf in the message!

Joe
one of the best parts! means there´s no more paint needed but the clear coat and you´re bound to field in shor time
i love doing ink lines. have fun

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2024, 09:52:04 PM »
Ken,

Could you not hear the sarcasm in my statement??

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2024, 11:31:20 PM »
I have been waterboarded in military training and I think I enjoyed that more than doing panel lines.  Endgame IV is going to have a military finish, so I am going to have to do them .... aggh.  HB~>   
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Jake Moon

• New Pilot
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2024, 06:50:24 AM »
What a stunning build, Joe! It might be even better than the first one, which is saying a lot.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here