News:

• March 29, 2024, 02:49:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine choice for Flite Streak  (Read 2538 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Engine choice for Flite Streak
« on: April 08, 2013, 04:39:26 PM »
    Hi Gang:

Which would be a better choice to power a full sized Flite Streak?

The ST seems to have a ton of power but will not 4-2-4.  The Fox will run the 4-2-4 very well.  I have both engines and they are both a dream to use.

Tia,

Frank

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Engine choice for Flite Streak
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 04:43:11 PM »
Hi Frank,

You accidentally left out what displacement the "ST" is. ;D  It could be easier to give answers (opinions!) if you tell us that.

I have to think an OS .25LA or if you can get it, an OS .20FP would be your "BEST" choice anyway!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 05:15:20 PM »
Yup.  OS 20FP or a 25LA.  Both have worked great on my Fright Streak in box-stock condition.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 06:19:30 PM »
Yes, the FP20 is best but it needs to be the ABN version and not the "older" version. Do a search and you will find a wealth of information.
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline James D. Hayes

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 06:28:42 PM »
One of my builds for this year is a Combat streak full fuselage kit. I have an old school .35 fox combat that I'm hoping will pair up nice with this old kit. Maybe a more modern engine would be a good idea for me also. All advice appreciated.

Jim Hayes
Just do it......

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 06:35:49 PM »
    Hi Gang:

Which would be a better choice to power a full sized Flite Streak?

The ST seems to have a ton of power but will not 4-2-4.  The Fox will run the 4-2-4 very well.  I have both engines and they are both a dream to use.

Tia,

Frank

Hi Frank,

The Fox .35 will work quite well.

It did on my Flite Streak.
De Hill

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 06:53:15 PM »
I can't remember if I had a Fox 36X or ST 35C on mine. I never lacked for power.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 06:57:34 PM »
     Shucks Guys:

I placed the engine sizes in the topic header without realizing that they would not show up on the body of the message.  Learn something every day!

In any case, the ST is a G20/23 and the Fox is a .25 from the 50's. It is the first series that looks like a smaller version of the Fox .35.  I read an old Engine Review that the .25 had MORE power than the .35.  Both of these engines are very light compared to the .35 engines that I see in some FS.

The G20/23 is a very nice engine that seems to like small props turning high rpms.  The Fox on the other hand, really likes to run in a 4 cycle.  I hope that it will break into a 2 cycle when needed.  Both of these engines are very nice to start and run plus I have them in my "junk" box of engines.

What I do not want is a Sport plane that is very fast!  This is why I am interested in the smaller engines plus the smaller engines are much lighter than the the often used .35 engines.  I enjoy flying a light airplane.

The on person who mentioned a Combat Streak reminded of the one that I have.  I only flew it a couple of times with a ST G21/35 engine.  Talk about fast!!!!! It is a shame that the Combat Streak got screwed when the rules for Slow Combat were written.  It is a great kit and seemed to fly well.  I even put flaps on mine! Lol

Thanks for all of the replies.

Be well,

Frank

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 07:33:14 PM »
   Hi Frank;
    I don't have any experience with the ST G20/23 so can't comment on that one, but the Fox .25 should be a decent choice for the performance you say you are looking for. Just use proper fuel, and prop it correctly, and you'll get a nice sport model, I would guess about on par with what the OS LA.25 would perform at. Try some 9-5 to 9-6 props to start of with, after the engine is broken in properly.  You also didn't specify if it was a kit/scratch built Streak, or an ARF. The ARF is quite light, but a kit built version should fly sedately with the Fox .25 also.
   Good luck and have fun,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 07:43:12 PM »
   Hi Frank;
    I don't have any experience with the ST G20/23 so can't comment on that one, but the Fox .25 should be a decent choice for the performance you say you are looking for. Just use proper fuel, and prop it correctly, and you'll get a nice sport model, I would guess about on par with what the OS LA.25 would perform at. Try some 9-5 to 9-6 props to start of with, after the engine is broken in properly.  You also didn't specify if it was a kit/scratch built Streak, or an ARF. The ARF is quite light, but a kit built version should fly sedately with the Fox .25 also.
   Good luck and have fun,
     Dan McEntee

Dan,
I've run several old style light case Fox 25's and they are nice little engines that run and start well.  However in my opinion they have about half of the power of an LA25.  No contest!

Still, I'm not arguing that the fox 25 would not be adequate for the Flite Streak if kept light.  It might be a little on the soft side as a stunt trainer or such but as you said it would probably be OK for sport flying.

The LA25 or the FP 20 makes the Flite Streak into a viable airplane however.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 09:24:14 PM »
    Shucks Guys:

I placed the engine sizes in the topic header without realizing that they would not show up on the body of the message.  Learn something every day!

In any case, the ST is a G20/23 and the Fox is a .25 from the 50's. It is the first series that looks like a smaller version of the Fox .35.  I read an old Engine Review that the .25 had MORE power than the .35.  Both of these engines are very light compared to the .35 engines that I see in some FS.

The G20/23 is a very nice engine that seems to like small props turning high rpms.  The Fox on the other hand, really likes to run in a 4 cycle.  I hope that it will break into a 2 cycle when needed.  Both of these engines are very nice to start and run plus I have them in my "junk" box of engines.

What I do not want is a Sport plane that is very fast!  This is why I am interested in the smaller engines plus the smaller engines are much lighter than the the often used .35 engines.  I enjoy flying a light airplane.

The on person who mentioned a Combat Streak reminded of the one that I have.  I only flew it a couple of times with a ST G21/35 engine.  Talk about fast!!!!! It is a shame that the Combat Streak got screwed when the rules for Slow Combat were written.  It is a great kit and seemed to fly well.  I even put flaps on mine! Lol

Thanks for all of the replies.

Be well,

Frank

Of those two, I think the G20/23 would be a good choice. It has a lot of power, more than a Veco 19, which is known to be a good engine for a Flite Streak.

Brett

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 08:02:24 AM »
You say you have a Tiger and a Fox.   No mention of an OS LA.   Go with the Fox.  If it doesn't meet your expectations, then do the Super Tiger.  The mountings holes shouldn't be that far off.   I flew my Flite Streaks with McCoy Redhead .35 and K&B Greenhead .35.   Lots of power with those.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 08:45:32 AM »
Frank, I have a Flitestreak powered with a Fox .19 and it is a perfectly adwquate sport flyer. The nice thing about the Fox .25 is that it will run a nice 4-2-4 type run or you can lean it out and go fast if you like.
Seems to me that I recall some one winning the nats with a Fox .25 on a .35 size plane 'back in the day'  might have been Jack Sheeks, I'm not sure though.
IMHO, the Fox .25 will do what you want to do very well.
The ST G20/.23 will also fly a Flitestreak very well but very fast if you run it like it likes to run.
Regards, Phil Bare

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 09:14:44 AM »
Remember the Flite Streak was intended for .19-.35 BEFORE there were schnuerle engines. Also, both the Fox .25 and the ST G20/23 were regarded as very good engines.

You can run either engine with a relatively flat prop to get lots of pull without excessive speed. If I understand correctly, you want to slow the FS to a reasonable speed. Are you using it to learn stunt ('scuse me...Precision Aerobatics  ;D )?

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 10:36:31 AM »
Frank, I have a Flitestreak powered with a Fox .19 and it is a perfectly adwquate sport flyer. The nice thing about the Fox .25 is that it will run a nice 4-2-4 type run or you can lean it out and go fast if you like.
Seems to me that I recall some one winning the nats with a Fox .25 on a .35 size plane 'back in the day'  might have been Jack Sheeks, I'm not sure though.
IMHO, the Fox .25 will do what you want to do very well.
The ST G20/.23 will also fly a Flitestreak very well but very fast if you run it like it likes to run.
Regards, Phil Bare

I would be very surprised if a Flite Streak with a G20/23 and a 9-4 is inordinately fast.

Brett

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 01:28:08 PM »
Brett, I would imagine that a Flitestreak powered with a ST G20/23 with an 8x6 prop would be called slow, also.          :)

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 02:36:51 PM »
I have a G20-23 on my Flite Streak.  I started out with whatever venturi was on it and an APC 9x5.  As a friend remarked, looked like I was trying to fly fast combat stunt.   Venturi with 1/8 inch hole and with an APC 9 x 4, on 62 ft lines, it was slow enough I could fly a pattern with it. 

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 02:45:42 PM »
Hi Frank,

Although I do not have any experience with a ST G20/23, and I do have a soft spot in my heart for the Fox .25 you describe, I would probably go with the ST.  Use a 9-4 prop as suggested and let it run just slightly less than peak.

If you want a "nostalgic" experience then go with the Fox .25 in a 4-2.  All depends on what YOU want to do.  It will still fly the Flite Streak at an acceptable level, especially if you can keep it on the light side.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 03:19:10 PM »
Brett, I would imagine that a Flitestreak powered with a ST G20/23 with an 8x6 prop would be called slow, also.          :)

That should move right along, I would think, by stunt standards. Not too impressive compared to a G21/35, that's for sure.

6" of pitch is not the way to go for stunt.

Brett

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
                      This is my engine choice, it doesn't get any better. Fire it off and hang on. It took the nose off the plane twice. Power isn't an issue.

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 04:45:54 PM »
Brett, my experience with the ST G20/23 is that it does like to rev and you are correct, for stunt a 9x4 prop would be about right.
The Fox .25 will be happy with a 9x5 and give a nice 4-2-4 run.
Either engine will work nicely on a Flightstreak.
Heck, even my OS LA.25 might even be made to fly a Flitestreak..............................:-)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 04:46:49 PM »
Did anyone bother asking what you wanted to do with the plane?  Most of the recommendations are if you want to stunt with it.  What floats your boat?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 04:53:07 PM »
Kenneth, hard to beat a coffin back Fox if ya wanna go fast and tear up the sky.  Those are great engines.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 08:05:07 PM »
Brett, my experience with the ST G20/23 is that it does like to rev and you are correct, for stunt a 9x4 prop would be about right.
The Fox .25 will be happy with a 9x5 and give a nice 4-2-4 run.
Either engine will work nicely on a Flightstreak.
Heck, even my OS LA.25 might even be made to fly a Flitestreak..............................:-)

Just possibly. The two I have would fly a Biplane Flite Streak at about 80 mph.

Brett

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 10:58:08 PM »
I've used the Enya SS30 S on the ARF Fight Streak and it is a great engine. Weighs about the same as a Fox 35 without the silencer and that too weighs very little. Just run it in slowly and it will do a great job. You can mail order it directly from Enya as well on their website. http://www.enya-engine.com/ListCL_E.html It will also last for years as well.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 03:51:43 AM »
I've used the Enya SS30 S on the ARF Fight Streak and it is a great engine. Weighs about the same as a Fox 35 without the silencer and that too weighs very little. Just run it in slowly and it will do a great job. You can mail order it directly from Enya as well on their website. http://www.enya-engine.com/ListCL_E.html It will also last for years as well.

Keith R

I flew a couple of times with someone who also had an SS30 in an ARF Streak, which was their first step up from 1/2A models.  The choice of a 9x7 was perhaps not ideal - it went very very fast, but sadly there wasn't much left of the model after the first attempt at inverted! Agreed that it's a great engine though - I run mine with a 10.5x4.5, on 5% nitro, and it's utterly consistent and reliable. Plenty of power, too.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 02:44:58 PM »
The FP 20 with BBTU is about the best bet for the Flitestreak. All the ABN versions work like peas out of a pod. The older version FP 20 should not be written off. I have 2 of the older type that are indistinguishable in performance to the ABN versions. A third one doesn't work in the BBTU mode. So if you only have the older version, try it, it may well work!

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 04:58:40 PM »
Frank has an ST 20/23 and a Fox.Stunt .25, his question was which would be most suitable for making a Flitestreak a less than a rocket sport flyer.
The Fox .25 is the obvious choice  Nice 4-2-4 run and easy handeling.

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 03:36:35 PM »
If I were to build a new flight streak, it would have either a Fox combat special Mk 4 or 6.

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 03:48:49 PM »
Frank has an ST 20/23 and a Fox.Stunt .25, his question was which would be most suitable for making a Flitestreak a less than a rocket sport flyer.
The Fox .25 is the obvious choice  Nice 4-2-4 run and easy handeling.

Phil is correct. It's funny how you can ask which of two engines to use on a Flite Streak and get this many off the subject answers!!   y1
De Hill

Offline Jerry Higgins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 03:53:37 PM »
I have had several Flite Streaks, one with a Fox 35, one with a FP 25 and one with a LA 25.  The Fox 35 and LA 25 run a nice 4-2-4 break and fly slow (the LA needs a lower pitch prop than the Fox).  The FP gave me a high-speed flight, even with a 9X3 prop.  I had to add a nose doubler for the Fox 35 powered Flite Streak because you could actually see the nose vibrating, which tended to cause poor engine runs and broke the glue joint between the fuselage and wing.

Jerry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here