News:

• April 23, 2024, 07:31:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: From one newbie to another….. F-Twister with a LA .40  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
From one newbie to another….. F-Twister with a LA .40
« on: November 29, 2006, 03:15:01 PM »
Howdy,
All the information in this post it old news because I got this advice from folks on the boards, and from my flying buddies.
I am now happy with my TwistStang. I have been chasing all kinds of issues with it. We could not get a good needle setting. (I say “we” because Arlan, Kreth, and Zuriel set the needle most of the time for me.) At the end of each flight, the engine would go lean for about 8 to 10 laps and screw me in the ground. When I did get a good needle setting it seem to fly too fast, so I was looking for the right prop.
I posted all kinds of questions and got the answers to some of my problems.
So when the “Top Guns” tell you how to fix a problem, JUST DO IT!
I took the day off today to work on my son’s car. (Thanks Kreth for the help!)
After the work was done, time to fly. The sky was over cast, but the wind was 10-20 mph and the temp was 72. The TwistStang is a little heavy after I rebuilt the wing and added more paint, so it plowed through the wind just fine.
Here is what I have found so far. I hope it helps some other newbie. I took the shotgun approach to fixing some of my issues, but I am better off all the way around.
I replaced the plastic back plate with a metal one.
I replaced the remote needle with a standard OS needle. I get rock solid settings now. I can tach it and it is not all over the place. (I did not use the ST needle as some suggested because I did not want to drill out the NVA.)
I replaced the metal tank with a Wynn Robins style clunk tank with muffler pressure.
The best prop so far is a 12x4 ProZinger cut down to an 11x4. (I tried a stock 11x4 ProZinger and it is not the same. Thanks Arlan.) I have a 3 blade prop I am going to try just because I can. (Thanks Bill)
The Twister is one nice plane to fly. Very responsive. It flys a lot better then I can fly it. I am surprised there is not an ARF  F-Twister. Seems like all the good planes are offered as ARF's. <=
Thanks to everyone that helped me, and gave advice. I took it. ;D
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Harleyman

• ACE
  • Captain
    • Circle Masters
Re: From one newbie to another….. F-Twister with a LA .40
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 07:13:39 PM »
Still flying on November 29th, you lucky dawg.   y1
Cool picture, it looks nice in the air.
Now you have your own secret formula that you should be able to repeat time and time again.
Good feeling huh.

Tell Propbuster I'm staying off the sidewalks now that he's driving.     **)
Chris Sterner
AMA 1825
EAA 1429853
https://circlemasters.com

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 07:14:28 PM »
way to go Paul!! Plane looks good. And I'm glad it's all working.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 08:28:15 AM »
Thanks guys...

Well Chris if it makes you feel better we will be in the 30's this weekend. :'(

This post was just put up for others that are maybe new or just getting back into C/L.

Just as a FYI.... I hope it might help someone else- learn from my mistakes. HB~>
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Dennis Vander Kuur

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 09:23:52 AM »
Paul,
I had an OS .40FP with a remote needle valve that always gave me an erratic run for the last 8-10 laps of each flight. Like you, I replaced the remote setup with the older style stock OS spraybar through the venturi and that fixed it. Now at the end of the flight it leans out slightly for one lap and then quits clean  :).
Dennis
Dennis L. Vander Kuur
AMA 29292

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here