News:

• March 29, 2024, 02:17:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: full body p51  (Read 4167 times)

Offline Joe Connelly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
full body p51
« on: August 19, 2017, 04:13:58 PM »
Are there plans for a full bodied 35-40 sizes semi scale P51 available. I can't seem to find anything in that category.
I know there is Al Rabe's Mustunt but it's not quite what I am looking for. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Joe Connelly

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
Re: full body p51
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 04:42:35 PM »
Didn't Mike Pratt do one of these? The model that the Midwest Mustang Stunter was taken from? BTW there is a Midwest Mustang Stunter kit on Ebay.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 07:37:37 PM »
I think SIG made a kit. Think it had a foam wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 07:47:35 PM »
I think there was one by Al Meyers in Model Aviation in about 1977.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 09:18:55 PM »
   The SIG Mustang was presented in Model Airplane News and introduced by SIG as a kit in the same issue. I don't know if the plan can be had from M.A.N. or not, but I think SIG still has plans and instruction booklets available. I'm sure one fo the foam wing cutters can make a set of cored wings for you, and just substitute a molded fuse top or hollowed out block. I think SIG still has the canopy available also. The only others that immediately come to mind are the Rabe and Al Meyers molded fuse models. There have been many profile models, but just can't think of any other full fuselage designs. Maybe some other people's memories will be jogged by this, and hopefully Keith Trostle has something on file.
   Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Joe Connelly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 10:44:09 PM »
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I think I found what I need. It was called Mustang Stunter by Clair Sieverling.
It's on my DVD Old Time & Classic Stunt Models from Tom Wilks. The plans are very sketchy and not very
detailed but I think I can draw my own from what I have on the DVD. It's about the size of a Nobler and is
a good looking semi scale Mustang. Thanks again guys and to Charles for emailing me.

Joe Connelly

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 10:44:28 PM »
SIG does offer plans, and Bob Hunt will do a first class foam wing, finished as far as you choose.  It may not be as competitive as others, but most any good .35 ought to haul it around.

The Al Myers P-51D is a real beauty in my opinion: Nice thick wing (the original was sheeted), great looks, and conventional fuselage construction.  Meyers recommended .35 to .46 and powered the 48 oz. original with a SuperTigre G.21/.40.  Span is 54 inches.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 10:48:02 PM »
The attached Photo is of John Callentine from Tucson and the Rabe Mustang he built a number of years ago.

It's not an easy build but as you can see it is certainly rewarding to look at and is an excellent flier.  Plans are available from several sources I believe.

John of course is a master modeler and unless you have pretty good modeling skills it would be a difficult project.  It certainly qualifies as the best effort of a mustang that is also a competitive stunter!

I think John's uses a PA61 for power.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 12:54:18 AM »
Look at Pat Johnstons Plans list his planes are excellent fliers and build light.Look for the 560 sq inch version of full bodied Mustang.

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 09:38:45 AM »
Clair Sieverling  had a great Mustang. MAN 2/1965. I believe plans still available. John Duncan might have pattern to cut foam wing , with cores to take out weight.
The article is online as a PDF, I tried to post here, but file is too big.
John Duncan can also provide cored out wing for the SIG Mustang. When combined with a molded turtle deck to replace the plastic one from kit, it comes out much lighter.
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 03:04:04 PM »
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 05:02:01 PM »
I have the templates for many CL Stunt Mustangs, including the SIG version, Claire Sieverling's P-51, Pat Johnston's P-51, Al Rabe's P-51, and the P-51 that I designed and Mike Palko built and flew for several years. He won the Brodak event several times with that ship. Plans for the fuselage and tail are available from me, and the wing Lost-Foam fixture is also.

Note, Sieverling's P-51 was a built-up wing, and to be legal for Classic competition it should be built as such. I can provide the LostFoam fixture sets to do that.

Later - Bob Hunt
610-746-0106

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 05:28:49 PM »
Download the Clair Sieverling plans from here:  https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3119

The Sig plans here: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=9078

A list of all mustang plans available for download here: https://outerzone.co.uk/search/results.asp?keyword=Mustang+

enjoy
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 10:19:55 PM »

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I think I found what I need. It was called Mustang Stunter by Clair Sieverling.

Good Choice , likely the lightest of the lot . And we all know what that does .

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 07:54:03 AM »
In this vein, I have a Rabe P-51 wing but don't want to build the Rabe fuselage.  Which of Pat Johnston's P-51 full fuselage plans would be best for using  LA-46 for power?  (The RSM kit is probably too big)

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »
Pat Johnston specifically has designed the 560 sq in planes for LA .46 or similar. Check his plans for that wing area I would venture that there is a much better airfoil and a lighter plane that Pat designed than any other design.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 12:20:38 PM »
Where do I find Pat Johnston's plans list?

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 01:08:08 PM »
Scott I sent you and e-mail

I love pat Johnston's Ring masters and the short kits are very well done and the right wood from the git go

MY plans list from him is from 2015
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 01:27:36 PM »
It's on my DVD Old Time & Classic Stunt Models from Tom Wilks. The plans are very sketchy and not very
detailed but I think I can draw my own from what I have on the DVD. It's about the size of a Nobler and is
a good looking semi scale Mustang. Thanks again guys and to Charles for emailing me.

Joe Connelly

Joe,

The Sieverling Mustang (Model Airplane News 2/65) with a span of 56" is listed in the John Pond Plan Service as Plan #39A5 for a cross reference to the AMA plan service number.

You can get a "New" set of plans there.

Cheers, Jerry

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 02:27:50 PM »
George,

You have a lot of Mustang plans there but the only one of mine  mentioned here (that I saw} was nearly a half century old.  And I don't think you  mentioned the only Mustang semi-scale ever to win Open Stunt and the Walker Trophy at the NATs.  The airplane was called Snaggletooth and its plans were published in Oct 2007 Control Line World.  I also have them for sale. Laser cut kits are available from Walter Umland in Florida.There are several articles detailing the construction of "Snaggletooth" Mustangs.   
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 05:18:22 PM by Al Rabe »

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 02:31:55 PM »
Plenty of nice Mustangs out there to choose from.  A few of these have been mentioned already.

Rabe, Brickhaus, Sieverling, Gretz, Vornholt, Glasser, Pat Johnston, Paul Walker.
I am sure there are more out there. 

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:21:26 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 04:29:23 PM »
Pat's has dihedral. Sort of auto-cool.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 01:38:37 PM »
Please note the RSM P-51 is 610 square inches and has a different airfoil that Pat designs. The Mustang  I am referring to has 560 sq inches. He does have a larger one  626 that is also excellent but you may want to ask him( PAT)  if an LA 46 would be sufficient.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 02:46:30 PM »

Joe,

The Sieverling Mustang (Model Airplane News 2/65) with a span of 56" is listed in the John Pond Plan Service as Plan #39A5 for a cross reference to the AMA plan service number.

You can get a "New" set of plans there.

Cheers, Jerry

Interesting (perhaps) thing about John Pond is that he was the head guy at a US Navy drafting office. When his draftsmen didn't have government work to do, he kept them busy re-drawing magazine plans, so that he could sell copies, preserve history, and avoid copyright infringement suits.

Sometimes, the plans were ok, but sometimes, critical information was left off by accident or lack of enthusiasm. I built an OT FF from JP plans, and came across this problem in my first exposure. I'm sure some were just fine, but I wanted to point out that you're taking a bit of a chance with John Pond plans. Sometimes, of course, they're all you can get, but be prepared to "wing it" if need be.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 03:20:18 PM »
George,

You have a lot of Mustang plans there but the only one of mine  mentioned here (that I saw} was nearly a half century old.  And I don't think you  mentioned the only Mustang semi-scale ever to win Open Stunt and the Walker Trophy at the NATs.  The airplane was called Snaggletooth and its plans were published in Oct 2007 Control Line World.  I also have them for sale. Laser cut kits are available from Walter Umland in Florida.There are several articles detailing the construction of "Snaggletooth" Mustangs.
. Excellent point and am glad you mentioned this!
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2017, 04:12:31 PM »
The attached Photo is of John Callentine from Tucson and the Rabe Mustang he built a number of years ago.

It's not an easy build but as you can see it is certainly rewarding to look at and is an excellent flier.  Plans are available from several sources I believe.

John of course is a master modeler and unless you have pretty good modeling skills it would be a difficult project.  It certainly qualifies as the best effort of a mustang that is also a competitive stunter!

I think John's uses a PA61 for power.

Randy Cuberly

I'm guessing you've never seen Mike Palko's beautiful P-51 that finished 11th in Open at this year's Nats.   Also garnered 18 appearance points. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here