News:

• April 25, 2024, 02:38:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel proof for GASOLINE?  (Read 763 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fuel proof for GASOLINE?
« on: June 01, 2021, 10:21:40 AM »
      How may prepare wood to be 100%  free from being affected by gasoline?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fuel proof for GASOLINE?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 12:49:21 PM »
Frank, The Klasskote will work as well as any of the finishing epoxy resins. Simple paint any of the common rattle can stuff as long as you are only running gasoline (or Colemen fuel). If you plan on occasionally running glow fuel you need paint that can hold up either Klasskote or death paint over dope. For the gasoline make sure you use fuel tubing that is not silicon (it swells and fails).

Best,    DennisT

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 03:15:14 PM »
Both nitrate and butyrate dope are gasoline proof. Back in the 40's when everyone was still flying ignition most planes we finished with nitrate dope. later people started adding stuff to gasoline. Then fuel proofers came along. When glow came out butyrate had to be used.
Jim Kraft

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 12:30:50 PM »
Not long ago, had an old motorcycle transported to my house, a fixer upper. Tank was rattle can painted. During movement by a friend, a tie down came loose and the bike slipped to its side. Gasoline spilled from the cap down the side, softened and bubbled the paint. Instead of using automotive grade paint, previous owner probably used the lowest grade, cheap stuff.

Not all rattle cans are fuel proof.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 12:37:46 PM »
Both nitrate and butyrate dope are gasoline proof. Back in the 40's when everyone was still flying ignition most planes we finished with nitrate dope. later people started adding stuff to gasoline. Then fuel proofers came along. When glow came out butyrate had to be used.

Just curious, what was fuel proofer?  I remember my dad used to use "comet: Fuel Proofer as the top coat on all his new airplanes (prior to stunt competition days.  I remember it was very thin, smelled different than dope and left a very shiny finish (if only for awhile)  Pretty sure it was not a butyrate base (any of course I could be wrong), any idea what was in it?

Sorry for the thread drift...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 09:18:06 AM »
Just curious, what was fuel proofer?  I remember my dad used to use "comet: Fuel Proofer as the top coat on all his new airplanes (prior to stunt competition days.  I remember it was very thin, smelled different than dope and left a very shiny finish (if only for awhile)  Pretty sure it was not a butyrate base (any of course I could be wrong), any idea what was in it?

Back in the 1960's - 1970's, over the water slide decals that didn't stand a ghost of a chance with glow fuels, I used Pactra and Testor Fuel Proofer. It was a very thin product, super glossy when dry, smelled more clear varnish like, certainly not a lacquer product, but never knew exactly what composition it was.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here