News:

• April 20, 2024, 04:08:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Frustrating web shopping -- Plastic boxes by size  (Read 769 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Frustrating web shopping -- Plastic boxes by size
« on: August 18, 2018, 02:51:20 PM »
So I'm trying to find a plastic box that'll fit into my flight box, so that I can put handles & lines into baggies and thence into the box so they'll be protected.  Having a pile of handles & line sets in baggies works really well except that they're not protected -- so I want a box.

There are a bazillion plastic boxes for sale on the Internet!  And even more wood ones, and tin ones (a cookie box would actually be cool for this purpose).  But no one seems to sell them by size, or at least not by outer dimensions.  I ran across one website that purportedly does so, but (A) its search engine is broken, and (B) it's in the UK.  Trying to plow through everything available on Amazon is tedious in the extreme -- I think I could have built a nice box out of plywood in the time I've spent looking so far.

So, grump.  And if anyone happens to have a source for stout boxes with no internal dividers that'll fit into a 8-1/2 x 10 x 2-1/2 inch space, let me know, I'm in the market.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Frustrating web shopping -- Plastic boxes by size
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 03:37:00 PM »
Do you have a Container Store near you.  They may not have everything you are looking for but you will find a bunch of stuff that you never knew you needed.

Keith

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 04:01:54 PM »
I don't. But I did just find something suitable in the cupboard under the counter. I even have approval to use it!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 04:09:30 PM »
Looks like a Container Store at Bridgeport.  Now you can find a replacement for the container you used, or send your wife to find one.  More dangerous because she might find more.
Fred

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 06:56:03 PM »
Sometimes tobacconists are up to their ears in empty cigar boxes of all sizes. I get them for a buck apiece at a local beer store that has an elaborate humidor room. Some of them are a good size for various modeling needs. I use them for my assorted short metal tubes, Dremel tools, stuff like that.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline scott v.

• 23 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 08:54:22 AM »
Hi, try the Sterilite site on the web.  They have dimensions and you can order most of the thru Walmart.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 12:48:01 PM »
Tim...I know it sounds like you are good ---BUT based on the 8-1/2 x 10 x 2-1/2 ...I think Rusty has a good lead for your and cheap...

Specks
Tinder Box
Local cigar retailer

They do try to make a buck on the excess but some retailers just what the space hogging boxes out of their hair....I have dozens...but full disclosure.. I did smoke every stogie inside them....grin
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 01:02:35 PM »
I'm a fan of Plano fishing tackle boxes, and easily found this. Not your exact dimensions, but maybe close enough? Probably not cheap, tho. Plano Item # 2371500  D>K  Steve

http://www.planomolding.com/fishing/stowawayr-utility-boxes/prolatch-open-compartment-stowaway-half-size-3700
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 01:17:24 PM »
Steve, that looks like a good fit!
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here