News:

• April 24, 2024, 07:40:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FW 190 Exhaust Stack Mounting  (Read 3255 times)

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
FW 190 Exhaust Stack Mounting
« on: September 13, 2017, 09:32:21 PM »
   I am looking for suggestions on the best method for mounting the exhaust stacks on my FW 190.  The two pictures show the basic stack unit I have made.  I found some K&S tear drop shaped brass tube that is 3/8 in wide.  As can be seen all I had to do was taper one end of the tube and then cut it to length to create each stack tube.  I CA’ed the 6 stacks onto a strip of 1/16 in ply to make the unit.

Now my question.  What is the best method for mounting this unit on to the nose of the plane.  I plan to inset the stack unit into the nose just forward of the wing LE, and  I plan to paint the stack units before assembly to the plane.  Should I finish painting the plane first then cut the channel for the stacks?  Should I mount the stacks first then paint the plane?  I can pros and cons to either approach.  I have never added this detail to a plane before and I am unsure which approach to take.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

Joe

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: FW 190 Exhaust Stack Mounting
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 06:12:20 AM »
Joe,

Nice stacks! Sounds funny.  LL~

Talented guy, I see you made them out of brass.

I make mine out of aluminum because I can. Another funny.  LL~

I use aluminum because it's light, easy to work with and CA sticks to it well.

All my stacks I CA to a strip of hard balsa.

In your case, I would drill a series of holes under the stacks. Holes won't show. I would scratch up your brass back and use Epoxy. It'll go into the holes when pressed againsed the fuselage.

See what other suggestions you get?

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »
Nice detail!  I would cut the channel for the stacks to ensure proper fit up, then finish the plane and stacks, then in the channel put the small holes so when epoxied the ply stack mount will adhere to the painted surfaces better.  I used this technique (holes along the glue line of a finished plane using epoxy and masking tape to prevent buggering up anything) for a wind screen on a plane I built a few years ago and you can pick up the plane by the windscreen!  Good luck and can't wait to see the finished  FW-190!

Don

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 07:40:49 AM »
Just curious.Which version of the FW-190 did not have a radial engine?
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 11:09:37 AM »

A brief outline on the long nosed Focke Wulf fighters.

In the effort to improve performance of the Fw 190A at higher altitudes, a series of aircraft based on the Fw 190A were developed with inline engines.  These prototype aircraft had designations of Fw 190V series with a few having the  designation as Fw 190C, all with versions of in-line engines.  A few of the Fw 190C aircraft became prototypes for the later Focke Wulf Ta 152.

One of the versions from the Fw 190V series became the prototype for the Fw 190D which appeared in several versions  with different power plants and armament arrangements.

The Focke Wulf Ta 152 series were a further development of the long nose Focke Wulf aircraft with different wings, engines and armament.

More than 1800 Fw 190D aircraft were produced along with almost 70 Ta 152's.  These aircraft saw action toward the end of the war.

There are a number of books that provide considerable information on these aircraft.

Keith

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 12:21:50 PM »
Joe
Bring your 190 out to the Team Trials on Oct 14,15.  I know Keith, me, and others would like to see the progress you've made.  I have the McClellan plans taped up to the wall.  I'm gonna do one also.  Maybe Friday would be a good time also.
Frank

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 02:15:31 PM »

As Keith pointed out above..there were several iterations of the FW-190 with in-line engines.  These include the families of the 190D-9 and Ta-152  One engine used was the Daimler Benz DB-603 series engine (similar in design to those DB-601 series as used in the Bf-109's). These would see service in a selection of the mk's that  would become the "Ta-152C-0 series of the aircraft types.  The other inline engine family type was the Jumo-213 series. These were used in the FW-190D series of airframes and the Ta-152H-0 series.   You can I.d. which engine is in which airframe in part by the location of the super charger intake scoop.  On the DB-603 engine types the intake scoop is on the left side (port side) of the fuselage forward section as was the way with the Bf-109's.  The Jumo-213 had the intake scoop located on the right side (starboard) of the fuselage forward section.  To counter act the shift in the c.g. due to the in-line engine install, there was a fuselage extention "plug" built into the aft fuselage which stretched the fuselage length.  Some versions also had a "wide chord" vertical stabilizer.  There were/are short wing span (ground attack) versions, as well as long wing span high altitude interceptor versions.  It's a very interesting aircraft to model.  It is best to find info on a particular airframe you wish to model to ensure you get the details correct for that particular airframe, should that matter to you.  The plastic model group do lots of research on these details to ensure they get the subtle and not subtle differences correct.  The Focke Wulf is certainly a fav of mine.

T.

Pictures added:  Top to bottom; Fw-190D-9 (Jumo-213 power).  Ta-152C-0 (DB-603 power),  Ta-152H-1 (Jumo-213 power)

Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 07:19:41 AM »
Epoxy the stacks on after all painting is done.  Otherwise they might collect paint and cause a run.  When you epoxy them on, make sure that you tape around the area so the epoxy doesn't get on the finish where you don't want it.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 10:33:35 PM »

Still appalled I wasnt allwed a Kittyhawk , Corsair , or Spitfire , when I was Eight . Father recond theyed be about 50 quid , at the knackers yard . The stuff that was lying around in NZ in the 60s ,
Tiger Moths for 50 bucks , un airworthy but complete . etc etc etc . >:( :(

ANYWAY , to fiddly topaint around it FITTED , can file / clean edges after pait , for a good joint .

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 07:57:09 AM »
Thanx for the replys!Didn't realize there were so many versions of the 190.
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here